CATALYST 8.12 are live

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Hmm...CCC crashed immediately on rebooting and just installing the 8.12 driver package with the 8.11 CCC gave me graphics abnormalities in C&C 3 and Fallout 3. Reverting to 8.11 gave me perfect graphics and stability back. I'm going to pass on these.

Running Vista64 Ultimate, Q9550, 8GB RAM, and 4850 graphics card.

sthaznpride17

Jul 31, 2005
I had no problems, uninstalled 8.8's, ran driver cleaner, installed 8.12's. I noticed a little bit of gain in Crysis Warhead. However, I downloaded the Avivo converter, and when I converted a video file, it used 100% of my CPU and 0% of my GPU, with GPU usage spiking to 8% every couple seconds. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything -_-

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
pretty good driver, ut3 runs faster than on the 8.11's but race driver grid performance is slightly lower (4870 1gb)

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: sthaznpride17
I had no problems, uninstalled 8.8's, ran driver cleaner, installed 8.12's. I noticed a little bit of gain in Crysis Warhead. However, I downloaded the Avivo converter, and when I converted a video file, it used 100% of my CPU and 0% of my GPU, with GPU usage spiking to 8% every couple seconds. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything -_-

ATI may actually mean it when they say Avivo codecs work only with with the X1000 products (arent' those obsoletel?!?!?). Sheesh. What a joke.

That HydraVision utility looks fairly useful though. I'm checking it out.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Originally posted by: sthaznpride17

ATI may actually mean it when they say Avivo codecs work only with with the X1000 products (arent' those obsoletel?!?!?). Sheesh. What a joke.

That HydraVision utility looks fairly useful though. I'm checking it out.

I used hydravision a while back and it had some nifty options for multi-monitor setups.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
This thread should be locked its descended into meaningless he said she said.....

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
Yup, could be locked. But before it happens I would like to say that the 8.12's gave me about a 33% fps increase on a benchmark in Far Cry 2. Yeah, its only a benchmark but my average fps went from 30 to 41, thats a critical jump.

All settings ultra high, 1680 x 1050, 2xAA, DX10.

4850 crossfire

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I installed the 8.12's after using the ATI uninstall utility to remove the "second FC2 hotfix." I don't remember what it's numerical designation was.

So far I've played FC2 and Gears of War...no new probs. Unfortunately, the "blocky foilage" problem in FC2 still exists for me. The problem was there with the FC2 hotfix drivers too. Maybe 5% of the time after passing into a new area, suddenly all fhe foilage looks "blocky" like this.

The only fix is to exit and restart the game. I can continue to play with the foilage like that, but it makes it impossible to aim or see anything, so I just exit and restart the game. Strangely, with the 8.12's I see more detail in FC2; for instance the grain of the material covering the dashboards in the vehicles...didn't see all that before. Nice.

I don't know what's up with the blocky textures...only happens in FC2. No prob in GoW and I'll assume no probs in other games.

Overall, I guess I'm glad I updated to a "normal, cycle release" from the "out of cycle, special FC2 drivers" though I don't really see too much diff. NO change in FPS in games or in 3DM2006 score.

The 4870X2 is still going strong, no probs. Gotta love the manual fan control. :thumbsup:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I just did a completely fresh reinstall of Vista x64. First thing I did when the system went up is load the Catalysts 8.12. Everything installed smoothly without any kind of problems. So I'm guessing for people using driver sweepers and getting errors later - don't use a sweeper? I have yet to encounter any problems from not uninstalling the previous versions :) Ohh and I did all that some time ago, but back then it wwas asking for trouble if you weren't sweeping your system before reinstalling. Now I find it absolutely unnecessary.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I just spent the better part of 15 minutes cleaning up this thread. I have removed all posts that threadcrap, name call and are generally not fit for this discussion of ATI drivers. If you can't keep it civil and cannot keep it to the topic at hand, either don't post or this thread will be locked.

