Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Of course the other option would to give the device to some nice honest long Haul trucker, as our FBI can busily track the device's Journey all the way to San Diego up to Maine and all points in between. All those truck stops and warehouses are clear terrorist havens.

Or a quick trip to the city dump via any dumpster, if the FBI wants it back, they can dig through the mounds of garbage in their trademark suits and ties. Maybe they will finally find Jimmy Hoffa in the process.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Of course the other option would to give the device to some nice honest long Haul trucker, as our FBI can busily track the device's Journey all the way to San Diego up to Maine and all points in between. All those truck stops and warehouses are clear terrorist havens.

Or a quick trip to the city dump via any dumpster, if the FBI wants it back, they can dig through the mounds of garbage in their trademark suits and ties. Maybe they will finally find Jimmy Hoffa in the process.

lol a long haul trucker would be movie material. heheh.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Warrant? for what? The USSC has already ruled on placing electronic surveillance devices...

http://www.patc.com/enewsletter/legal-answers/4-oct08.shtml
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe BoomerD asks the right question in the wrong way.

I might as an individual have a reasonable right of privacy in my home is my castle residence, but my garbage can is not as protected. How about my car, and its concealed gas tank that has anywhere from 2 to 15 gallons of ultra dangerous gasoline in it depending on how long since I last bought gas?

But still that misses the point, does a private or governmental tracking device have a reasonable right to privacy? Especially when some local oil change guy untrained in surveillance spotted it right away. But if said surveillance device is better hidden, does it have an elevated right to privacy?

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Things like this make me wish for a revolution...

Now that I said it, I will be checking my car tomorrow, as the FBI is likely going to be installing their GPS in my car overnight.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Our federal agents can't even properly hide a tracking device, I feel safer already.

No shit, that is the first thing that popped into my head. They found it when he brought his car in for a friggen oil change? Not some yockels from the local PD but the FBI... seriously?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
As far as I am concerned, finders keepers losers weepers. The tracking device was abandoned property left on the vehicle, and if the FBI wants it back, they must prove its theirs in a court of law.

Of course the court may also want to see the search warrant, the probable cause, and all that other stuff, but were it me, I would not let scoundrels and idiots get away easily after running roughshod over civil and constitutional rights.

With any luck, our government will do the right thing and fire such scoundrels and idiots, thereby saving the taxpayers money.

I bet you aren't a 20 year old kid that the FBI thinks fits the profile for a terrorist.....

I damn sure wouldn't have answered a thing without my lawyer present though and my lawyer would have already had the device so they would have had to deal with HIM, not me, to get it back.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I bet you aren't a 20 year old kid that the FBI thinks fits the profile for a terrorist.....

I damn sure wouldn't have answered a thing without my lawyer present though and my lawyer would have already had the device so they would have had to deal with HIM, not me, to get it back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe the problem Darwin, do you really think you can lawyer up for anything less than a
$1000.00. Unless you can counter sue the government and make a profit at it, its a money loser for most people. Maybe we could get the ACLU to touch the issue with a ten foot pole,
but I doubt it.

But then again, if GWB&co really wants to know what I think of them, they are welcome to read my posts on P&N without the bother of wiretapping me.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe the problem Darwin, do you really think you can lawyer up for anything less than a
$1000.00. Unless you can counter sue the government and make a profit at it, its a money loser for most people. Maybe we could get the ACLU to touch the issue with a ten foot pole,
but I doubt it.

But then again, if GWB&co really wants to know what I think of them, they are welcome to read my posts on P&N without the bother of wiretapping me.

Hey dipshit, Bush isn't president anymore.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I would have told them to eat a dick while on the phone with my lawyer and no they can't have their device back.

Exactly. Rule number one for anyone with a brain is never talk to anyone who's NOT your lawyer (despite what cop-shows say). He's lucky he's not in a safe-house in Bulgaria with a car battery clipped to his nethers.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
but I doubt it.

I am not sure if you can lawyer up for less than a grand but I damn sure know I wouldn't even if I could. Reading the article it seems the guy is doing rather well for himself but that is rather irrelevant. Coming up with $1,000 for a lawyer now sure as hell beats coming up with 50 times that if you say or do the wrong thing, not to mention the risk of the FPMITAP.

If the FBI has installed a tracking device on your vehicle and you know it, talking to them without a lawyer is downright foolish imo. This isn't some local dickhead LEO that has a hardon for you it is the FBI.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
You guys are funny. The Republicans created all this. It will take time to undo this mess.

Least they didn't decide to torture him. Oh wait that DID end.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bahahahaha, keep backpedaling. You already showed just how much of a partisan hack you truly are.

That's not backpedaling at all. You haven't offered that anything I said was untrue, merely that you don't like it. No surprise.

