Carbon Dating - Looking for good articles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: ed21x
Now what annoys me about subjects like Radioactive Dating, evolution, etc. is that you can't work off scientific principles because neither of those theories can be observed nor replicated. The scale of both those theories makes it impossible to prove or disprove, which really makes argueing about it pointless.

Wow, and you criticize my scientific knowledge? Both of these theories can (and have been, extensively) be scrutinized using the scientific method. Strictly speaking the scientific method never serves to prove anything, but to disprove a hypothesis. Both carbon dating and evolution are very much falsifiable theories, yet neither has been falsified.

let's not talk in generalities here because those are impossible to disprove, as are massive overarching theories which cannoy be tested.

the problem with carbon dating is that while the concept is sound, it's affected by too many variables to make it accurate. And then you will get a ton of biased sources arguing for and against those variables. To give you an example, give one piece of petrified wood to a lab to analyze, and then take it to another for the same job. When all is said and done, the chances of the two labs agreeing on an age within 10 million years of one another is pretty low (if the wood is old). Accuracy my ass. Hell, most of the time, the discernable difference in mass from the one isotope to another is so minute that it is within the margin of error despite every little amount accounting for millions of years.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Now what annoys me about subjects like Radioactive Dating, evolution, etc. is that you can't work off scientific principles because neither of those theories can be observed nor replicated. The scale of both those theories makes it impossible to prove or disprove, which really makes argueing about it pointless.

Wow, and you criticize my scientific knowledge? Both of these theories can (and have been, extensively) be scrutinized using the scientific method. Strictly speaking the scientific method never serves to prove anything, but to disprove a hypothesis. Both carbon dating and evolution are very much falsifiable theories, yet neither has been falsified.

let's not talk in generalities here because those are impossible to disprove, as are massive overarching theories which cannoy be tested.

the problem with carbon dating is that while the concept is sound, it's affected by too many variables to make it accurate. And then you will get a ton of biased sources arguing for and against those variables. To give you an example, give one piece of petrified wood to a lab to analyze, and then take it to another for the same job. When all is said and done, the chances of the two labs agreeing on an age within 10 million years of one another is pretty low (if the wood is old). Accuracy my ass. Hell, most of the time, the discernable difference in mass from the one isotope to another is so minute that it is within the margin of error despite every little amount accounting for millions of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrified_wood
Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals

I don't think anyone claimed carbon dating worked well on quartz.

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Newfie
Originally posted by: magreen
Please explain to me how big bang theory relates to evolutionary theory. And no, I never claim to be tolerant of your views. Your views are ridiculous and so I will justly ridicule you for them. Your belief in God is primitive and pathetic.
The words of a true religious zealot.

Right, and baldness is a hair colour, right?

and you, my friend, gives scientists a bad name. do not ever claim to be one as you are inherently biased and close minded.

If a belief goes against basic scientific principles then it should not be tolerated at all. Religion, or any belief with "faith" should never hold any special status in our society, I don't care how old or how many people believe it.

If your belief is ridiculous and cannot apply to scientific standards, then expect ridicule.

The problem with this argument is that we are arguing whether radioactive dating works or not, not whether religion is true. Thus we should be open to the possibility that radioactive dating might be false, and researching from that perspective is more scientific than analyzing a theory on the pretense that it is true. Everything has to be false until proven otherwise.

We should be open to the fact that everything in science is fallible (I never said otherwise), however what we accept as fact has so much evidence backing it up that it's highly unlikely that it will change much at all.

I disagree that arguing about scientific theories is pointless. Einstein's theory of general relativity is "just a theory" that cannot be fully proved or disproved, however it as stood up to every single test we could throw at it. This does not make it 100% true, however it lends it a huge amount of credibility to it and it's the best theory we have to explain the physical universe (outside of the quantum world).

Evolution, the big bang theory, radioactive dating, and other scientific theories like it have been accepted as the best explanation of the evidence we have gathered from the world around us. Dismissing those theories without credible evidence is highly ignorant and irrational, but without rational debate on such topics those theories would have never arisen to what they are now.

It's beneficial to argue and debate about scientific theories, as long as it's done in a credible and rational way. Either the arguments against the theory fail and the theory gains credibility, or the arguments lead to a better explanation then the present theory, which then leads to the theory changing or being thrown out.

Science is a fantabulous tool :).

