Charcoal Chimnee -

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
In another thread I asked for alternatives to using lighter fluid to start coles (it leaves a funny taste on the meat unless you let them burn a long time). Several of you mentioned a charcoal chimnee. So I got one, and it is AMAZING. Seriously, it might be the closest thing to magic I've ever seen. Just put a few pieces of paper under it, light, and in 5 minutes or less you have a huge pot of glowing red coles. Thanks so much to all who recommended it!

Question. The only issue with it I see is pouring the coles out into the grill. Little pieces of fire float away all over the place. Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanks so much!

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
coles_laveranues.jpg

food_service_pg4_pic02.jpg

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Next step. Buy a propane torch and skip the newspaper.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So Ns1, you just apply the propane torch to one coal until it starts to smoke, then walk away for several minutes and let it do its thing? Or how do you otherwise use a propane torch? Thanks!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I put all the charcoal in the chimney, lift the chimney up, fire the propane torch on max into the bottom of the chimney for 15 seconds (or more, depending on how much of a hurry I'm in), put it down and walk away.

it's only marginally faster than newspaper, but it sure is a lot more fun.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I am convinced men are all pyros

I remember being 11-12 with two of my friends lighting newspaper on fire just to see it burn. Had some neighbor go rat on us to my friend's dad. He just laughed it off and told us to clean up the mess when we're done.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I remember being 11-12 with two of my friends lighting newspaper on fire just to see it burn. Had some neighbor go rat on us to my friend's dad. He just laughed it off and told us to clean up the mess when we're done.

I remember my aunt had a wood burning water heater and whenever we visit we would ask if we can stoke the fire, though no one neeed hot water in the middle of the day.

Must be 35 to 40 years ago.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I remember my aunt had a wood burning water heater and whenever we visit we would ask if we can stoke the fire, though no one neeed hot water in the middle of the day.

Must be 35 to 40 years ago.

I had a great aunt who cooked on a wood burning stove. She was a dam good cook and her fresh breads......wow

Reactions: louis redfoot

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I thought these worked only with the brand-name briquettes, how do the tinier pieces of charcoal not fall out of the holes?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Quick tip - learned this from an egg forum, but I also use it to light my chimney as well - soak some cotton balls in 93% alcohol. Instead of newspaper, put 2-3 at the bottom of your chimney and light. It's pretty much guaranteed to light your charcoal, as depending on wind and size of the pieces of lump, newspaper wouldn't always work for me. Cotton balls help light it up a lot faster.

Murloc - chimney has a 1cm gap between the grates at the bottom...small enough to catch most of the pieces. Otherwise, you just dump the lit ones on any charcoal that falls out.

louis redfoot

Feb 2, 2017
Saw this on Kickstarter. It's interesting. I'm not sure why it starts charcoal faster than a chimney. It's quite small so It's uses are limited. Maybe a person with no outdoor space save a tiny narrow balcony. or yard. And good for taking it to the beach as long as it's not too many people.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...m_medium=referral&utm_source=12dsa.fnd.to

that looks like the poor man's smoker from the other thread, ie a filing cabinet with a hole on the bottom

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Saw this on Kickstarter. It's interesting. I'm not sure why it starts charcoal faster than a chimney. It's quite small so It's uses are limited. Maybe a person with no outdoor space save a tiny narrow balcony. or yard. And good for taking it to the beach as long as it's not too many people.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...m_medium=referral&utm_source=12dsa.fnd.to

It says, "
All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, April 22 2017 11:13 AM MDT."

Does that mean Kickstarter keeps the money if it doesn't reach the 20k goal?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It says, "
All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, April 22 2017 11:13 AM MDT."

Does that mean Kickstarter keeps the money if it doesn't reach the 20k goal?

If a project is never funded to it's goal then your card is never charged. If the project is funded but shit goes wrong afterwards with the seller not coming through with the product, then you are on your own to deal with the seller or use the civil courts.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If a project is never funded to it's goal then your card is never charged. If the project is funded but shit goes wrong afterwards with the seller not coming through with the product, then you are on your own to deal with the seller or use the civil courts.
Are there any percentages on how many funded projects end up not shipping?
There's a nice rucksack on Kickstarter but I really don't like the whole system!