Changing jobs....

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I was being shuffled into a new department and didn't like the setup... It was going to be adding a ton of work and management downplayed the workload and projects. (which scared me because either they just wanted to dump on me or were honestly that naive about the crap they're about to step in) I asked for more money since future promotion wouldn't have been a likely in the new dept and management only came to the table with less than half of my request. 2 weeks later I put in my notice for a job with less responsibility, direct reports, and slightly less pay to start, but with more money promised next year that would surpass what I was asking of the current knuckleheads. I hate to leave them in a pickle, but it's funny because I would have totally stayed had they agreed to my meager request 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else jumping ship from their current jobs and moving since so many others are? I feel like this is a great time to move to battle salary compression if you've been in one place too long.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have never been able to "jump ship".
My problem is always something else, like the company shutting down and mass layoffs (hynix)
or not being able to afford me (tektronix)
or letting me go cuz I take time off after a personal emergency (astra zeneca)

so the idea of having multiple options and getting to choose when I leave is sorta foreign.

• Wow
Reactions: DigDog

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I have had a few opportunities pop up in the last year or so, but I've been so happy with the change I made in the middle of 2019 that I've got no interest in moving. I'm being paid exceedingly well to do very little work and have a ton of freedom that I wouldn't get otherwise if I moved into a higher level management role or more office based position.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have had a few opportunities pop up in the last year or so, but I've been so happy with the change I made in the middle of 2019 that I've got no interest in moving. I'm being paid exceedingly well to do very little work and have a ton of freedom that I wouldn't get otherwise if I moved into a higher level management role or more office based position.
I'm giving up a lot of potential freedom. However, due to the proposed changes in my reporting and new work that would come at me, I think this is a good time to take control...especially if there's more money down the road. It's really tough to navigate things when you're going from a really good situation to something different. It's tough to judge which something different is going to be worse in the long run.

...in the short run, however, I get to dump my accrued workload and start fresh while making more money. I've heard whispers that the guy I'm replacing wasn't all that attentive....so that means I don't necessarily have to work that hard to make a good impression? (we'll see)

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
We've had a serious rash of people leaving my dept. I work in IT... in the past few weeks we've had several developers leave for 100% work from home jobs. Every one of these people have gotten between 30%-60% pay increases with the new job. As a result, literally everyone else who is left here has started looking. We all like more money, right?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
We've had a serious rash of people leaving my dept. I work in IT... in the past few weeks we've had several developers leave for 100% work from home jobs. Every one of these people have gotten between 30%-60% pay increases with the new job. As a result, literally everyone else who is left here has started looking. We all like more money, right?
It's happened a lot here too. It's just tough to balance the value of paid leave and flexibility vs more money and working from home. (which can be good and bad)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My previous company was like 150 employees and got bought out by a 10k+ company and they tried to sell it to us like it was a good thing. I immediately started looking for a new job and 3 months later I had a new one lined up making $35k more than what I was making at the time. I also knew for a fact that with the company that bought us out, the raises each year would be lower than what I was getting before, which were decent.

When I gave them my 2 weeks notice I saw a side of the company I had never seen before. They were just jerks and tried to bring up all this stuff in the past of how good they were to me, etc. I flat out told em I didn't want to work for a large company and that is why I initially worked for them. Plus I'm going to be getting more money and they tried to get me to tell them exactly how much, and I gave them a range which they knew was way more than they could afford.

On my final day I went to say bye to the owner of the company and thank him for the opportunity as I had been there 7 years and genuinely loved the company, and he was just a complete dick as well.

I left my old company January 2020 and now I'm making $10k more than I was when I started with the new company and I couldn't be happier. This company only has like 60 employees.

So fuck my old company. From what I've heard, they have had like 50% turnover since they were bought out too. I'm sure the company that bought them can't be too excited about that.

Don't worry about the problems your old company has now without you. You aren't a part of that company any longer and are no longer doing them a favor with your services.

Reactions: skyking

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sounds like your company doesn't pay market value.

Reactions: skyking

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Many companies can't react to what the market has been doing in IT. Mobile consulting and tech firms with minimal office space footprint are all over the place. They are paying for dirt cheap cloud resources and saving enough on overhead that they can pay top dollar to attract veteran staff. I've got a few friends that were recruited out of San Diego, but are servicing clients in Pennsylvania and working from North Carolina with minimal travel.