P.S: I would like to point out that radioactive decay and the rate of said decay can be observed. Unless the rate of decay for certain elements is different from what we observed (there is no evidence for such a thing), then we use these observations to develop our present day theory on radioactive dating. We also take more then one sample of what we are dating in order to eliminate (or reduce) the effect of any external influences.

I think I have reached the "theory" word quota for the day haha.

Oct 27, 2007
To give you an example, give one piece of petrified wood to a lab to analyze, and then take it to another for the same job. When all is said and done, the chances of the two labs agreeing on an age within 10 million years of one another is pretty low (if the wood is old). Accuracy my ass. Hell, most of the time, the discernable difference in mass from the one isotope to another is so minute that it is within the margin of error despite every little amount accounting for millions of years.

Radiocarbon dating is used to measure ages up to ~50,000 years, nowhere near 10,000,000 like you claim. It's becoming more apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The ratio of masses between the two isotopes is irrelevant with a large enough sample size, as the abundance of carbon-14 is found by measuring the decay events. This is a highly accurate method given a large enough sample.

When a smaller sample needs to be dated the mass ratios can be measured using a mass spectrometer, a method that easily has enough precision to measure the ratio of Carbon-12 to Carbon-14. Have you ever actually performed a lab experiment using either of these methods? Because I have done several and I can tell you for a fact that if the experiment is carefully performed and all uncertainties are taken into account the ratio of C12 and C14 can be expressed to a high degree of precision.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: magreen
Please explain to me how big bang theory relates to evolutionary theory. And no, I never claim to be tolerant of your views. Your views are ridiculous and so I will justly ridicule you for them. Your belief in God is primitive and pathetic.
The words of a true religious zealot.

Right, and baldness is a hair colour, right?

and you, my friend, gives scientists a bad name. do not ever claim to be one as you are inherently biased and close minded.

If a belief goes against basic scientific principles then it should not be tolerated at all. Religion, or any belief with "faith" should never hold any special status in our society, I don't care how old or how many people believe it.

If your belief is ridiculous and cannot apply to scientific standards, then expect ridicule.

The problem with this argument is that we are arguing whether radioactive dating works or not, not whether religion is true. Thus we should be open to the possibility that radioactive dating might be false, and researching from that perspective is more scientific than analyzing a theory on the pretense that it is true. Everything has to be false until proven otherwise.

Did you just say evolution is impossible to prove? GodlessAstronomer was being too gentle, I fear.

Oct 27, 2007
I disagree that arguing about scientific theories is pointless. Einstein's theory of general relativity is "just a theory" that cannot be fully proved or disproved, however it as stood up to every single test we could throw at it.

Just a quick point here, like most (even all?) scientific theories, General Relativity can indeed be disproved. In fact, that is one of the major criteria for a theory to qualify as scientific. As an example, if General Relativity had failed to predict the precession of Mercury's orbit it would be false. If Sir Arthur Eddington had failed to observe the deflection of starlight during the 1919 solar eclipse, the theory would be disproved. There are many, many examples of failed attempts to disprove the theory

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I think it can be fair to say that evolution is impossible to prove, but that would be based on semantics. Rather what we observe in nature can best be explained by the theory of evolution. Saying that evolution is proven, at least to me, seems to imply you understand every mechanics of the process. And, frankly, we do not. However evolution is as robust as a theory as one can practically have.

ruu

Oct 24, 2008
We should be open to the fact that everything in science is fallible (I never said otherwise), however what we accept as fact has so much evidence backing it up that it's highly unlikely that it will change much at all.

I disagree that arguing about scientific theories is pointless. Einstein's theory of general relativity is "just a theory" that cannot be fully proved or disproved, however it as stood up to every single test we could throw at it. This does not make it 100% true, however it lends it a huge amount of credibility to it and it's the best theory we have to explain the physical universe (outside of the quantum world).

Evolution, the big bang theory, radioactive dating, and other scientific theories like it have been accepted as the best explanation of the evidence we have gathered from the world around us. Dismissing those theories without credible evidence is highly ignorant and irrational, but without rational debate on such topics those theories would have never arisen to what they are now.

It's beneficial to argue and debate about scientific theories, as long as it's done in a credible and rational way. Either the arguments against the theory fail and the theory gains credibility, or the arguments lead to a better explanation then the present theory, which then leads to the theory changing or being thrown out.

