Carrying food past coworkers...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I get mega-pissed if anyone bothers me even 20 minutes before lunch. Seems like some people love to wait until 11:45a.m. to bring up a big problem.

Nobody ever comments on my food, even though I always cook the best stuff. :(
Well, now we know that they respond better to ramen. Try it and let us know how it goes!

I work long hours and have to take my hour long lunch within a certain 6 hour period. If I decide to take it near the end I risk something coming up and I can’t just take my lunch later. It happens darn near every time. :(

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I rarely bring lunch back to work, partly because of all the attention it gets. Every single time I have ever carried food to my office I get comments on the way like “Ohh! Whatcha got there?” or “That smells good. I hope you brought enough for all of us.”

Reply with stuff like "You're too fat, skip a meal once in a while" or "How can you smell my food over the reek of your armpits?". They'll stop bothering you pretty quickly.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Guess there’s no reason to cover that up with an off-center magnifying lens anymore.

86eb7005139befe81ebb135916d10ac4.jpg

It’s more cutting things down for archival/documentation and less about fancy editing, which is why my YouTube stuff is so cringe-worthy. ;)
Silly me. I saw the board you have on your table and thought i had a Sherlock moment.
Or maybe i did but it was this other kind of Sherlock:
smarter2.jpg

I didnt mean to intrude on your provacy.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
LMAO, them going "Ohhhh that looks/smells good!" every single time is hilarious. People make or warm up food all the time at my office and I don't notice anyone doing that regularly. There's been comments about a food's smell of course but it's not every time, by every person.

I dunno, your co-workers sound... ditzy, or simple, I guess, is the word that would describe that behavior best. LOL.

Jun 18, 2000
Guess there’s no reason to cover that up with an off-center magnifying lens anymore.

86eb7005139befe81ebb135916d10ac4.jpg

It’s more cutting things down for archival/documentation and less about fancy editing, which is why my YouTube stuff is so cringe-worthy. ;)

How important was it, that it couldn't wait 30-45 minutes for you to eat in peace?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
LMAO, them going "Ohhhh that looks/smells good!" every single time is hilarious. People make or warm up food all the time at my office and I don't notice anyone doing that regularly. There's been comments about a food's smell of course but it's not every time, by every person.

I dunno, your co-workers sound... ditzy, or simple, I guess, is the word that would describe that behavior best. LOL.
The people working the floor don’t often see food there during business hours. Makes it seem that much more disruptive I guess. Typically, it goes into the break room before they start their day and nothing is seen on the workfloor until they are going home.

How important was it, that it couldn't wait 30-45 minutes for you to eat in peace?
Well, he’s my boss so I assumed it was important. I cut the footage I guessed he wanted but he left moments later without coming to see me or answering my message asking if it was even the right footage. I asked someone else to give it to him since I wouldn’t be back the next day but it still hasn’t been touched.

*sigh*

I was more concerned with the other stuff I’d put aside for my lunch. I had to install another UltraHDMI kit and call my older brother to wish him happy birthday (too late after work). Had to send a hollow “happy birthday” text message instead.

I actually did get UltraHDMI installed into a Nintendo 64 while the water boiled... because I’m just that good...

...actually, because my twin bro did all the disassembly, prep, and reassembly while I just did the soldering. On that note, ramen noodles at my place may contain lead and other chemicals known to the State of California to cause brain damage, cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm (solder can end up anywhere when I’m moving that fast).

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
v5Q4keU.jpg

Nice. Typical food I eat during lunch break at work, Ramen /maruchan noodles I usually buy from Walmart. Same with the garlic salt. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CZroe

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Well since we're speaking of food now, ive completely gone off eating food at work - i dont enjoy it. I need all the prep and cooking ritual so dinner takes me north of 2 hours.
And somehow i gained weight, despite eating 1 meal a day.

I do occasionally bake muffins and distribute them around the office. My blueberry white chocolate corn muffins are legendary.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
DigDog' Forbidden Muffin recipe.

The key is cornmeal. Sometimes called corn flour if its an american brand, but in the uk we got corn flour which is actually corn starch.
You can get Dunn River Corn Meal cheap from amazon.
Start with 2/3 of a 500g packet. You will need half as much in size white flour and as much sugar in size as white flour .. its best to do half of this white sugar, halfbrown - not the crystalline brown, but the brown that looks like a lump, its got much more taste but less sweetness.

You will also need 2 small buttermilk jars 80p each from waitrose, even less from asda. Its basically acid milk. If you cant find this, go for 1 large plain!! yoghurt, must be acidic so no "smooth" or anything like that.

In the night, mix cornmeal and buttermilk or yoghurt, and leave in the fridge overnight.
This helps the coarse cornmeal swell up slightly.

Next day add sugar and white flour.

Mix two eggs and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. You dont need the fancy stuff, just dont get the £1 flavouring, most supermarkets have vanilla extract from real vanilla hidden somewhere, its like 4 quid and lasts forever. Sainsbury has it.
Add 1 small teaspoon of white pepper, 1 full teaspoon salt, 1 heaped teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 full teaspoon baking soda or baking powder, and mix.

Before you mix liquid and dry, you might need to add a bit of good milk, like Jersey red from Sainsbury or Gold Top.
Most recipes call for some melted butter, but i prefer a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil, you cant taste it and it makes them fluffier.

Now mix and add milk. I cant guide you on the consistency but you want it well gloopy. Leave the mixture alone for 5 minutes, if it separates too much, add a bit of white flour.

Finally throw in the blueberries and white chock chunks (lidl sells white chock bars 100g for 35p, right next to the entrance). I find 1 100g bar and 1 box blueberries is fine .. you CAN have too many blueberries.

Butter the bottoms and sides of a muffin pan. Theres shallow and deep pans, deep is better. Preheat the oven. Generally 5 minutes on 200c and 15 min on 170c does it, it depends on your oven.

Dont take them out of the tray for 5 min as they lose moisture.
If you change fruit, say, cherry, make the mixture slightly runnier; blueberries release a lot of moisture during cooking.

There.

Jun 18, 2000
Well, he’s my boss so I assumed it was important. I cut the footage I guessed he wanted but he left moments later without coming to see me or answering my message asking if it was even the right footage. I asked someone else to give it to him since I wouldn’t be back the next day but it still hasn’t been touched.

I hope that isn't a common occurrence. After 1 false alarm, I'm never running back to work like that.