Catalyst 6.6 Released

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
I can't seem to get the installer to work. The 6.5 installer works good, but the 6.6 gives me an NSIS error about how the installer is incomplete or something when verifying the installer.

What is the cause of this?

I downloaded it straight off of ATI, so I am clueless as to what's the problem.

Anyone who has installed the driver, can you help me figure this stuff out?

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I wont be home for a couple of hours, but I want to try these out.

Wait... I'm only running 512mb RAM right now, my 2x1GB is out for RMA :(

I'll be watching this thread closely though. Someone post benchies.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Installed and tested it:

Oblivion doesn't have AA+HDR with these...

Tried the 6.6 betas. They have GRAW Crossfire profile and also Oblivion Crossfire (also AA+HDR). Fear supposedly has better performance but from my own test, I can still only do 2xSSAA 16xHQAF @ 1680x1050. The 1600x1200 benches from HardOCP Agrees that its as high as FEAR will go even with crossfire :-(

Josh7289

Apr 19, 2005
Does Catalyst 6.6 allow 1:1 pixel scaling for LCD displays (i.e. centered with black bars for lower resolutions)? If not, then I'm still sticking with Nvidia.

And before you say it, this is NOT monitor-dependent.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: gersson
Installed and tested it:

Oblivion doesn't have AA+HDR with these...

Tried the 6.6 betas. They have GRAW Crossfire profile and also Oblivion Crossfire (also AA+HDR). Fear supposedly has better performance but from my own test, I can still only do 2xSSAA 16xHQAF @ 1680x1050. The 1600x1200 benches from HardOCP Agrees that its as high as FEAR will go even with crossfire :-(

That's pretty interesting.

How high can u crank up the AA if you dont use AAA??? I get 58fps in the video test using my single XTX @ 690/800 with all the settings cranked 4x/16xHQ 1680x1050.

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
The installer won't even work for me. I've reinstalled the .NETs, and it still fails to start because of that NSIS error that complains that the Catalyst 6.6 installer is incomplete, and I downloaded it from the ATI site!

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: jim1976
Do I need to download .Net Framework too? I have .Net 2.0 installed.

You got .Net, so you don't need .Net. ;)

:p Well I had to ask to be 100% sure if there was any special version or something that I was unaware of... :D
Anyway everything works fine with me... Will try some benches to check them out..

Josh7289

Apr 19, 2005

WTF does this have anything to do with Nvidia.

Mine scales perfectly for me. My monitor supports it.

Because Nvidia's drivers allow it on ANY monitor, not just ones that support it themselves, like yours. So for people like me, people that need 1:1 pixel scaling and do not have monitors that have this supported in their firmware/software, we need this feature in the video card drivers, so I was wondering if ATI has supported this for ALL monitors yet, like Nvidia has.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Aww...I can't use the driver...I have an AIW 8500DV....that sucks...

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Josh7289

Because Nvidia's drivers allow it on ANY monitor, not just ones that support it themselves, like yours. So for people like me, people that need 1:1 pixel scaling and do not have monitors that have this supported in their firmware/software, we need this feature in the video card drivers, so I was wondering if ATI has supported this for ALL monitors yet, like Nvidia has.

But why do you feel the need to mention it in such an emotionally charged way? This is a mini nerd party. 6.6 are pretty good.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Running
can i just install these without uninstalling the CCC 6.5 first?

Well of course you can but as with any driver installation procedure it is wise to uninstall the existing one first.. Just ran the ATI uninstall program in "add remove programs" and it will do all the work for you.. Then restart install and you're fine..

imported_Questar

Aug 12, 2004

I guess you need to get a decent monitor.

Jun 26, 2006
Does Catalyst 6.6 allow 1:1 pixel scaling for LCD displays (i.e. centered with black bars for lower resolutions)? If not, then I'm still sticking with Nvidia.

And before you say it, this is NOT monitor-dependent.

Yes, ATI does offer 1:1 pixel scaling with DVI only, same as Nvidia. It can be enabled in both CCC and Control Panel. Depending if it is CCC or Control Panel, there are two equvalent options:
1. Turn off scaling OR
2. Enable Centered Output

Do you have an ATI card with DVI and DVI monitor that doesn't have these options? I like to know as I have started a thread on this matter.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Lucent
Yes, ATI does offer 1:1 pixel scaling with DVI only, same as Nvidia. It can be enabled in both CCC and Control Panel. Depending if it is CCC or Control Panel, there are two equvalent options:
1. Turn off scaling OR
2. Enable Centered Output

Bzzzt. ATI's output is literal as in from the card's DVI and not what appears on the display. In lieu of user control different display models vary in their handling of input so that they may still scale and/or stretch to fill. NVIDIA offers the same driver scaling and monitor scaling but also a distinct centered output and fixed aspect ratio scaling which precludes distortion by the display.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
6.6's have issues with CF. Such as, putting monitors to "sleep" when starting a game. Disabling CF works fine. With CF, it doest. Ive gone back to 6.5's.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Alright I'm confused, as far as I knew Catalyst always worked for ANY Radeon. Now the page says it doesn't support certain Radeons, such as the 9250. I just installed a 9250 in my father's system a few months ago. If I had done that today, what drivers would be available for it?