P.S: I would like to point out that radioactive decay and the rate of said decay can be observed. Unless the rate of decay for certain elements is different from what we observed (there is no evidence for such a thing), then we use these observations to develop our present day theory on radioactive dating. We also take more then one sample of what we are dating in order to eliminate (or reduce) the effect of any external influences.

This is very, very well put. Thank you for this. :)

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals

everything gets mineralized and all organic content gets replaced... for wood, the fibers get broken down much like any other organic material...

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Babbles
I think it can be fair to say that evolution is impossible to prove, but that would be based on semantics. Rather what we observe in nature can best be explained by the theory of evolution. Saying that evolution is proven, at least to me, seems to imply you understand every mechanics of the process. And, frankly, we do not. However evolution is as robust as a theory as one can practically have.

It is proven that evolution has occurred. The theory of evolution is about how stuff evolved, not that it evolved.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ruu

This is very, very well put. Thank you for this. :)

:thumbsup:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
If the speed of light is decaying exponentially, why can't the rate of decay of carbon-14 be decaying exponentially as well? If you interpolate the curve on the decay of the speed of light backwards into history, you reach infinity at about 10,000 years. If the same thing happens with Carbon-14 decay (which it indeed may, as UCLA Labrat referenced above), then carbon-14 would finally line up with the 13 or so other methods we can use to date fossils (which by the way, all agree on the age of the fossil...in contradiction with Carbon-14 dating which is about 5 orders of magnitude off from these 13 other methods. About 11 of these dating methods find nothing older than 10,000 years, one finds the oldest materials to be about 50,000 years, the last one 100,000 years, and then of course Carbon-14 which says 100,000,000,000 years. Lol.).

For the speed of light thing, of course these people claim the speed of light ratings done in the 50's were not accurate...didn't have good enough measurements, blah blah.

"For all the self-proclaimed "tolerance" among evolutionists, that they demand of the "religious nutbags", they're awfully intolerant of our views."

Yes, very intolerant of people who spout nonsense or attempt to cut and paste on subjects they know very little about. Can you explain your carbon 14 dating that says 100,000,000,000 years thing? Carbon 14 is NOT able to date things that old.

Where do you get the idea that the speed of light is decaying exponentially?

Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
I'm not at all sold on carbon dating. The assumptions are essentially untestable from what I've read. That said, they assume in carbon dating:

I really don't think the dating techniques are the gospel they are purported to be.

The religious nutcases have been brainwashed. They're trained not to examine other data when it's contrary to their own views. And, they think that training applies to scientists as well. On the contrary - scientists are constantly looking at new data to refine their techniques and knowledge. You brought up a bunch of arguments against carbon dating. Here are some more: different plants are able to be "picky" about which type of carbon they absorb. Thus, the ratio in animals will vary depending on which plants they eat. Another issue: C14 levels vary locally. They're not constant every where, or even across time. Do you really think that scientists have ignored this evidence and just blindly measure C12/C14 ratios, plug the numbers into a formula and report the answer? That's the 8th grade version of C14 dating. It's much more complicated than that.

Here's another thing about scientists: they don't have an agenda. They don't give a damn how old the earth is. They don't try to make the data "fit" a conclusion that they already have. That's what religious fundamentalists do though: they try to interpret data to make it "fit" their preconceived notion that the earth is 4000 years old. And they can be quite convincing to ignorant people who really don't have much education & lack the ability to say "but that doesn't explain..." And, it appeals to the common sense of those people. It's pretty easy to tell those people that "scientists calibrate carbon dating to things of a known age, thus it's impossible for them to calibrate carbon dating beyond recorded history" then explain to them why suddenly everything goes haywire if you attempt to extend carbon dating 1000 years beyond recorded history. Fortunately, scientists ARE trained to consider ALL of the evidence. The main evidence given by the religious fundamentalists is their literal interpretation of the Bible. But, they're not going to mention to you that there are other means of dating, and quite coincidentally, they all have the same ball park ages for a lot of older items. Soccerballtux tried to dispute carbon dating and all other radioisotope dating with some nonsense about exponentially decreasing something or other.

In case you didn't know it, continents move around. California residents should be well aware of this whenever the ground trembles. And, with satellites, the rate that the continents are moving can be measured. If you look at geographic features - types of rocks, types of fossils, fossil layers, etc., you can figure out where some of those pieces were once connected. i.e. California's going to be one of the contiguous 48 states forever. 50 million years from now, anyone looking at the East coast of California is going to be able to say, "hey, this matches the west coast of the U.S. And, our satellites show that Cali is moving away from the U.S. I'll bet that at one time, they were connected right there. And, wow, look at this fossil of a californian. They're only found two places on earth: In California, and on that West coast of the U.S. Gee, that's even more evidence they were connected.

