CDROM Installation. How much would you charge?

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
Just curious....I'm starting to do some computerwork for a small company that my friend works at. He's been hiring me to do some jobs like install some accounting software, replace a power supply, etc. I'm just trying to get a feel for a fair labor rate, and I 'm curous as to what some of you guys have charged for those of you who do this sort of thing on a regular basis.

I just replaced a bad CD rom in one of the employees computers. Took me all of 10 min. So the question is: What would you charge???

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
I think stores like Best Buy charge $39.99.

Right, but that's only if you bring your system into them...correct? I'm guessing its substantially more if an onsite service call is done as in my case. It's a good starting point, though.

Thanks for the input. :)

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
geesh, 20 bucks for a CD-ROM install..... .. i would be a rich man if i had some motive.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
You may want to contact baffled2 because I know she is always making onsite visits.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Phoenix15
My rates

$30/hour customer carry in

$40 hour onsite

$45/hour for networking

And if you do something like this you also have to say there is a minimum 1 (or 2) hour labor charge or they'll say "but it only took 10 minutes so I only owe you five bucks".

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I'd say something like $15-$20 if they bring it into you. I'm not sure about on-site since you'll have to be the best measure of your time. It's still a good deal for somebody who doesn't know how to do it themselves and it covers your time and skills as a relative "expert." If you make yourself too cheap people will actually expect more from you. It's kind of strange. You'll get people bickering with you if you have to charge an extra $5 for an unexpected problem. Charge them through the nose and they'll theoretically respect you somewhat (as long as you know what you're doing and don't screw things up.) That's what BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. does. Find the middle ground since you don't have the overhead they do and that would seem the ideal spot to me.

$20 for a CDROM install which may take all of 15 minutes might sound great at first (woohoo! $80 an hour!) But then again, you probably won't be installing 40 CDROMS everyday.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
make it high enough so they want to just hire you full time , then you can get paid to nef ATOT all day like so many here :D

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
If they bring it to you, maybe $20 - Best Buy wants $30-40, so that's probably fair. If you have to go to their house, add extra...

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
I checked out a number of local computer stores around here before doing this myself. Most of the places charge between $80 and $120 an hour for off-site visits with a minimum of one to two hours. I charge $60 an hour minimum of one hour.

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
"all" useful? did you not see my post? oh wait...nevermind.

Yeah, yours was the *MOST* useful if you change the bevvy to what I suggested. ;)

:D

TopGun

Nov 5, 1999
$20 to do it at the store. If I have to leave the store and go on site it's $95 an hour, minimum 1 hour.

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker
Originally posted by: Phoenix15
My rates

$30/hour customer carry in

$40 hour onsite

$45/hour for networking

And if you do something like this you also have to say there is a minimum 1 (or 2) hour labor charge or they'll say "but it only took 10 minutes so I only owe you five bucks".

I have a minimum of one hour in shop and a 2 hour minimium w/ onsite service.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
I've done a lot of this kind of thing, but only for friends. I generally get a pub meal, and then very, very drunk. :D

WhiteWonder

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
it depends on how smart the person is......

muhahahahahaha

a CDROM is one of thoes round things, right?

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
it depends on how smart the person is.

muhahahahahaha

a CDROM is one of thoes round things, right?

No, its one of those things you set your cold can of pop on!

;)