I would totally be on one of those jobs, but I don't need the stress or money that bad. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. My new title will allow me to bridge into other jobs a lot easier than where I'm currently at....so there's that. We'll see if I get bored in 3-5 years.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Many companies can't react to what the market has been doing in IT. Mobile consulting and tech firms with minimal office space footprint are all over the place. They are paying for dirt cheap cloud resources and saving enough on overhead that they can pay top dollar to attract veteran staff. I've got a few friends that were recruited out of San Diego, but are servicing clients in Pennsylvania and working from North Carolina with minimal travel.

I would totally be on one of those jobs, but I don't need the stress or money that bad. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. My new title will allow me to bridge into other jobs a lot easier than where I'm currently at....so there's that. We'll see if I get bored in 3-5 years.
San Diego doesn't pay high salaries in general, at least not in my field, software development. I looked for jobs out there years ago.

I'm in the DMV area and salaries out in San Diego for comparable positions weren't even what I was making at the time here. And I talked to multiple companies and none of them were even offering what I was making at the time.

There was no way I was going to move across the country to a place where COL is double what it is here (and it is not cheap here at all) to make less money. They call it the "sunshine tax" which they can fuck right off with.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'm giving up a lot of potential freedom. However, due to the proposed changes in my reporting and new work that would come at me, I think this is a good time to take control...especially if there's more money down the road. It's really tough to navigate things when you're going from a really good situation to something different. It's tough to judge which something different is going to be worse in the long run.

...in the short run, however, I get to dump my accrued workload and start fresh while making more money. I've heard whispers that the guy I'm replacing wasn't all that attentive....so that means I don't necessarily have to work that hard to make a good impression? (we'll see)
For me, I had signed a new offer with a new company, and before I was able to submit a notice, was promoted and given a very high stakes position with reports at my previous company. This wasn't enough to keep me however (the pay was still less) and ultimately I made the right decision, because with the drop in the market last March, the position I had taken was eliminated anyways.

The new job was with a company that was selling into private equity, which in their case was a great thing. Lots of investment coming into the company and we control our own fate, instead of being a public company focused on the shareholders primarily. Not as much upward mobility as I'd like (there's only two positions above me in my current silo before hitting the CEO) but it is a great short to mid-term length position where I can bank a lot of money and get a lot of experience.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001

Evidently we don't. Prior to COVID & the "work from home" revolution that has taken place, my employer was seen as one of the best places to work in my region. Maybe not so much now. We still get top shelf benefits, but pay is obviously low, and we have to put up with a ton of bs that normal jobs don't have (since we are a govt contractor). And work from home will never be an option...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Evidently we don't. Prior to COVID & the "work from home" revolution that has taken place, my employer was seen as one of the best places to work in my region. Maybe not so much now. We still get top shelf benefits, but pay is obviously low, and we have to put up with a ton of bs that normal jobs don't have (since we are a govt contractor). And work from home will never be an option...
That is how my job was too prior to covid but now they have taken measures to work from home.

Prior to covid, you would get LOL'd out of the room even mentioning working from home due to the nature of work.

Also a government contractor too...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Especially when it's a workers market, not an employer's market (like right now!) this seems to be the way it goes. Move on, get better paid.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
My company is game related (MMO) and I been with it for over 10 years. Was in IT sys admin before joining the company as Customer Service manager solely because... its game company plus I played one of its game!

Later on I moved around, a few years ago gone back full circle and back into IT again as sys admin/devops. In game industry the pay is much less than other fields. (20k more)

But the company has great benefits which I needed for my wife and kid as they have medical needs. But with raising inflation, I might be looking around too. My team is cool and I like the people I have been with all these years.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My company is game related (MMO) and I been with it for over 10 years. Was in IT sys admin before joining the company as Customer Service manager solely because... its game company plus I played one of its game!