Now, extrapolating from the rate that California is moving away from the U.S., you would be able to take a rough guess at how long ago California was actually attached to the U.S. And, whadya know, that radio active isotope dating gives the same approximate age as well. Gee, and we've been studying erosion rates, and both coasts show the same age of erosion by the ocean. And so on. The scientists say to themselves, "wow, all these different aging techniques all line up with each other." The religious fundamentalist says "wow, every one of these aging techniques is wrong because; and they're all wrong by the exact same amount, and when the scientists finally listen to us and correct for these factors, they'll find out that we were right all along. The Earth is exactly as old as the literal interpretation of the Bible tells us."

Oh, and as far as calibrating C14 dating, there are other processes that can be used to help calibrate. One that's used is stalactite/stalagmite formation. (You'll have to google how they do it; I would have to google it myself for more info.) But, the point is, now people like Soccerballtux are going to have to make up another reason why stalactite formation was accelerated back then, but has slowed down now, and he'll have to come up with a reason that makes sure that none of those stalactites or stalagmites started forming too long ago; it would be contrary to his preconceived conclusion. (He also has to explain how something that's moving 1 inch per year now covered 1000 miles (over 63 million inches) in just 4000 years. Once he succeeds in that, I'll have to ask him to revise those speeds, or explain the incredible coincidences that show other arrangements of the continents, all the way back to pangea.

None of these dating methods are perfect, but these other processes are all in general agreement. That's why for younger specimens, C14 dating gives an answer of "+/- 50 years" but for older specimens, it might be "+/- 1000 years." (I didn't look up the precision; that should be good enough to get a good idea of what I mean though.) Scientists are aware of the weaknesses and relative amounts of error possible in their model. They account for this error. But, they don't start with an assumption of the correct age for the earth and calibrate all their processes & come up with hair-brained explanations to show why all these other processes are wrong.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Caveman
Originally posted by: Caveman
This is not a homework assignment, but rather an exchange of information among friends who were discussing the subject last night.

As a point of interest, we all believe the bible corroborates Carbon dating.

It's hard not to view folks who assume a belief in the bible assumes a non belief in science as "ignorant"... That really is a limited viewpoint.

Huh, I must have missed the chapter of the bible about nuclear physics.

No, just the trillions of years implied in the Hebrew rendition of Gen 1:1 and 1:2. Also, the bible nowhere limits man's capability. Rather, it supports the notion that our purpose is far greater than we can conceive, even with the best science.

why again, do we need a purpose? If your a logical eprson, you understand multiplying entities, or adding complexity (occam's razor) is illogical, so you really have no ground for believing anything the bible says.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
If the speed of light is decaying exponentially, why can't the rate of decay of carbon-14 be decaying exponentially as well? If you interpolate the curve on the decay of the speed of light backwards into history, you reach infinity at about 10,000 years. If the same thing happens with Carbon-14 decay (which it indeed may, as UCLA Labrat referenced above), then carbon-14 would finally line up with the 13 or so other methods we can use to date fossils (which by the way, all agree on the age of the fossil...in contradiction with Carbon-14 dating which is about 5 orders of magnitude off from these 13 other methods. About 11 of these dating methods find nothing older than 10,000 years, one finds the oldest materials to be about 50,000 years, the last one 100,000 years, and then of course Carbon-14 which says 100,000,000,000 years. Lol.).

For the speed of light thing, of course these people claim the speed of light ratings done in the 50's were not accurate...didn't have good enough measurements, blah blah.

"For all the self-proclaimed "tolerance" among evolutionists, that they demand of the "religious nutbags", they're awfully intolerant of our views."

Yes, very intolerant of people who spout nonsense or attempt to cut and paste on subjects they know very little about. Can you explain your carbon 14 dating that says 100,000,000,000 years thing? Carbon 14 is NOT able to date things that old.

Where do you get the idea that the speed of light is decaying exponentially?

Originally posted by: uclaLabrat
I'm not at all sold on carbon dating. The assumptions are essentially untestable from what I've read. That said, they assume in carbon dating:

I really don't think the dating techniques are the gospel they are purported to be.