The FBI has always had fascist tendencies. J Edgar even kept his own "private" files, basically for blackmail, which his secretary wisely shredded on his death, ahead of the rush of other fascists trying to get their hands on 'em...

I'm sure Dickie is a great admirer, and Dubya was and remains too dumb to know any better...

Oct 30, 2004
“We have all the information we needed,” they told him. “You don’t need to call your lawyer. Don’t worry, you’re boring. “

They shook his hand and left.

You're too boring for surveillance! Couldn't you at least go to a strip club now and then or something?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You guys are funny. The Republicans created all this. It will take time to undo this mess.

Created what? You mean the Patriot Act that had nearly unanimous Democrat support?

It doesn't take any time at all to repeal a law. The whole thing could have been repealed within weeks of Obama taking the reins. The Democrats have no intention of doing any such thing, they enjoy the power it gives them.

You're a fool if you think the Democrats will fix anything.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's not backpedaling at all. You haven't offered that anything I said was untrue, merely that you don't like it. No surprise.

The FBI has always had fascist tendencies. J Edgar even kept his own "private" files, basically for blackmail, which his secretary wisely shredded on his death, ahead of the rush of other fascists trying to get their hands on 'em...

I'm sure Dickie is a great admirer, and Dubya was and remains too dumb to know any better...

Apparently Obama likes the work they're doing. It must be all that hope and change.

Carry on, good Democrat soldier! Protect the faith!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Created what? You mean the Patriot Act that had nearly unanimous Democrat support?

It doesn't take any time at all to repeal a law. The whole thing could have been repealed within weeks of Obama taking the reins. The Democrats have no intention of doing any such thing, they enjoy the power it gives them.

You're a fool if you think the Democrats will fix anything.

Yeh, yeh, yeh. A single clueless nigerian wannabe terrarist set repubs to raving in the most partisan fashion about pertecktin' Uh-Merricuh. and they blocked proposed changes to the act, made it an all or nothing deal, then claimed victory! over both the dems and common decency...

Near unanimous support for the act when it was proposed? Of course. Dubya was the recipient of the biggest political windfall since pearl harbor, 9/11, and quickly fashioned it into a bludgeon to use against all enemies, foreign and domestic. With Us or Against Us, and anybody not for the act was obviously a pinko bleeding heart Terrarist coddling fool who hates Uh-merrica and baby Jesus, too...

Nobody out- fearmongers republicans when they set their minds to it, nobody. Ever notice how they ran the Terrar! color wheel round and round in the runup to every election after 9/11?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Newsflash Jhhhhnhnnnhnh, Democrats have full control. Stop making excuses for your pathetic party, you pathetic hack.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

Least they didn't decide to torture him. Oh wait that DID end.

How many years do you wish to give the Democrats before you will finally acknowledge they are the same scum as the Republicans? As long as it takes is not a good answer; nor is as much time as the Republicans had to break it - control of both Houses plus the White House is a rather nifty thing.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Newsflash Jhhhhnhnnnhnh, Democrats have full control. Stop making excuses for your pathetic party, you pathetic hack.

Democrats have full control... except when they fuck up, and prove that they are just as bad for America as the Republicans. Then it's the Republicans' fault anyways.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

Ah, now you've gone from backpedaling to calling the FBI fascist. It is still an organization in a government that is run by your party. If it is run so badly, it is the Democrats who now get to do something about it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The US govt is large enough, MotF Bane, that nobody can really take control of every aspect of it in less that 2 years. That's particularly true wrt entrenched parts of the organization that have been semi-autonomous for decades, like the FBI.

I'm sure that the field agents and their immediate supervisors feel that they're acting within the guidelines of repubs' patriot act and past practice. It's not like any Admin has the time or the inclination to reach out and personally oversee every aspect of their operations, nor is it fair to say that the Obama Admin is necessarily pleased with the idea that the Bureau operates this way, but they're stuck with it so long as the partisan ravings of guys like Mitch McConnell strike a chord in the electorate.

Hell, the responses from the usual ravers in this thread alone ought to tell us that....

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
The US govt is large enough, MotF Bane, that nobody can really take control of every aspect of it in less that 2 years. That's particularly true wrt entrenched parts of the organization that have been semi-autonomous for decades, like the FBI.

I'm sure that the field agents and their immediate supervisors feel that they're acting within the guidelines of repubs' patriot act and past practice. It's not like any Admin has the time or the inclination to reach out and personally oversee every aspect of their operations, nor is it fair to say that the Obama Admin is necessarily pleased with the idea that the Bureau operates this way, but they're stuck with it so long as the partisan ravings of guys like Mitch McConnell strike a chord in the electorate.

Hell, the responses from the usual ravers in this thread alone ought to tell us that....

Oh gawd, IF we were in the middle of Obama's 2nd term and somehow the Dems kept super-majority control of both houses of congress, you'd still be Buh-Buh-Bushing....