Can't enter bios despite clearing cmos/battery

czglory

Jan 27, 2008
I have a gigabyte h170n-wifi motherboard, and I am really just trying to be able to run oracle VM on my computer. I get an error: "Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT)"

Troubleshooting lead me to believe I need to enable virtualisation in the motherboard bios; as I tried the other steps (disabling windows hyper-v, reboot etc.). I am unable to enter the bios, however.

The keystrokes to enter bios seem to be ignored, and it looks like fast boot is on.

I have tried advanced startup-- I do not see the UEFI options that is required to benefit from this.

I have tried disabling fastboot in advanced power options.

Then I tried clearing cmos on jumper pins, with no luck, I tried removing the battery for over an hour.

I still cannot enter the bios, and I am frustrated. Any suggestions will be investigated! Thanks

czglory

Jan 27, 2008
thanks for the reply, but I have already tried both of those solutions, removing the battery and trying to use the windows UEFI settings, but that does not show. Removing the battery for an hour somehow did not work

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
thanks for the reply, but I have already tried both of those solutions, removing the battery and trying to use the windows UEFI settings, but that does not show. Removing the battery for an hour somehow did not work

Holding down the shift key when you restart your PC doesn't work? You can always clear your CMOS manually by using a jumper instead of just removing the battery. You are unplugging your PC from the wall when you removed your battery, correct? Another way that might help is this as several people in that thread said it worked for them:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1822298/ultra-fast-boot-unable-enter-bios.html

I have a similair problem with my new PC - built it today - April 24th it's i5 4670 k and gigabyte board . It boots in less then 2 seconds with fast boot but like most fast boot stuff it takes longer to load stuff and drivers and other things once in windows and takes longer to shutdown and that's bad cause I have a ssd

So to fix it
1. Open up the computer
2. Disconnect the data or power cord to the hard disks
3. Boot press delete to enter bios settings
4. Turn quick boot or fast boot off
5 . Connect every thing again and start up the PC

I hope that helps - no reason to reset the bios.

czglory

Jan 27, 2008
no, shift gives the same options as the other solution (no UEFI settings show). I have tried the cmos jumpers as well, but neither worked. I supposed I must try the last option which is disconnecting the drives, but I have m.2 drive in mini ITX case, its a huge pain to remove :( doing that now..

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I had this frustration about a week ago. I needed to enable virtualization in the BIOS in this HP desktop computer. I got to the setup screen the first time with no issue. However, it didn't save my change due to some convoluted key assignments. I just had to go back and enable it again, then back out and save correctly -- but I ended up spending an hour with no luck getting into the menu.

After all else failed, I found that I had to RESTART instead of shut-down/power-on. It only responded to my keys during POST when I was restarting the computer.

Yeah. It seems to be the opposite of how it should be.

Reactions: Mloot