Ceiling popcorn

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Since so many people here hate popcorn: If you hate popcorn style finishes on ceilings and have no installation tips, please leave without posting. The rest of my house has popcorn, I like the look of popcorn, and I like the ability for popcorn to minimize noise and surface imperfections. No, this thread isn't about the food popcorn.

I want to put popcorn on the ceiling as i finish installing a bathroom and a hallway. Does anyone here have any hints on how to do it? I see there is dab on stuff for small areas, spray on stuff, and I assume you can use a tool with mud to do it as well. What is best?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I hate popecorn style finishes on ceilings and have nothing to add, just wanted to let you know :p

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
I hate popcorn style finishes on ceilings and have nothing to add, just wanted to let you know :p

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003
friend of mine sprayed my ceilings
instead of mixing with water then painting it, he mixed the powder directly
in the paint then sprayed

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I hate popcorn style ceilings on finishes and have nothing to add, just wanted you to let know :p

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
I have popcorn ceilings and hate them, but I did have a hole in the ceiling that I needed to patch. I bought a can of the little Styrofoam bits, but ended up just using a smoke detector to cover the hole. I believe you just mix the Styrofoam "popcorn" with paint.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The best and the easiest way is to shoot the popcorn using a hopper gun and compressor. You can mix ceiling paint instead of water into the popcorn mixture if you want harder and tougher popcorn. Just tape off the area you're going to shoot with tape and paper as it can get bit messy.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Microwave for 3 minutes or until there is 3 seconds between each pop. Caution: Steam from bag will be hot.

Erock

Dec 1, 2007
my dad and I rented a sprayer from home depot that worked excellent. I don't remember what it's called but it wasn't expensive at all considering how great it worked.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
You need a hopper and sprayer for a pro job. You also need to practice on a pc. of sheetrock before you start unless you want it to look like ass.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ideally, you would get a sprayer.

My dad was a sheetrock finisher for 30 years, and he used a wadded up piece of plastic.

He would take a large piece of black plastic, and make something that looks like a mushroom with a flat top out of it. The stalk was the handle. Dip it in the mud, and start dolloping it on the ceiling.

mortong

Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: dullard
Since so many people here hate popcorn: If you hate popcorn style finishes on ceilings and have no installation tips, please leave without posting. The rest of my house has popcorn, I like the look of popcorn, and I like the ability for popcorn to minimize noise and surface imperfections. No, this thread isn't about the food popcorn.

I want to put popcorn on the ceiling as i finish installing a bathroom and a hallway. Does anyone here have any hints on how to do it? I see there is dab on stuff for small areas, spray on stuff, and I assume you can use a tool with mud to do it as well. What is best?

I'm in the market for a new home right now. One of the first things I learned was that ceiling popcorn drops the value of your home.

If you REALLY want it, go for it, but do some research on it first. :) Good luck!

Edit - not trying to be negative, but I just had this conversation with my realtor.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: mortong
Originally posted by: dullard

I'm in the market for a new home right now. One of the first things I learned was that ceiling popcorn drops the value of your home.

If you REALLY want it, go for it, but do some research on it first. :) Good luck!

Edit - not trying to be negative, but I just had this conversation with my realtor.

Popcorn ceiling drops the value of your home?...I laugh in your general direction. That is the most absurd thing i have heard

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: DaTT
Popcorn ceiling drops the value of your home?...I laugh in your general direction. That is the most absurd thing i have heard

I certainly didn't hear anything about it with all the homes I looked at.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Dullard, you would be better off hiring someone to do it.....it is very easy to pick out errors when the light hits is the right way. If, however, you plan on tackling this head on by your self, a hopper and compressor is the only way I have ever known it to be done.

I have sprayed many ceilings before, and the first one i did was put on very thick at the beginning, and very light near the end. It takes practice to get it just right.

Another neat looking ceiling is a knockdown. Take a box of drywall compound and mix with water until it is runny. Load up the hopper and spray away so chunks are all over the ceiling. Then take a 2 foot "spatula" I call it, and lightly run it over the ceiling flattening out the chunks, but adding texture as well.

Mungla

Dec 23, 2000
Just be careful with the stuff. I bought a house where the popcorn was peeling in places (24 y/o house). I opted to take my airless sprayer and water to it and scrapped the entire house clean. I reapplied a nice skip trowel finish that looks so much better than that crap ever could.