Later on I moved around, a few years ago gone back full circle and back into IT again as sys admin/devops. In game industry the pay is much less than other fields. (20k more)

But the company has great benefits which I needed for my wife and kid as they have medical needs. But with raising inflation, I might be looking around too. My team is cool and I like the people I have been with all these years.
When your company has great benefits, it can really make a difference. My dad was working for a big company and he had a heart attack in 1998. A few months after his initial attack, he went back and they put another stint in. He had resigned from his job, but his insurance was still paid for the month and it saved him thousands and thousands of dollars over what his next policy would have paid out.

You're correct...inflation is a concern. Of course, I'm lucky enough to be in a cheap part of the country and almost debt free... At this point, I'm trying to pad my lifestyle and retirement with little regard for anything else. I've got less than 20 more years to work and save before I hit 60. I want to make them count.

Dec 10, 2005
I haven't jumped jobs since I do like the people I work with and the work I do, but I certainly complained loud enough to get a nice raise this year. Easy enough to do when recruiters are relentless in my industry, WFH is a norm for many competitor companies (though I've been remote for 3+ years), and I've grown some accounts. I better get more money if I bring in a ton more money for the company.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I haven't jumped jobs since I do like the people I work with and the work I do, but I certainly complained loud enough to get a nice raise this year. Easy enough to do when recruiters are relentless in my industry, WFH is a norm for many competitor companies (though I've been remote for 3+ years), and I've grown some accounts. I better get more money if I bring in a ton more money for the company.
That's what kills me. I was all about driving results and providing the data for the marketing teams. Oddly enough, they signed away $1M or more of cash but wouldn't pay me to give them real data. Ohh well....I'm torn now on passing my work on before I go or holding it back since it's all custom programming that runs on my workstation. I'm mostly afraid I'll have to continue supporting it after I leave if I hand it off.

Dec 10, 2005
That's what kills me. I was all about driving results and providing the data for the marketing teams. Oddly enough, they signed away $1M or more of cash but wouldn't pay me to give them real data. Ohh well....I'm torn now on passing my work on before I go or holding it back since it's all custom programming that runs on my workstation. I'm mostly afraid I'll have to continue supporting it after I leave if I hand it off.
If you "have" to support it, provide them with your consulting rate.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
the petty short sightedness is mind boggling.
On another note, my wife got a company wide email that talked about all the hardships in the last year and how they were doing an across the board 2.5% raise, and retention bonuses, and if you didn't get one of those then a $1000 appreciation bonus. That one two checks over 6 months.
Somebody told them they better do something. Oh boy they did something all right. It is mostly an insult, or a joke. 5% inflation this year and they brag about 2.5%. Wow.
:facepalm:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
My previous company was like 150 employees and got bought out by a 10k+ company and they tried to sell it to us like it was a good thing. I immediately started looking for a new job and 3 months later I had a new one lined up making $35k more than what I was making at the time. I also knew for a fact that with the company that bought us out, the raises each year would be lower than what I was getting before, which were decent.

When I gave them my 2 weeks notice I saw a side of the company I had never seen before. They were just jerks and tried to bring up all this stuff in the past of how good they were to me, etc. I flat out told em I didn't want to work for a large company and that is why I initially worked for them. Plus I'm going to be getting more money and they tried to get me to tell them exactly how much, and I gave them a range which they knew was way more than they could afford.

On my final day I went to say bye to the owner of the company and thank him for the opportunity as I had been there 7 years and genuinely loved the company, and he was just a complete dick as well.

I left my old company January 2020 and now I'm making $10k more than I was when I started with the new company and I couldn't be happier. This company only has like 60 employees.

So fuck my old company. From what I've heard, they have had like 50% turnover since they were bought out too. I'm sure the company that bought them can't be too excited about that.

Don't worry about the problems your old company has now without you. You aren't a part of that company any longer and are no longer doing them a favor with your services.
Almost sounds like the AT&T buyout of DirecTV . I got burned on that one. Thankfully at the time the shares were higher than they are now.
I should have took my current job in 07, I would be sitting pretty right now.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i'd consider jumping jobs but i only have 7 years until retirement, so i might just stick it out.

then again, i might be closer than that. i got rid of almost all my hobbies because of COVID, so i shouldn't need as much money now.

no more travel, no more hotels, no more festivals or fairs, no more golf. nothing involving other people.

Last edited: