Carrier to relocate 1,400 Indianapolis jobs to Mexico

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Your argument is all over the place:
1) Americans aren't willing to do Carrier's jobs that Mexicans would in the U.S. (not true btw), which is why you think Carrier left for cheaper labor. When the truth is that it's cheaper to pay workers in Mexico than min wage here. There was no shortage of Carrier jobs being filled and if you think there was, post a link.
2) Illegals are willing to do jobs that Americans don't want to. I agree for certain jobs (e.g. food picking, construction), but what does that have to do with point #1 i.e. Carrier jobs? To reiterate, nowhere was it stated that Carrier couldn't fill their jobs with American workers. They left because of cost:

Even if Carrier paid their U.S. workers min wage, it's still cheaper to pay them in Mexico.

Tap your sarcasm (and/or cynicism) meter, I'm just having fun with the pro-illegal invasion folks. I don't think Carrier should have moved the jobs either, but it is what it is.

Whether it's roofers or flooring or framing or whatever guys out of work/depressed wages because illegals are being employed to do jobs they used to be doing, or now 1400 Carrier factory guys out of jobs/depressed wages because Carrier moved those jobs to Mexico, there no practical difference to those folks: They're out of a job/depressed wage due to their job being done by cheaper labor. At least in the latter it's legal rather than under the table (or as the illegal invasion situation has become, on top of the table few choose to look at)...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
At a basic income of $10,000 annual per adult, you could hire people for roughly $5 an hour and double their income. People will still work. It's really just a safety net to keep people from absolute destitution AND to maintain their contribution to consumption, which I may (mistakenly?) refer to as economic liquidity.
No way in hell would politicians agree to cut out children. Even assuming politicians wouldn't bump it up to be "livable", $10k each is $3,200,000,000,000. The entire American GDP in 2014 was $17,400,000,000,000, of which government consumed $6,700,000,000,000. Assuming we don't have to spend one extra dime to "properly" redistribute this largess, you're now at $9.9 trillion in an $17.4 trillion economy. That economy crashes faster and harder than Rosy O'Donnell and Michael Moore sharing a hang glider.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Maybe if they supported universal single payer health care, instead of insisting that their employer pays their health care costs, they'd keep their jobs. It's a longshot, but if it's cheaper to hire in Mexico than paying health insurance premiums in Illinois, then you can't really blame Carrier for doing simple math.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Anybody can stop this. It's just nobody has the political will to do so. I think any democrat or republican that could reform trade to make a move like this unprofitable would enjoy enormous popular support, but unfortunately Trump seems to be the only person talking about it right now.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
3-1-2016

Indiana House approves amendment to penalize corporations for moving

Indiana House members approved an amendment Tuesday that would allow local government to take back incentives if corporations move operations to a foreign country.

State Rep. Karlee Macer is trying to do something after Carrier announced its moving to Mexico, impacting 1,400 central Indiana jobs.

Macer wants to send a strong message to corporations that you can’t just pick up and leave when you want. She represents district 92.

Macer wrote an amendment that would penalize corporations for their actions, like taking back property tax incentives and preventing corporate tax breaks.

House members approved the amendment. It’s attached to Senate Bill 308.

The house approved the amendment by a 60-34 margin.

24-Hour News 8 reached out to some of those representatives who voted “no” for a comment, but we have not heard back.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
3-1-2016

Trump: If I'm president, Carrier won't move to Mexico

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump says if he's elected president, Indianapolis will keep the 1,400 jobs being lost by Carrier's move.

The presidential candidate told supporters at a rally in Louisville Tuesday that the company's bosses won't move to Mexico if he's elected.

Trump says the other option Carrier will face is a 35 percent tax on products it plans to produce in Monterrey, Mexico.

Trump's statements come on the same day he won the majority of GOP Super Tuesday primaries.