esquared
Anandtech Senior Moderator

Mar 4, 2005
I am using the 8:12's with agp hotfix from ATI's site with no problems and slight improvement over the 8:10's from Sapphire's site.
I've only had the card, Sapphire H3850 AGP 512mb, for less than 2 weeks and these are the only ATI drivers I've ever had.
COD 4,5 DIRT,Bioshock, FEAR etc [24 games installed] all run fine on XP32.
P4 2.8c@3.1ghz

By the way, the 3850 was a big improvement from my wonderful 7600GT.
I was hesitant about ATI and drivers after nothing but Nvidia for years so I'm real happy the only 2 sets of drivers I've tried have worked out this well.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
The 8.12s have been stunning for me. Seriously. My system is stable and I can run WoW well. They saved me from RMAing and buying nVidia.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: evolucion8
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: Qbah
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
They didn't ever post specific resolutions/settings/situations either. Maybe the benchmark goes up but gameplay is the same *shrug* it's happened before.

BTW: for the AVIVO app you have to custom install for it to show up. Express install skips over it.

Nobody posts resolutions and settings for speed increases! Unless it's a specific fix like for AA for example. And you assuming things is not a very nice thing to do. You don't even own an ATi card - why would you assume anything (and obviously negative from the beginning). Now if you owned one, installed and tested - great, your argument would be valid. Because you didn't all you do is bait people with your blatant and obvious ATi hate - which starts flaming, thread gets closed, discussion is stopped. Mission accomplished!

EDIT: And my screens do blink in the end when adding a new display. But they don't switch or mess up or one gets turned off or w/e, so still improvement for me :) That was my last gripe with the drivers. Checked if Fallout 3 runs fine. It does. So do a few other games. So far nothing bad to say for those from me. Obviously I don't have CrossFire so can't comment on it.

You haven't been around so I'll forgive you. I just got this GTX280 this week.

Here I'll repeat it for everyone I OWN A 4870 FROM VISIONTEK!

You guys are ridiculous, calling people trolls for posting ligitimate concerns and observations. Go cry somewhere else for pete's sake.

Again, stop saying I don't own such and such a card. I can give you a picture of the damn thing if you want. The whole point is, there are real concerns with 8.12 drivers. I even linked to another discussion where you could see the issues people are having.

Please stay in topic, you are threadcrapping for no reason, moving from a HD 4870 1GB to a GTX 280 is barely an upgrade which no one here cares, only in TWIMTBP games a nice performance gap is noticeable , so stop the thread crapping and ATi bashing which you are doing in all threads!

For the record I was on topic first before anyone here looked at my sig and shouted "troll" without any reason to do so.

Carry on.

Oh and has anyone figured out why AVIVO transcoder doesn't seem to use the GPU much (at all?)? Sometimes it seems like it's all CPU. Is it just 64-bit windows that doesn't work right?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Oh and has anyone figured out why AVIVO transcoder doesn't seem to use the GPU much (at all?)? Sometimes it seems like it's all CPU. Is it just 64-bit windows that doesn't work right?

I read the 64 bit version is not working at the moment,not sure about the 32 bit version since I have Vista x64.

I'm sure it'll get sorted sooner or later,not like you have to wait long for next driver update,patience goes a long way ;).

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Mem

I read the 64 bit version is not working at the moment,not sure about the 32 bit version since I have Vista x64.

I'm sure it'll get sorted sooner or later,not like you have to wait long for next driver update,patience goes a long way ;).
Lets face it Avivo is to simple for most of us anyway. Even if ATi fixes the problems it has right now, we still need more control over the encoding settings.

Cyberlink Powerdirector is the best bet for a good stream encoder, which should have support in Q1 09.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
No problems installing the driver on my main rig. Will be testing some games later this week when I find time...

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Overclocking and fan control are broken with these drivers. Other then that, every game works with no issues. I haven't seen any important performance improvement, maybe just a slight in FarCry2 , but maybe I'm imagining and I still have to use the frame rate cap to play the game without stuttering.