Canon G5 digital camera ***Found a nice cam***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd say go for a heavily discounted G2 or a G3. I just see no other reason to get the G5 for the additional money. I've owned both the G2 and the G3 and you can't go wrong with either of them. Later today I'll publish some pictures taken by my G3 of my trip from Ireland.

My G3 makes some downright amazing 8x10 prints. Unless you are going to be printing even larger than that, I don't see much reason at all to go with the higher MP rating. All you are doing is reducing the number of pictures you can fit on your memory card.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Consider the Olympus CZ5050. You can also still occasionally find an E-10 for under a grand.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I'll bet that your g/f returns it within 14 days.

Unless you need a $1,000 digicam and you are an Elite photographer (like lirion) is, spending that kind of dough on a digicam is stupid.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If nothing else, they should be able to lop $100.00 off Circuit City's price doing some kind of price match. Personally, I'd seriously consider swapping for the F717 at about the same price.

It's really no more money than everybody else spends by the time they've purchased their "first camera", then their first upgrade and finally a keeper. Might as well buy the keeper right off the bat! The prosumer Sonys seriously help amateurs by having faster lenses and the 'NightFrame' exposure*. Money well spent, and it's a wash in the end anyway, if you ultimately upgrade a couple times, which seems to be the norm around here.

* Hologram Focus
  • The F717 (and V1) features high-speed scan autofocus and a "hologram" focusing assist device to insure properly focused pictures no matter what the light levels are. This new autofocus system uses a Class 1 laser to paint a grid pattern on the subject and is perfectly safe, even when aimed directly at someone's eyes. I found it nearly impossible to "fool" the AF, the only out of focus pictures I ever got were when I was using the manual focus mode. The maximum range of the laser-assisted AF system is 4.5m

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Ornery
If nothing else, they should be able to lop $100.00 off Circuit City's price doing some kind of price match. Personally, I'd seriously consider swapping for the F717 at about the same price.

It's really no more money than everybody else spends by the time they've purchased their "first camera", then their first upgrade and finally a keeper. Might as well buy the keeper right off the bat! The prosumer Sony's seriously help amateurs by having faster lenses and the 'NightFrame' exposure. Money well spent, and it's a wash in the end anyway, if you ultimately upgrade a couple times, which seems to be the norm around here.

Or if MSN still had the 20% off Passport you could have saved 20% off.

I would get the P72 or F717 instead of the V1.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
what camera did you get then?

i have a 717, gonna have spent $600 more on it by the end of summer:
what i have now:
extra battery
tcon-1.7 (teleconverter by olympus)
stepdown ring for tcon
sony camera bag (moulded one)
sony tripod with remote (680rm)
protection filter
ND +2 filter
linear polarizer

what i will get soon:
mcon-35 (macroconverter by olympus)
stepup ring for mcon
wcon-0.8B (wideangle converter by olympus)
stepup ring for wcon

--

oh, nm, saw the V1 update. from what i've read, the v1 sucks. if you want any v1 specific help, dpreview forums or the like.