Charcoal vs. propane **With Poll**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which is better for KT?

• Charcoal

• Propane

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Keith,go with what ElFinex said if you go charcoal.The smokestack(or whatever it's marketed as) is the bomb.Lighter fluid can add an after taste to food if used wrong.Using a smokestack,you will never need lighter fluid,plus there is a wow factor to it.

yeah, I wanted to 3rd this suggestion. those stacks are the bomb.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
buy a chimney starter from HD or wherever you get the grill. it'll be with the accessories. you put briquettes in the top, a couple crumpled up sheets of newspaper in the bottom, and then light it. no lighter fluid necessary.

Sounds easy peasy. :)

KT

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
that's the one at University/San Pablo, correct? I tried their ribs once. Haven't tried brisket, which I think is limited? I don't really know brisket that well anyway, so it'd be difficult for me to form much of an opinion on that.

The best BBQ I've had recently was back in January, when I brought back 4 pints from my favorite local spot back home. :(

Correct. E&J also has a place at Jack London square. I'm a brisket fan and theirs is pretty ok. The only brisket I've ever thought was really good was made by a friend who stayed up all night with his smokers. That punk has gotten lazy lately and claims that makes him tired. :rolleyes:

Ah,well. If I find local BBQ nirvana I'll let you know.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well, the chimney starter will put out a fair bit of smoke while the newspaper is burning.

I assume that would only be for a relatively short period at them beginning though. As long as it is not a sustained plume of smoke eminating from my patio, it should be ok.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Correct. E&J also has a place at Jack London square. I'm a brisket fan and theirs is pretty ok. The only brisket I've ever thought was really good was made by a friend who stayed up all night with his smokers. That punk has gotten lazy lately and claims that makes him tired. :rolleyes:

Ah,well. If I find local BBQ nirvana I'll let you know.

I smoked a pork shoulder last week using a newly-assembled AB-style flowerpot smoker. it was excellent. I'll probably be doing that again very soon. I have a friend here who is from Texas that claims his GF makes some spectacular brisket. I think I'll attempt that too....

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I use both on a regular basis. For occasional use, I would go with charcoal and something like the Lodge grill already mentioned. Along with the chimney starter, I would get a small coal shovel, high temp brush and a steel bucket for hot coals. Most folks let the coals sit overnight to cool but, you'd be amazed at how many trash can fires were started by 'cold ashes.'

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I assume that would only be for a relatively short period at them beginning though. As long as it is not a sustained plume of smoke eminating from my patio, it should be ok.

KT

they can get very smokey during cooking, too. and the smell of burning charcoal can be quite strong. It smells great though, and the only person that's really going to be saturated by that smell will be you--or whoever is hanging out next to the grill. ...It can linger on you for a day.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If I had to choose one over the other, then propane. Sorry. Just enjoy the convenience. If you have a grill that is a couple years old, then you have enough drippings/seasoned metal to impart some flavor. Sounds gross...but that's just how it works.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ugh, maybe I'll check with the Strata Council just to make sure. I don't want to cause a problem just for some tasty meat.

Thanks for all the help guys! :thumbsup:

KT

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
buy a chimney starter from HD or wherever you get the grill. it'll be with the accessories. you put briquettes in the top, a couple crumpled up sheets of newspaper in the bottom, and then light it. no lighter fluid necessary.

this and only this. there is no other option.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I personally cook on a natural gas grill. It costs a little more for the grill and to install the line but it's 100% worth it IMO. No filling propane tanks and no risk of running out of fuel in the middle of a cook out.

The type of fuel largely depends on what you're cooking IMO. Charcoal implants a smoky flavour to your food but that's not always desired. Like Zinfamous said, charcoal can also get really smoky too. I wouldn't want to use it if you have bitchy neighbours as it can really stink up the entire street. Charcoal is best for cooking blander meats like chicken, burgers, and white fish to give it a bit more flavours.

On the other hand, full flavoured foods or more delicate foods are best cooked on a propane or natural gas grill. Steak is at its best when it's cooked on a clean heat. You want the flavour of the meat itself to come through. All a good quality cut needs is salt and pepper. Same goes for pretty much any meat that has a higher fat content or stronger flavour. This includes beef and lamb. Vegetables too are best grilled on gas because you don't want them to have a smoky taste. Pork and veal can go either way. Veal is best cooked indoors though in sauces.

It's also easier to control the heat with gas. Certain types of food such as pulled pork or others that require slow cooking times or indirect heat will be much easier to cook. You can simply turn burners down or off. No need to push the coals around. Need more heat, it's on demand. If you miss the smoky flavour with gas alone, try adding some cumin or smoked Spanish paprika to your foods. I wouldn't use liquid smoke. . Gas grills are a good opportunity to play with different herbs and spices. Cumin is one of my favourites, along with strong herbs such as basil and rosemary.

When cooking on charcoal, I've been told lump charcoal is the best fuel as opposed to briquettes. I've used the latter and they're garbage. They take forever to heat up. The so called "easy light" ones are no better. Buy a bbq chimney to preheat the charcoal. Makes it easier to start. If you want to get serious about grilling, it's a good idea to keep both types of grills on hand. Even a small portable charcoal grill is plenty to do up some burgers. You can get one for as little as $30. Larger ones are usually much cheaper than propane.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
BBQ

bbq-ribs.jpg

Grill:
Charcoal_BBQ_Grill.jpg

While I much prefer charcoal or wood for grilling, I would think that propane would be much more convenient for a condo balcony.

Roommate quite a long while ago had one of these set up on our balcony. He had a bbq one night and figured it would be safe to just let the thing go out on it's own over night. Next morning, wake up and find out that half the balcony burned away... Surprisingly, there wasn't a fire but I guess it just smoldered all night long. just say the landlord was not happy at all, and banned us from ever having a grill again.

Nov 20, 2009
Between 2001 and 2007 I grilled by Propane approximately 4-6 times per week. Each grilling made enough for two meals. So look at it that I got about 10 grill-based meals per week.

In 2007 I got moved to a day shift (instead of my 3rd) and grilling dropped to once per week, but still by Propane. Last year I had a natural gas line run outdoors to the deck, but since the economy tanked the place where I bought my custom grilled closed up shop.

This sucks because i need to replace the valves that will allow a larger volume of NG to flow as NG has less energy than Propane. If my grill was working I'd be grilling at this moment. I like to grill, and liked to grill very often, and it was too often to use Charcoal.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
propane, less expensive, less work and taste difference is negligible. Also if you use charcoal wrong it can taste bad, ie to much ligher fluid.

We use charcoal though lol, free grill.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I prefer charcoal for the taste it imparts to the food and found a grill at lowes that has a removable grate/tray that the charcoal sits on that makes cleanup of old ashes a breeze.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I have both :p

I grill dinner on the weekdays quite often, propane ftmfw

I also smoke and or grill during the weekend when there is more time. Charcoal for the win

The taste difference is there, but it aint much, plus I love the smell of charcoal, and indirect smoking makes some damn good meats

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
May have already been metnioned but:

Check your HOA rules and also your property insurance. Often, Charcoal grills are banned due to them being a fire hazard.

Lucky777

Jul 10, 2008
When you use charcoal, you're supporting COMMUNISM -- THAT'S RIGHT, COMMUNISM.

ARE YOU A REAL AMERICAN OR NOT!?!!!

hank-hill.jpg

Be a real American. Use propane.