Cellulitis, not to be taken lightly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Ask for ultrasound diagnosis to be sure.
That is unlikely to happen as I don't show other clinical signs, am fairly young, and also on low income insurance.
I need a referral and this primary care is the same who told me to wait four weeks.

Jul 27, 2020

You should immediately start taking this to alleviate the B12 deficiency. Low B12 can result in permanent nerve damage. I wouldn't recommend the cyanocobalamin form of B-12.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

You should immediately start taking this to alleviate the B12 deficiency. Low B12 can result in permanent nerve damage. I wouldn't recommend the cyanocobalamin form of B-12.
There's enough cyanocobalamin for me to go months on it as I bought some originally for my mother, who is old. It's only low according to Japanese and Euro standards. Never have felt any effects and I don't avoid common sources.

I do know that intrinsic factor limits how much can be taken up and eating only a meal or two a day means a lot gets wasted if I eat a megawad of meat. But I also don't have the affinity for meat others have.

Interestingly, my A1C is 5.1, total cholesterol 155, LDL 83. Triglycerides are worse than historically, at 98. Fasting glucose at 88 ng/dL. I am not surprised by either the lower cholesterol or the elevated liver enzymes happening. I had been eating carbs, mostly fruit, a little to frequently to about 50-70mL a da.

Jul 27, 2020

B12 is still a good choice for neuropathy treatment.

I don't understand why you are unperturbed by the cyanide component of cyanocobalamin.

I'm the sketchy pseudoexpert they mention there :D

Nice to be recognized!

PSA: Folks, even a molecule of deadly cyanide taken wilfully is wilful negligence of your health and safety. Thanks for getting alarmed :D

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

B12 is still a good choice for neuropathy treatment.

I don't understand why you are unperturbed by the cyanide component of cyanocobalamin.

I'm the sketchy pseudoexpert they mention there :D

Nice to be recognized!

PSA: Folks, even a molecule of deadly cyanide taken wilfully is wilful negligence of your health and safety. Thanks for getting alarmed :D
I've eaten plenty of almond butter these past few months.

Anyway, they say they did find nerve inflammation in my nerves in the brachial something area, so like my shoulder. But sepsis can cause nerve damage too and that was dismissed by the first doc and then they go hunting for stroke damage.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sepsis in the nerve area progresses really quickly and usually leads to paralysis. You obviously don't have that.
I still find it more plausible than a stroke or Parsonage Turner Syndrome, which is the final "diagnosis" I received from the "expert" neurologist; a shoddy one because I can't say I'm actually feeling pain. Even in their documentation, about 25% of people with it reported an infection. But Doc 1 completely discounted it in my convo with him.

I've learned it before from the workings of car mechanics, but the sheer extent of exploiting ambiguity to make a diagnosis was on full display here. So I did display consider weakness and lack of mobility in my left, thus enough to get a grade of "1" for some stroke score and that's all they need to get me shunted into that protocol.

Maybe my nerves got pinched doing DIY trigger point massage. Maybe. But at the same time, I'm not feeling tingling on contact on my ring, middle, or pinky finger. And the concentration of maximum feeling is where the infection was and the area around it.

Jul 27, 2020

Read up on it and make sure it is ruled out. Otherwise, bad news.

Maybe stop the animal foods for a while and go fully plant based so your body can heal. Animal sourced foods are pro-inflammatory.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Read up on it and make sure it is ruled out. Otherwise, bad news.

Maybe stop the animal foods for a while and go fully plant based so your body can heal. Animal sourced foods are pro-inflammatory.
If this continues to persist, it's a trip to Washington D.C's Georgetown Uni Hospital. It's run by Medstar, another corporate BSer, but that ER facility has delivered results in getting things fixed up right in the past instead of stringing things along the wrong path. (The same cannot be said about Medstar Primary Care)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hmm, blood sugar really is a big deal. The lingering nerve irritation in my thumb is greatly reduced in the fasted state compared to when I eat a bunch of fruit and fig bars; I intentionally ate those things to "keep the infection" in case the doc got convinced, but none were(I'd probably have to change the story to get another batch of antibiotics). The thumb pad is finally becoming flabby and it seems things are indeed near the end.

Also, I think my current doc is scared of me because he did say to wait four weeks even though I clearly stated the symptoms were still there. With my roid-resolve....I'm not very hesitant in severing the ties, consequences be damned. Heck, I'm ready to change MCOs because I have a hunch Kaiser wants to save money and just stuff run their course on Medicaid people.

Hmm, did prolonged cold exposure do something. Because the county bus simply never showed up and I had to stand in windy 50 degree weather as well for about 1hr, 10 mins. But that's less likely than the fasting.

Jul 27, 2020
Hmm, did prolonged cold exposure do something. Because the county bus simply never showed up and I had to stand in windy 50 degree weather as well for about 1hr, 10 mins.
Bacteria need warmth to grow. Your cold body was not to their liking.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Bacteria need warmth to grow. Your cold body was not to their liking.
I don't know.

I ate only four Walmart fig bars and a whole can of grass jelly(44gs+ maybe 8gs). Feeling came back worse. I already knew sugar and too much glucose was bad, but this literally physical feedback, and I do keep track unlike most junk food eaters.
Welp, no more sugar of any kind today. I'm about to megadose on some niacin and thiamine. lol

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Our grandson came to visit a few years back with what looked like a pimple (or possibly an ingrown hair) near his knee. A few days later, we visited the ocean where he spent all day playing in/around the water. The next day, the "pimple" had grown in size and looked infected, so my wife insisted we take him to the urgent care. The doc diagnosed cellulitis, did some minor outpatient surgery, and sent him home with some antibiotics.