Ceiling popcorn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mortong

Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: DaTT
Originally posted by: mortong
Originally posted by: dullard
Since so many people here hate popcorn: If you hate popcorn style finishes on ceilings and have no installation tips, please leave without posting. The rest of my house has popcorn, I like the look of popcorn, and I like the ability for popcorn to minimize noise and surface imperfections. No, this thread isn't about the food popcorn.

I want to put popcorn on the ceiling as i finish installing a bathroom and a hallway. Does anyone here have any hints on how to do it? I see there is dab on stuff for small areas, spray on stuff, and I assume you can use a tool with mud to do it as well. What is best?

I'm in the market for a new home right now. One of the first things I learned was that ceiling popcorn drops the value of your home.

If you REALLY want it, go for it, but do some research on it first. :) Good luck!

Edit - not trying to be negative, but I just had this conversation with my realtor.

Popcorn ceiling drops the value of your home?...I laugh in your general direction. That is the most absurd thing i have heard

*shrug* ymmv. Here's a few links:

http://www.the-signal.com/news/archive/4730/
http://realestate.msn.com/arti...cp-documentid=13108036
http://www.inman.com/buyers-se...corn-ceilings-all-once
http://pilotingtheperfectmove....ings-in-sandy-springs/
http://www.city-data.com/forum...oval-resale-value.html
http://www.frontdoor.com/Sell/...-Your-Homes-Value/1237
http://homebuying.about.com/cs...obuy/a/home_resale.htm

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DaTT
Originally posted by: mortong
Originally posted by: dullard
Since so many people here hate popcorn: If you hate popcorn style finishes on ceilings and have no installation tips, please leave without posting. The rest of my house has popcorn, I like the look of popcorn, and I like the ability for popcorn to minimize noise and surface imperfections. No, this thread isn't about the food popcorn.

I want to put popcorn on the ceiling as i finish installing a bathroom and a hallway. Does anyone here have any hints on how to do it? I see there is dab on stuff for small areas, spray on stuff, and I assume you can use a tool with mud to do it as well. What is best?

I'm in the market for a new home right now. One of the first things I learned was that ceiling popcorn drops the value of your home.

If you REALLY want it, go for it, but do some research on it first. :) Good luck!

Edit - not trying to be negative, but I just had this conversation with my realtor.

Popcorn ceiling drops the value of your home?...I laugh in your general direction. That is the most absurd thing i have heard

there is some truth to it. It is a very outdated finish, and many people will factor in the cost of removing it when bidding on a home.

Nov 5, 2001
as others have said, the only way to do a popcorn finish on a large area is with a blow hopper. I would seriously recommend a knockdown finish.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Evrey remodel job I go into starts with scraping that stuff off...

Yep, no one wants to buy a house with that ugly crap.

and this is why it drops the re-sale value.

if you have to pay someone to come in and scrape that shit off the house better be a damn good deal.

when we were looking at houses we passed up 2 that were nice but didnt want the added expense of getting it off.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Evrey remodel job I go into starts with scraping that stuff off...

Yep, no one wants to buy a house with that ugly crap.

and this is why it drops the re-sale value.

if you have to pay someone to come in and scrape that shit off the house better be a damn good deal.

when we were looking at houses we passed up 2 that were nice but didnt want the added expense of getting it off.

When me and my wife bought our current house the first thing we did is try to remove the popcorn ceiling. It was such a pain we just tore the drywall out and did some other work and put in all new drywall. SO!!! much nicer now.

Popcorn = the junk and does hurt a home value.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Out of sheer curiousity are you primarily doing this for acoustic reasons? If so there are better options out there than popcorn ceilings.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Definitely go with the hopper and make sure you mix it with the ceiling paint as stated above. The stuff will be rock hard and won't crumble off when you just look at it.

Peace

Lounatik

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Popcorn leads to better room acoustics, and ATOT is full of world class audiophiles. I am shocked to not see more Popcorn support in this thread.

as mentioned go with the hopper and do your research. I don't care how it looks

Popcorn > no Popcorn. It's all about the audio fools.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I hate popcorn style ceilings on finishes and have nothing to add, just wanted you to let know :p

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: QueBert
Popcorn leads to better room acoustics, and ATOT is full of world class audiophiles. I am shocked to not see more Popcorn support in this thread.

Sorry but there are better materials and methods of creating better acoustics in a room than popcorn.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I never knew there was such hate for popcorn ceilings. I didn't even know what they were called until now. They don't look that bad. My parents had it done in their living room.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Sorry but there are better materials and methods of creating better acoustics in a room than popcorn.

Well yeah, you could have a custom room built that floats on a mini lake to give you uber acoustics, but for the money and effort involved. Popcorn > other methods.

Nov 5, 2001

most popcorn ceilings have a minimal acoustical effect, since the surface ends up being painted. The minimal amount of texture does not significantly affect acoustical performance.