Question Can't decide between NAS and DAS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Hi, I cannot decide between the two. Mainly for home use myself. No plan to grant access to outside use. Also no plan to RAID as it is not 100% fail-proof. In this case, is there any good reason to pay more to get a NAS?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Oh yeah, then maybe a private VLAN.
Or just don't use Windows. Simple solution.

Any storage solution out there doesn't use Windows. It might use it as a front end to manage things but, the underlying OS isn't MSFT. Besides that as mentioned NTFS is not your friend for storage. Avoid it other than a client OS or server but never storage.

q52

Jan 18, 2023
I use this : https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEQCTJB000/
+ a Mac Mini

I have a two disc RAID1 in the enclosure, along with an extra drive for Time Machine. Volumes are shared over SMB and the apple protocol, and the Mac mini itself has ssh access set up too.

I just leave the Mac Mini + DAS running 24/7, the Mac pulls about 7W and the storage is about 30-50W.

The reason I do this is Backblaze. By using macOS i can take advantage of Backblaze's unlimited personal desktop backup. This gives me a cloud backup of all my data for a flat rate.

It also lets me double up the backups with things like Amazon Photos' desktop client with unlimited photo storage with Prime.

Most of the time I'm just using rsync to copy the home dir of each of my personal laptops and PCs to the Mac Mini DAS . Occasionally i do mount the volumes over SMB.

Works pretty well.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Backblaze
Something I don't use but, could be useful for the paranoid. I find some of the cloud offerings scan the files and discard some of them based on signatures embedded in them. A way around this is to compress them in secured archives. Anything with sensitive info should be secured before uploading anyway. Relocation between sites is just a matter of scale and bandwidth. Setting up a NAS or similar device at a trusted persons location would provide the same off site security but, enhanced by you controlling both sides and not needing the additional archive security. The issue that srrises though can be data caps. Setting up rsync with a differential comparison cuts down on the data needs. I backup my os drive to my raid this way but internally in the same box.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Windows sucks for this kind of use with the constant updates and reboots. Not to mention using NTFS causes issues.

TrueNAS is a Linux based option. This will let you use something other than NTFS.
Afaik, TrueNAS core is FreeBSD based, though there is a Linux based option called TrueNAS scale.

OP, I don't think the NUC would make a very good file server, as I doubt there are many options for storage. Are there even any SATA ports?

Reactions: tablespoon

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Afaik, TrueNAS core is FreeBSD based, though there is a Linux based option called TrueNAS scale.

OP, I don't think the NUC would make a very good file server, as I doubt there are many options for storage. Are there even any SATA ports?

I don't recall it has SATA ports. TrueNAS also has the problem that thunderbolt is not supported.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I don't recall it has SATA ports. TrueNAS also has the problem that thunderbolt is not supported.
Why do you want thunderbolt on a server / NAS? My understanding is that is more for desktop / laptop computers.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

TrueNAS according to their page swapped to Linux from bsd. I could be wrong though.

The nuc as a NAS though would be using it for the network connection to hook up an enclosure to I've USB to provide bulk storage over the network using parts already on hand. I mean you could go as low as a Pi just for the network aspect.

Reusing things for more useful purposes works to an extent before performance becomes an issue. Starting out though it's a viable solution vs building a full PC in a storage oriented case.

I don't expect everyone to follow my footsteps in building a high performance media PC if all they're doing is data. I run multiple functions on my box though and some of them benefit from a modern CPU. I did use a nuc in a prior setup to accomplish some of this and it worked fine. I wanted to consolidate several devices into a single platform though. Some of them went external again though with tech updates like getting an external AP for AX and a atsc3 quad tuner for ota.

Jul 27, 2020
The reason I do this is Backblaze. By using macOS i can take advantage of Backblaze's unlimited personal desktop backup. This gives me a cloud backup of all my data for a flat rate.
I understand that Backblaze regularly verifies the data on your physical storage to make sure no one is abusing the unlimited storage feature. Suppose the physical storage suffers a failure and data is lost. How long will Backblaze keep the data on its servers before they delete it due to inability to verify with the physical storage?

q52

Jan 18, 2023
I understand that Backblaze regularly verifies the data on your physical storage to make sure no one is abusing the unlimited storage feature. Suppose the physical storage suffers a failure and data is lost. How long will Backblaze keep the data on its servers before they delete it due to inability to verify with the physical storage?

The better way to describe it is that they only backup data that is detected on your device and it's physically attached volumes (no network volumes).

If you remove a drive you will generally have 30 days i think before they stop storing the data on their servers.

However they have a version history feature for a couple extra dollars where they will store all versions of all files on the volumes for up to one year even if the files disappear, as long as the device and volume stay active. Right now I've got an old external drive that i removed 355 days ago and it's been sending me warning emails that they are finally gonna remove data for it from their server.

Also worth noting that the data stored in their cloud is encrypted before it even leaves your system, so they cannot see your files or their contents.

