Carry cash?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
I hear people say that they don't carry cash because they could get mugged... but isn't it better to have cash for when you're mugged? Having nothing might piss the mugger off causing you to be shot/st@bbed...

That happened to some people in my dorm right when they were leaving. A guy held them up, they only had $20 between the two of them, and the guy with the gun beat the living hell out of them for their lack of money.

Spac3d

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I typically start the week with $30, I use my CC/debit card for everything but food (stupid cafeteria only takes cash).

The only time in my life I've ever had to worry about being mugged is when I went to visit my (then interning) g/f in DC.

Viper GTS

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i dont ever think about being mugged.,,

I always try and carry at least 20$ in cash cause you never know when it will come in handy

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I rarely have cash. I use my debit card. I get angry at fast food places who don't accept debit/credit cards. I stopped at Orange Julius a few months ago, and handed the guy my debit card, and he says, "Oh, we only accept cash." I said, "What?!?! What year is this?" And just walked off. Everything is electronic now. Cash seems archaic in 2003.

When I'm down to about $5 or less in my wallet, I'll take out $20 more from the ATM. So basically I usually have less than $25 in my wallet.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The most I usually have on me at any given time is $20
usually maybe $5

i never carry cash really.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Rob9874
I rarely have cash. I use my debit card. I get angry at fast food places who don't accept debit/credit cards. I stopped at Orange Julius a few months ago, and handed the guy my debit card, and he says, "Oh, we only accept cash." I said, "What?!?! What year is this?" And just walked off. Everything is electronic now. Cash seems archaic in 2003.

Ditto.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001

Why would you want to charge a $2 drink?
besides the cc fees you have to pay would not make charging $2 worth it.

My former boss used to say that he always carried $40 with him for just in case he got mugged. $40 is a good amount, just enough for the mugger to feel like he got a fair amount and not too much for you to loose. If I got mugged I'd be more worried about replacing my CCs and drivers license.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: gotsmack

Why would you want to charge a $2 drink?
besides the cc fees you have to pay would not make charging $2 worth it.

My former boss used to say that he always carried $40 with him for just in case he got mugged. $40 is a good amount, just enough for the mugger to feel like he got a fair amount and not too much for you to loose. If I got mugged I'd be more worried about replacing my CCs and drivers license.

where do you live you are worried about getting mugged? i'm not worried about it, and as for the charging $2
not carrying cash is more incentive to not spend money. so i wouldn't buy the $2 drink at all.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
i always carry some amount of cash on me. usually between 20-60 dollars. As
for people saying they carry cash for muggers. I am pretty sure that most people
are not afraid of being mugged. But you can get mugged anywhere anytime. Its
not about being afraid of getting mugged its about being ready if you do.

As for debit/credit cards you would be surprised how many place don't take them
Keep in mind business have to pay the credit card company in order to take their
card. You think its worth it for McDonalds to have to pay a credit card money so
someone can pay with a credit card for a 5 dollar meal.

Another reason to carry cash is if you ever go out to eat in a group of people its much
easier to just put cash on the table to pay a bill then to have the waitress come up
and then tell her you need to break the bill up X different ways and then run X different
cards. When all could have been settled quickly and easily. And no one looks more like
a dumbass when you go out to eat and everyone puts their cash down and is ready to leave
and you have to have your debit card run cause you don't want to carry cash.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Where I live is fairly safe, but there is a bridge that connects my town to a poor area where the crime comes from. My former boss used to work somewhere in NYC for DLJ.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
FWIW, one of my mother's old employer's brother was killed because of this. He had a flat or something like that in a bad part of town. IIRC 2 guys and 1 woman helped him change it. After finished basically turned into a how much you want for fixing it/how much you have situation. Think he had like $20, they decided it wasn't enough and killed him. Woman eventually ratted on them and believe the 2 guys are serving life.

So what are you going to do, carry a lot of money just so you don't get killed? Meh, go out fighting at least.

I'm dumb....what does IIRC and FWIW mean? I'm so bad with these acronyms... =\

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
I hear people say that they don't carry cash because they could get mugged... but isn't it better to have cash for when you're mugged? Having nothing might piss the mugger off causing you to be shot/st@bbed...

Who actually worries about being mugged??

I feel sorry for you if you do.

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
LOL!

I thought evreyone carries cash.

I only carry cash. No CC's etc.... And I usually only carry $20 or so in cash. Most stores have atm machines to get the money from that you are going to spend in their store ;)

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: brunswickite
carry 20-30 bucks

i don't have a CC, so cash is the only way i can go...no checks either(but nobody likes checks)
meh, i carry MAYBE 20 generally unless i have a specific reason to carry more