The religious nutcases have been brainwashed. They're trained not to examine other data when it's contrary to their own views. And, they think that training applies to scientists as well. On the contrary - scientists are constantly looking at new data to refine their techniques and knowledge. You brought up a bunch of arguments against carbon dating. Here are some more: different plants are able to be "picky" about which type of carbon they absorb. Thus, the ratio in animals will vary depending on which plants they eat. Another issue: C14 levels vary locally. They're not constant every where, or even across time. Do you really think that scientists have ignored this evidence and just blindly measure C12/C14 ratios, plug the numbers into a formula and report the answer? That's the 8th grade version of C14 dating. It's much more complicated than that.

Here's another thing about scientists: they don't have an agenda. They don't give a damn how old the earth is. They don't try to make the data "fit" a conclusion that they already have. That's what religious fundamentalists do though: they try to interpret data to make it "fit" their preconceived notion that the earth is 4000 years old. And they can be quite convincing to ignorant people who really don't have much education & lack the ability to say "but that doesn't explain..." And, it appeals to the common sense of those people. It's pretty easy to tell those people that "scientists calibrate carbon dating to things of a known age, thus it's impossible for them to calibrate carbon dating beyond recorded history" then explain to them why suddenly everything goes haywire if you attempt to extend carbon dating 1000 years beyond recorded history. Fortunately, scientists ARE trained to consider ALL of the evidence. The main evidence given by the religious fundamentalists is their literal interpretation of the Bible. But, they're not going to mention to you that there are other means of dating, and quite coincidentally, they all have the same ball park ages for a lot of older items. Soccerballtux tried to dispute carbon dating and all other radioisotope dating with some nonsense about exponentially decreasing something or other.

In case you didn't know it, continents move around. California residents should be well aware of this whenever the ground trembles. And, with satellites, the rate that the continents are moving can be measured. If you look at geographic features - types of rocks, types of fossils, fossil layers, etc., you can figure out where some of those pieces were once connected. i.e. California's going to be one of the contiguous 48 states forever. 50 million years from now, anyone looking at the East coast of California is going to be able to say, "hey, this matches the west coast of the U.S. And, our satellites show that Cali is moving away from the U.S. I'll bet that at one time, they were connected right there. And, wow, look at this fossil of a californian. They're only found two places on earth: In California, and on that West coast of the U.S. Gee, that's even more evidence they were connected.

Now, extrapolating from the rate that California is moving away from the U.S., you would be able to take a rough guess at how long ago California was actually attached to the U.S. And, whadya know, that radio active isotope dating gives the same approximate age as well. Gee, and we've been studying erosion rates, and both coasts show the same age of erosion by the ocean. And so on. The scientists say to themselves, "wow, all these different aging techniques all line up with each other." The religious fundamentalist says "wow, every one of these aging techniques is wrong because; and they're all wrong by the exact same amount, and when the scientists finally listen to us and correct for these factors, they'll find out that we were right all along. The Earth is exactly as old as the literal interpretation of the Bible tells us."

Oh, and as far as calibrating C14 dating, there are other processes that can be used to help calibrate. One that's used is stalactite/stalagmite formation. (You'll have to google how they do it; I would have to google it myself for more info.) But, the point is, now people like Soccerballtux are going to have to make up another reason why stalactite formation was accelerated back then, but has slowed down now, and he'll have to come up with a reason that makes sure that none of those stalactites or stalagmites started forming too long ago; it would be contrary to his preconceived conclusion. (He also has to explain how something that's moving 1 inch per year now covered 1000 miles (over 63 million inches) in just 4000 years. Once he succeeds in that, I'll have to ask him to revise those speeds, or explain the incredible coincidences that show other arrangements of the continents, all the way back to pangea.

None of these dating methods are perfect, but these other processes are all in general agreement. That's why for younger specimens, C14 dating gives an answer of "+/- 50 years" but for older specimens, it might be "+/- 1000 years." (I didn't look up the precision; that should be good enough to get a good idea of what I mean though.) Scientists are aware of the weaknesses and relative amounts of error possible in their model. They account for this error. But, they don't start with an assumption of the correct age for the earth and calibrate all their processes & come up with hair-brained explanations to show why all these other processes are wrong.

mind reading the rest of the thread? there is a bunch of stuff that addresses what you already wrote. In summary, I wouldn't say scientists are biased towards any theory in particular, I would say that they are biased specifically against those that don't believe in carbon dating because those people are often heaped into the same category as religious nutcases, and thus their cases are never given the same respect or analysis.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

It is proven that evolution has occurred. The theory of evolution is about how stuff evolved, not that it evolved.