Also note that this is all describing their personal unlimited desktop backup service. They also have B2 storage which is basically like AWS S3 which you pay per TB per month but cheaper.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

q52

Jan 18, 2023
Something I don't use but, could be useful for the paranoid. I find some of the cloud offerings scan the files and discard some of them based on signatures embedded in them. A way around this is to compress them in secured archives. Anything with sensitive info should be secured before uploading anyway. Relocation between sites is just a matter of scale and bandwidth. Setting up a NAS or similar device at a trusted persons location would provide the same off site security but, enhanced by you controlling both sides and not needing the additional archive security. The issue that srrises though can be data caps. Setting up rsync with a differential comparison cuts down on the data needs. I backup my os drive to my raid this way but internally in the same box.
Backblaze does not do this. All data is encrypted before it even leaves your system to be stored on their server. The default encryption key is based on your user account password i think but you also have the option to configure a different encryption key. Backblaze has no way to know the contents of any file on their servers

q52

Jan 18, 2023

IIRC some NUC models used to have two SATA on board, one meant for an internal 2.5" HDD and a second that was not really useable due to size and space constraints but some people modified their NUC housing to cut a hole in the lid to allow a SATA cable to the extra port. Kinda janky but seemed to work. However you can always just use USB attached storages

Jul 27, 2020
Is that the same as "Storage Spaces"? I used them for a while and gave up because they constantly corrupted my volumes and kept failing.
No. Dynamic disks work in Disk Management. You right click a disk and choose to convert it from Basic to Dynamic. Then choose two dynamic disks to make them work in RAID 0 or 1. Limitation being that it won't be accessible in Windows Home Edition, I think.

Did you use Storage Spaces with ReFS?

Reactions: q52

q52

Jan 18, 2023
No. Dynamic disks work in Disk Management. You right click a disk and choose to convert it from Basic to Dynamic. Then choose two dynamic disks to make them work in RAID 0 or 1. Limitation being that it won't be accessible in Windows Home Edition, I think.

Did you use Storage Spaces with ReFS?
I don't remember but i think i used it in Enterprise Windows 10 with NTFS or something trying to replicate a RAID0 over two NVMe SSDs and yeah it was just constant failures and volume corruptions every other day until i gave up

Jul 27, 2020
I don't remember but i think i used it in Enterprise Windows 10 with NTFS
Possibly early bugs that are probably ironed out by now. I tried ReFS when it was first released. The amazing thing I found about it was that you NEVER need to CHKDSK it. It really is a resilient filesystem. You run CHKDSK on it and it will tell you, NO NEED! If you use Storage Spaces RAID 1 with ReFS, you are protected against silent data corruption as ReFS will constantly verify if any bits are corrupted and correct them silently. Kinda like ZFS.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Backblaze
Not much of an option for me with Linux as the price is significantly higher.

1674316781738.png

Now, if I could trick them into thinking it's a Windows box w/ a VM and just attach the Raid Array to that for access $7/no might work. For $600/yr I could just buy more disks and rotate them.

Jul 27, 2020
Now, if I could trick them into thinking it's a Windows box w/ a VM and just attach the Raid Array to that for access $7/no might work.
Worth a try. But the Linux RAID has to appear as a physical disk. You will need to put a VHD on the array and connect that VHD as a virtual disk in the VM, if you are using VirtualBox.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Worth a try. But the Linux RAID has to appear as a physical disk. You will need to put a VHD on the array and connect that VHD as a virtual disk in the VM, if you are using VirtualBox.
Using vb just add it as an attached device and it looks local if you map it. I'd rather not have stuff on someone else's disks though in the first place. It's a work around though if someone were to want to do it.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Any chance you have an old PC laying around? Use that for the NAS and there is no cost outside of the drives you need for storage. I've been using UnRAID for at least a decade now. The only cost was the license and the drives themselves, but there are other Free options as well.
That's what I did. I took parts left over from an upgrade and built an 8 bay NAS running Xigmanas. The only thing I needed to buy was a 10 dollar video card.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Why NAS is compatible with all sorts of OS such as Windows, iOS, MacOS, Linux, etc that it can store files from all these OS?

Given that exFAT is compatible with also all these OS, if we only consider wide compatibility across different OS as the main purchase decision, is there an advantage in choosing a NAS rather than a usb-scsi drive dock with disks formated to exFAT?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Why NAS is compatible with all sorts of OS such as Windows, iOS, MacOS, Linux, etc that it can store files from all these OS?

Given that exFAT is compatible with also all these OS, if we only consider wide compatibility across different OS as the main purchase decision, is there an advantage in choosing a NAS rather than a usb-scsi drive dock with disks formated to exFAT?
Because samba/SMB is file system agnostic. File integrity is better when not using MSFT based options

Jul 27, 2020
Because the NAS OS doesn't give direct access of its filesystem to the other devices. Over the network, filesystem doesn't matter. What matters is the network protocol being used to share files and all the devices share that common protocol.

1674337089599.png

Using SMB/ CIFS, all three OSes can access the NAS.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
IIRC some NUC models used to have two SATA on board, one meant for an internal 2.5" HDD and a second that was not really useable due to size and space constraints but some people modified their NUC housing to cut a hole in the lid to allow a SATA cable to the extra port. Kinda janky but seemed to work. However you can always just use USB attached storages
Yeah true, I do remember NUCs with SATA. Either way, I would avoid using drives attached by USB.