Canon 6D.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
At the price point, most people feel mount/ergonomics-locked anyway, because they had at least one previous camera from that manufacturer.
Still, I suspect in retail, the 6D may drop in price faster than the D600.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
At the price point, most people feel mount/ergonomics-locked anyway, because they had at least one previous camera from that manufacturer.

And, more than that, considerable investment in a family of lenses that can exceed the cost of the camera body.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
And, more than that, considerable investment in a family of lenses that can exceed the cost of the camera body.

Well that leads us to another problem...not all lenses work with the 6D.

What I do like though is the size. Might make a great travel camera if the AF is decent.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Looks pretty weak compared to the D600.
Agreed. AF is 11-point with 1 cross-type (vs. 39-point with 9 cross-type). Viewfinder in 97% (vs. 100%). Single SD card slot (vs. two). 4.5FPS (vs. 5.5FPS). 20MP (vs. 24MP).

Built-in GPS and WiFi is nice.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed. AF is 11-point with 1 cross-type (vs. 39-point with 9 cross-type). Viewfinder in 97% (vs. 100%). Single SD card slot (vs. two). 4.5FPS (vs. 5.5FPS). 20MP (vs. 24MP).

Built-in GPS and WiFi is nice.

GPS and WiFi are things that you can add onto the D600, for added cost, though. 39-point AF, extra FPS, extra card slot are not things that you can add later to the 6D.

If the 6D's video is anything like the 5D's, the D600 will be able to out-resolve it as well.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
The thing I find interesting is the 100-25600 ISO (is that base?) and the two stops of reduced noise at high iso. Is that just software noise reduction?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
The thing I find interesting is the 100-25600 ISO (is that base?) and the two stops of reduced noise at high iso. Is that just software noise reduction?

yah, that's base. and then they had H1 (51200) and H2 (102400), not enabled by default.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Well I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe they pull a rabbit out of the hat. The problem I have is that I want to buy a camera NOW and not in December.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
TBH - Yawn. I'm sure it will attract a bunch of rebel upgraders but most of those would be better suited with a 60d.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
TBH - Yawn. I'm sure it will attract a bunch of rebel upgraders but most of those would be better suited with a 60d.

it's probably an attractive upgrade for rebel owners to go to a 60d w/ a full frame sensor (minus the swiveling screen..)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
it's probably an attractive upgrade for rebel owners to go to a 60d w/ a full frame sensor (minus the swiveling screen..)
You guys are looking at it wrong.

It's a more attractive upgrade for someone who was going to drop $3500 on a 5D3, doesn't need pro-level AF, and can live without the extra 2 megapixels in exchange for $1500 cash in their pockets.

Canon's prosumer full-frame lineup is truly asinine now. The $1000 price difference between a D600 and a D800 makes sense. The $1500 price difference between a 6D and 5D3 does not.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I got a 5D mkii (new at $1700) 3 weeks ago to get use to it before I take it travelling in December. I do not have time to wait for the 6D, but I think the 6D will be more than adequate as a travel camera, because so far I found that the 5D mkii AF is more than capable of doing what ever I throw at it.

There are a few minor faults that I found on the 5D mkii such as, on off switch, crappy auto white balance, and 9 points default auto focus instead of centre focus as default. However, I can live with these minor faults and there are ways that I can over come the annoyances.

Feb 19, 2001
Ehhh... its like FF but crappy FF. Not enough of an upgrade for my 7D. I'm still eyeing the 5D3 though. WTF Canon. They could've just used the Apple strategy and keep selling the 5D2 for a discount and do just fine. Instead they launch a weak product like this. Used 5D2 will still be an EXCELLENT option.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
What standard EOS lens won't work?

The EF-S lenses do not work on it. That means that anyone moving from a crop camera to this FF camera will have to replace all of their crop lenses.

Nikon made it backwards compatible so they won't have this problem.

I don't get Canon at all really with this release but I'm still really curious if they blow us all away with image quality or something. Not holding my breath though since I can't wait until December to get a new camera.

At first glance this camera looks like a dud though.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
The EF-S lenses do not work on it. That means that anyone moving from a crop camera to this FF camera will have to replace all of their crop lenses.

Nikon made it backwards compatible so they won't have this problem.

I don't get Canon at all really with this release but I'm still really curious if they blow us all away with image quality or something. Not holding my breath though since I can't wait until December to get a new camera.

At first glance this camera looks like a dud though.

why would you single out the 6D? everyone knows that EF-S won't work on all FF...

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
why would you single out the 6D? everyone knows that EF-S won't work on all FF...

And to be fair, nobody in their right mind uses a D600 as a 10MP APS-C camera (which it is with a DX lens mounted).

It's merely a physical compatibility, not a practical one from Nikon.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I happen to have Nikon glass. 1 full frame lens, 3 dx lenses. If I buy a D600 they will all work. It's a stop gap but a D600 in DX mode is a D3000 with bells and whistles. It will do the job until one buys all full frame glass.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Yeah, keeping the backwards compatibility means I wouldn't have to immediately replace my fisheye or wide-angle lenses right away. I could suffer that financial pain incrementally.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000

Of course, but they don't work in the 5D either. M family of lenses has no EF-S types.. Point is, with any serio9us investment in lenses, it is not very muich of an option to switch to Nikon.

Looks like the 6D is sort of a medicaid FF model. :)