I do not think what you are saying is entirely accurate. Typically to 'prove' something you must have a controlled experiment and this can not necessarily be done with evolution. In fact there is a theory, and I can not recall what it is called, but essentially the act of measuring an event will by it's nature bias that event.

Again, what we see as evolution is not necessarily proof. What we see can best be explained by evolution.

It is primarily semantical, I realize, but I do think one has to be careful in making absolute declarations in science.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

everything gets mineralized and all organic content gets replaced... for wood, the fibers get broken down much like any other organic material...

Does captain obvious have a point?

Oct 27, 2007
mind reading the rest of the thread? there is a bunch of stuff that addresses what you already wrote. In summary, I wouldn't say scientists are biased towards any theory in particular, I would say that they are biased specifically against those that don't believe in carbon dating because those people are often heaped into the same category as religious nutcases, and thus their cases are never given the same respect or analysis.

I was just about to congratulate DrPizza on possibly the best post I've ever read on ATOT, and here comes Professor ed21x to shit on everyone's parade. Here's a clue, mate: almost none of what he said in that post has been covered in the detail he just wrote it. Basically what he said is what I've been trying to get into your thick skull but clearly DrPizza has a way with words that I just don't have.

Unless you can come up with even a sliver of evidence to suggest that there is some kind of institutionalized bias against carbon dating critics, I think you should read and try to comprehend what much more intelligent people than you (such as DrPizza) have to say. You may actually learn something. Meanwhile I would appreciate if you would address my post on the previous page where I showed your total lack of knowledge regarding carbon dating methods. If you don't have a reasonable rebuttal then maybe it's about time you admitted that you're just plain wrong.

DrPizza - excellent post :thumbsup:

Oct 27, 2007
I do not think what you are saying is entirely accurate. Typically to 'prove' something you must have a controlled experiment and this can not necessarily be done with evolution. In fact there is a theory, and I can not recall what it is called, but essentially the act of measuring an event will by it's nature bias that event.

Again, what we see as evolution is not necessarily proof. What we see can best be explained by evolution.

It is primarily semantical, I realize, but I do think one has to be careful in making absolute declarations in science.

See long term E. coli evolution experiment. This is one of many, many experiments that have shown evolution occurring in carefully controlled laboratory settings. If you'd like more then feel free to Google around for E. coli, fruitfly and bird evolution.

The contention that evolution has not been observed in a lab is patently false, a lie perpetuated by religious nutjobs.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

I was just about to congratulate DrPizza on possibly the best post I've ever read on ATOT, and here comes Professor ed21x to shit on everyone's parade. Here's a clue, mate: almost none of what he said in that post has been covered in the detail he just wrote it. Basically what he said is what I've been trying to get into your thick skull but clearly DrPizza has a way with words that I just don't have.

Unless you can come up with even a sliver of evidence to suggest that there is some kind of institutionalized bias against carbon dating critics, I think you should read and try to comprehend what much more intelligent people than you (such as DrPizza) have to say. You may actually learn something. Meanwhile I would appreciate if you would address my post on the previous page where I showed your total lack of knowledge regarding carbon dating methods. If you don't have a reasonable rebuttal then maybe it's about time you admitted that you're just plain wrong.

wow, you're really getting emotional there. calm down. getting emotional is one of the first blinds that keeps you from objective analysis. don't take anything here personally. You are still new here as well as in the world of University-level academia. And yes, you can attend one of my classes if you want to here at NYU. The annoying know-it-alls back when I was at Berkeley were horrible, both faculty and students, so I can attest to this first hand. And besides, just because I applaud DrPizza doesn't mean I agree with him (which I don't). He just happens to show more respect for differing opionions, which I highly suggest you do if you want to get any respect both here or in life.

now I have no obligations to address anything written by you, in fact, convincing you of anything isn't going to benefit me in anyway, so just conduct yourself with some maturity and enjoy the discussion.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
another article:

Effect of pressure on the decay rate of 7Be
Institute of Earth Sciences, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Received 10 February 2000; Revised 25 April 2000; accepted 11 May 2000. Available online 12 July 2000.

