Casually toying with the idea of upgrading my rowing machine

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I currently use a fairly high end magnetic rower. I rowed a lot in college when I was working out regularly and the gym I went to had air rowers. In my memory they seemed more comfortable to use.

Magnetic rowers are a bitch, pardon my French. The entire motion has exactly the same resistance, as opposed to an air rower which (again, in my memory) has more resistance at the start of the stroke and eases throughout the stroke and feels more "natural". It's really hard for me to get up motivation to use the magnetic rower anymore.

I was thinking about maybe getting one of those water rowers. Does anyone here own one of those, or use one at a gym? How does the stroke feel? Is it true, as they say, that the sound and feel of the water provides a psychological push? Is the maintenance a pain?

I guess what I'm wondering first and foremost from any experienced rowers here is their thoughts on air vs. magnetic vs. water.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I can't say I've used a water rower a lot, but I have used one a couple of times and it did feel remarkably similar to the flywheel style rower I'm used to. The water rower is probably the most similar to rowing in water, because unless you're rowing hard, the water settles quickly and the resistance basically resets, unlike a flywheel rower, where once you get it going the pull gets remarkably easier to maintain.

Either of them I'd find to be superior to a magnetic rower, as you set your own resistance. The harder you pull, the more resistance you'll encounter.

Both water & air rowers I've used were concept2s, which seem to basically be the gold standard. The Xebex is cheaper but electronics are a bit spotty for calorie counting (however probably doesn't really matter for recreational use).

Reactions: dasherHampton

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Used to crew in college. Off season was lots of air row. 30 years later and I still work out at the gym on an air rower that is nearly identical. Might be something to that, but I don't want to discount new tech. Never even seen a water rower before but livestrong has a article. I'm curious too about what any other rowers with experience might think.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you have any passing desire even in the slightest to participate in online events, compare your times/progress with the only measurement system that matters, etc. just buy a Concept2.

They also last forever, have absurd parts availability (can get parts for everything they have ever made) and are nearly infinitely serviceable. It's the default choice for a reason.

Viper GTS

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I never did upgrade. At least not yet. lol- I just stopped using it.

My advice would be to stay away from magnetic rowers. If I do upgrade it will be to a concept.