Cell phones and crosswalks

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Was in downtown Chicago for work and I was at a cross walk with about 11 other people. The sign changed from don't walk to walk and no one moved. I looked around and everyone was staring down at their phones. I was behind a group of people so squeezed my way through. Thats when the herd realized they could cross and everyone followed me. I wonder if we'll get to the point where cities install visually impaired crosswalk indicators not because of the visually impaired but because no one is paying attention

Reactions: r4sh1d
Nov 8, 2012
Was in downtown Chicago for work and I was at a cross walk with about 11 other people. The sign changed from don't walk to walk and no one moved. I looked around and everyone was staring down at their phones. I was behind a group of people so squeezed my way through. Thats when the herd realized they could cross and everyone followed me. I wonder if we'll get to the point where cities install visually impaired crosswalk indicators not because of the visually impaired but because no one is paying attention

They just have to put the walk signs on the ground, problem solved.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
They just have to put the walk signs on the ground, problem solved.
A phone notification would be cheaper and more effective.

But still, I think this is a solution in search of a problem. Eventually, people will become unable to cross the sidewalk, they will accumulate there forever, pile up, and you can then mold the bodies into a bridge.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

You should have yelled, "TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Though nobody still probably would have looked up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
WAY too many people are disconnected from reality these days and I really dont like it.
Headphones are worse. You arent paying attention to the world around you and are more likely to be mugged, raped, or squished into the ground by a motor vehicle.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
WAY too many people are disconnected from reality these days and I really dont like it.
Headphones are worse. You arent paying attention to the world around you and are more likely to be mugged, raped, or squished into the ground by a motor vehicle.
I'm not seeing the problem.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
1*U36hBj8i-C7JJJxS4MP2HQ.jpeg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

This is why I love pedestrian only zones. No risk of getting mugged or raped by a motor vehicle.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My city (Lexington, KY) has actually painted text on the sidewalks and at intersections. Most of them say "Please look up and pay attention". But there are other things like "Look up. There's another world up there". Or "Do you know what color the sky is today".

I found them amusing. My wife never saw them. She was on her phone.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
When AR arrives for the masses people won't be staring down, but they'll still have the glazed look and rely on prompts to do anything.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When AR arrives for the masses people won't be staring down, but they'll still have the glazed look and rely on prompts to do anything.

I've envisioned just this. It will be a holographic projection in front of their face that they interact with. When that happens, God help us all. But I'm sure like always the government will step in and have to hold our hand because people are just too damn stupid and require regulation.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its pretty bad. I was crossing the street downtown once here in vancouver and i was on the far right of the crosswalk, i was the only person crossing from my side of the street. On the other side there was 3 people crossing, spaced out evenly across their side, one guy on his phone in hand on his far right, my far left, so opposite side of crosswalk as me. The crosswalk switched and we all started to cross the street, The guy on his phone was walking across the crosswalk at about a 45 degree angle, as in he was going to make it from my far left to crossing infront of me into traffic before making it across the street if he kept going on that track. Luckily he walked into the person beside him crossing, slowed down for a min then proceeded to keep going, still at a 45 degree angle, and walked into the other person who was crossing from his side, hes now almost all the way to me at the very edge of the crosswalk so hes completely gone from my far left to almost dead infront of me, and hes managed to walk into both people crossing with him from his side. There is only 1-2 feet between the edge of the crosswalk and a steady flow of traffic moving at 60kph. As i kept walking it became apparent to me that i was going to directly walk into him if i continued to walk straight along the edge of the crosswalk, i debated slowing down and letting him walk like a lemming straight into traffic but decided to do the better thing and hip check him as he walked into me, funniest part was the phone was knocked out of his hands with the impact of walking into me and it went into traffic to my right, and his first instinct was to run and grab his phone, i grabbed his arm to stop him and he got upset and started yelling at me, i said you are a fucking idiot and pointed to his phone, which was now smashed as it had been run over by a vehicle passing by. He then got even more mad his phone was destroyed, seemingly oblivious to the fact that had i not been there he likely would have walked out into traffic and possibly died or been seriously hurt.