Beryllium-7 in Be(OH)2 gel was compressed in diamond-anvil pressure cells up to 442 kbar at room temperature. By counting the activity of 7Be, the decay rate for the conversion of 7Be to 7Li via electron capture was measured. The decay constant of 7Be, ?, was found to increase, but the rate of increase decreased with increasing pressure. A quadratic regression of the data yields (?-?0)/?0=(4.87×10-5)P-(5.9×10-8)P2, where the subscript zero denotes zero pressure and P stands for pressure in kilobar. Thus, ? of 7Be increases by about 1% at 400 kbar. The observed data set can be rationalized by an increase in electron density near the nucleus of 7Be at high pressures. This result may bear some implications for the conversion of 40K to 40Ar, which has been widely adopted to date geological events.

This article shows that pressure/temperature can have an effect on radioactive decay rate of Beryllium. Of course this isn't directly asking "is radioactive dating accurate?" so that you avoid biased answers, but you can get tested information and make your own assumptions.

Increasing electron density near the nucleus will logically have an effect on an electron-capture mode of radioactive decay just because the cross-section of the reaction is increased. I am unsure of what effect increased electron density would have on a reaction that proceeds via beta-decay.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

Does captain obvious have a point?

yes- the argument regarding petrified wood and other organic matter with respect to carbon dating are the same.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
another article:

Effect of pressure on the decay rate of 7Be
Institute of Earth Sciences, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Received 10 February 2000; Revised 25 April 2000; accepted 11 May 2000. Available online 12 July 2000.

Beryllium-7 in Be(OH)2 gel was compressed in diamond-anvil pressure cells up to 442 kbar at room temperature. By counting the activity of 7Be, the decay rate for the conversion of 7Be to 7Li via electron capture was measured. The decay constant of 7Be, ?, was found to increase, but the rate of increase decreased with increasing pressure. A quadratic regression of the data yields (?-?0)/?0=(4.87×10-5)P-(5.9×10-8)P2, where the subscript zero denotes zero pressure and P stands for pressure in kilobar. Thus, ? of 7Be increases by about 1% at 400 kbar. The observed data set can be rationalized by an increase in electron density near the nucleus of 7Be at high pressures. This result may bear some implications for the conversion of 40K to 40Ar, which has been widely adopted to date geological events.

This article shows that pressure/temperature can have an effect on radioactive decay rate of Beryllium. Of course this isn't directly asking "is radioactive dating accurate?" so that you avoid biased answers, but you can get tested information and make your own assumptions.

Increasing electron density near the nucleus will logically have an effect on an electron-capture mode of radioactive decay just because the cross-section of the reaction is increased. I am unsure of what effect increased electron density would have on a reaction that proceeds via beta-decay.

beta decay is suppose to increase along with an increase in electron density at the Nucleus.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001

See long term E. coli evolution experiment. This is one of many, many experiments that have shown evolution occurring in carefully controlled laboratory settings. If you'd like more then feel free to Google around for E. coli, fruitfly and bird evolution.

The contention that evolution has not been observed in a lab is patently false, a lie perpetuated by religious nutjobs.

evolutionary adaptation absolutely exists. however, for evolution to actually proceed, it must be accompanied by speciation, which has yet to be observed, this can apply to any other examples you've provided. Now evolution is a topic for another thread, lets keep this one on Carbon dating.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004

wow, you're really getting emotional there. calm down. getting emotional is one of the first blinds that keeps you from objective analysis. don't take anything here personally. You are still new here as well as in the world of University-level academia. And yes, you can attend one of my classes if you want to here at NYU. The annoying know-it-alls back when I was at Berkeley were horrible, both faculty and students, so I can attest to this first hand. And besides, just because I applaud DrPizza doesn't mean I agree with him (which I don't). He just happens to show more respect for differing opionions, which I highly suggest you do if you want to get any respect both here or in life.

now I have no obligations to address anything written by you, in fact, convincing you of anything isn't going to benefit me in anyway, so just conduct yourself with some maturity and enjoy the discussion.

The reason most scientists don't seriously entertain the criticisms of a sophisticated theory by uneducated persons is...it's generally a waste of time. As this thread illustrates. Berkeley's directory doesn't indicate anything & you're simply not on NYU's directory are you a student who's opted not to display that info publicly? So what do you teach? It's amusing to read your thinly veiled & condescending argument from authority - you must be in one of the disciplines where that's acceptable...