• Charcoal

• Propane

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm looking to pick up a little BBQ. Needs to be something small because I'm in a condo and the patio is not very big at all, plus I don't want to spend a tonne since I doubt I'll use it that much.

After looking at the HD website, I saw a few different ones, but I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to get a propane grill or a charcoal one.

I was looking at some of these (I hear Weber is good): http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/bbqs-weber-200to400/172417+4294967232+22 the first two look a little big, but the other ones may be ok.

Anyone have experience or suggestions? Hank Hill?

Thanks! :awe:

KT

Oct 27, 2007
Propane is faster and simpler, less messy. Charcoal is more versatile by a long shot, and some would argue the food tastes better. I would go with charcoal if it's something you don't see yourself using much. Make those occasional BBQs a little more special.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Propane is faster and simpler, less messy. Charcoal is more versatile by a long shot, and some would argue the food tastes better. I would go with charcoal if it's something you don't see yourself using much. Make those occasional BBQs a little more special.

Winnar!

/thread.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

That's a fair assessment. Charcoal isn't something convenient enough to enjoy doing often. That's why I go propane. Food still tastes incredible, lots of control over the heat etc., and is extremely low maintenance.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Nice, thanks.

I assume the charcoal is where I have to squeeze lighter fluid on it and whatnot, but I'm hoping that will all be covered in the instruction manual (I'm obviously a complete noob with respect to grilling).

I'll mainly be using it just cook up some steaks, burgers, and some planked fish here and there, plus I was hoping to try and smoke something at some point. I'm sure I'll only use it once or twice a week at the absolute most.

KT

Oct 27, 2007
Nice, thanks.

I assume the charcoal is where I have to squeeze lighter fluid on it and whatnot, but I'm hoping that will all be covered in the instruction manual (I'm obviously a complete noob with respect to grilling).

I'll mainly be using it just cook up some steaks, burgers, and some planked fish here and there, plus I was hoping to try and smoke something at some point. I'm sure I'll only use it once or twice a week at the absolute most.

KT
Check out Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on charcoal grilling, it has all the info you'll need :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
BBQ

bbq-ribs.jpg

Grill:
Charcoal_BBQ_Grill.jpg

While I much prefer charcoal or wood for grilling, I would think that propane would be much more convenient for a condo balcony.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
BBQ

bbq-ribs.jpg

Grill:
Charcoal_BBQ_Grill.jpg

While I much prefer charcoal or wood for grilling, I would think that propane would be much more convenient for a condo balcony.

Well they are listed as BBQs on the HD website. ^_^

KT

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
BBQ

Grill:

Oh stop being so pedantic.

What's your favorite BBQ place in the east bay?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Nice, thanks.

KT

buy a chimney starter from HD or wherever you get the grill. it'll be with the accessories. you put briquettes in the top, a couple crumpled up sheets of newspaper in the bottom, and then light it. no lighter fluid necessary.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh stop being so pedantic.

What's your favorite BBQ place in the east bay?

I defend my state's #1 cultural & culinary contribution to the world with unbridled fury! :D

You know, I haven't been to or seen too many BBQ joints around here. There really isn't much in Berkeley (only 2 that I know of. Tried one of them and it's OK.)

I think I have to drive out the suburbs to find them. :(

Oh right, you're in Berkeley!

I tried the one at San Pablo and University, forget what it's called. pretty good. I do want to try KC's, which is near Parker? on San Pablo. It was always closed when I drive by, and only recently have I noticed it being open.

The two things I miss most about NC are BBQ and fried chicken. :(

Last edited:

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I defend my state's #1 cultural & culinary contribution to the world with unbridled fury! :D

You know, I haven't been to or seen too many BBQ joints around here. There really isn't much in Berkeley (only 2 that I know of. Tried one of them and it's OK.)

I think I have to drive out the suburbs to find them. :(

Dang. You seem like someone who would know good BBQ and I hoped you had secret knowledge of an awesome BBQ place. I'm not psyched by any of the places I've been to recently.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Keith,go with what ElFinex said if you go charcoal.The smokestack(or whatever it's marketed as) is the bomb.Lighter fluid can add an after taste to food if used wrong.Using a smokestack,you will never need lighter fluid,plus there is a wow factor to it.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
To me, grilling is a ritual and a process. When I think of grilling I want to spend an hour out doors sitting by the bbq, enjoying the scenery and watching my meat cook. Charcoal is the way.

If you're in a hurry just stay in the kitchen.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, Everett and jones is where I normally go. Don't know of anywhere better. Haven't tried KC's either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dang. You seem like someone who would know good BBQ and I hoped you had secret knowledge of an awesome BBQ place. I'm not psyched by any of the places I've been to recently.

there's some place that apparently has tons of shops--it's a restaurant and a butchers, I think it's called Keever's? something like that. I recently saw an ad on TV, but they are all in Pleasanton, San Carlos, Richmond, etc...

Richmond might be close enough of a drive...but then you have to be in Richmond. D:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
buy a chimney starter from HD or wherever you get the grill. it'll be with the accessories. you put briquettes in the top, a couple crumpled up sheets of newspaper in the bottom, and then light it. no lighter fluid necessary.

Yep, I switched to a chimney starter a few years ago, and have been happy with my decision.
You should be able to pick up an acceptable charcoal grill for $30-50 (USD). I'm not sure how well you can smoke meat in one though, I have a dedicated smoker for that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, Everett and jones is where I normally go. Don't know of anywhere better. Haven't tried KC's either.

that's the one at University/San Pablo, correct? I tried their ribs once. Haven't tried brisket, which I think is limited? I don't really know brisket that well anyway, so it'd be difficult for me to form much of an opinion on that.

The best BBQ I've had recently was back in January, when I brought back 4 pints from my favorite local spot back home. :(