Catalyst 10.12

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Edit: Hah! Anandtech has a preview of the new CCC they just published.

Edit #2:
As far as GPUs are concerned at the moment, the new Catalyst Control Center is more or less a reskin of the previous version. The functionality is still identical if not slightly outdated – the preview version still uses the old 3D Settings dialog for the pre-6000 series cards – but a fresh coat of paint can work some small miracles.
The biggest change is going to be for casual users, who previously had to choose between the full “Advanced” view, and the anemic “Basic” view.
Move on gentlemen...not much to see here :|

Anyone know when are these drivers due?

That AMD employee with a tweeter account says they're going to be huge. I wonder if there's going to be some nice performance improvements for 6000 series or a much needed redesign of CCC.

Last edited:

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
It's pretty typical of AMD to drop a massive boost in performance at some point for any new card they throw out.

We have not seen that yet.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
The architecture is similar enough between 6/5/4 that performance gain would be similar for all, otherwise people will yell at AMD for not providing continued support on their products.

At any rate, this is really about AMD taking over ATI stuff, so all the "red" ATI stuff will be stripped out and replaced with AMD "green". 10.11 was already that way, but it still has some ATI stuff left.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
The new look:

20898243.png

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
I'm hoping they're not focusing on the 6xxx and pissing on the 5xxx...

4XXX series got forgotten pretty fast once 5XXX was released

AMD would occasionally release a driver release that had 4XXX improvements stated in their driver notes, but they were few and far between post-5XXX

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
Wow. That is a new look. I hope that they haven't moved much around this time. I thought the last overhaul was a step backward. I really didn't care for the drop down menu system.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
That is rather sophisticated looking, nice and streamlined, and fits the overall look and feel of Windows 7. Not sure how others feel, but that is a nice look imho.

Feb 19, 2009
4XXX series got forgotten pretty fast once 5XXX was released

AMD would occasionally release a driver release that had 4XXX improvements stated in their driver notes, but they were few and far between post-5XXX

Thats just how it is, GPU tech moves very fast.

As long as the old cards work (no glaring bugs), they aren't going to be improved. Just like gtx260s or 285s.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
That new control panel is actually pretty sleek looking - I'd even say that its nicer than nVidia's now.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'd even say that its nicer than nVidia's now.
Yeah, I agree, and I imagine it won't be long before Nvidia alters their's now. It wasn't long after ATI changed their's last time that Nvidia decided to change their's too.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
That new control panel is actually pretty sleek looking - I'd even say that its nicer than nVidia's now.

nVidia's is unskinned, which is refreshing in this age of every damn application having some cheesy skin instead of just looking like Windows like it should.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
nVidia's is unskinned, which is refreshing in this age of every damn application having some cheesy skin instead of just looking like Windows like it should.
agreed. i think nvidia's driver suite were always lightyears better than CCC, in terms of layout, usability and stability. the main reason why i shyed away from ATI cards since the 9800Pro.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
The reason I prefer nVidia is because they let you check out each profile for games and change how it works and, also, you can add profiles. This is something AMD must do to remain competetive.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
The reason I prefer nVidia is because they let you check out each profile for games and change how it works and, also, you can add profiles. This is something AMD must do to remain competetive.

ATI has had profiles for a while now.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Nvidia's still looks like Windows XP, which is fine for XP users, but for those who use Windows 7 it does not match.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Nvidia's still looks like Windows XP, which is fine for XP users, but for those who use Windows 7 it does not match.

Yeah - TBH it looks dated now (to me). The old/[current] CCC is obviously much worse than nVidia's current panel.

And the new AMD one doesn't really take skinning over the top like some applications do - in which case I'd agree with you whole heatedly.

Though the layout looks like it functions like the old outlook express. . . Still looks a lot better though.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I can't find any release notes.....but I think I'll give it a spin anyhoo. I've been sitting on 10.10e for awhile now.