Cancelled Age of Conan, went back to WoW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

styroe

Jan 29, 2005
I quit AoC (selling collectors preorder edition if anyone is interested) but not going back to WoW. AoC definitely lacks the community that WoW has but there is a game better than WoW that has me lusting for another great game. I've played tons of MMO's but nothing meets the community base and the explorability of land like Asheron's Call (even the second asherons call sucked in comparison. When there is seemlessly 500 square miles to wander in, than it can start to be a good game. I don't like games with load times inbetween zones unless you are going into an instance. Oh, Asherons Call, how your player base fell off, soon WoW will get it too, but AoC never had it and I really don't think ever will.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
As bad as WoW is, it's massive community of idiots, pros, nice people, etc to chose from and play with makes up for anything that makes it suck. There are some mature and easy-going people to play with and definitely worth hanging out irl.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: Anubis
and you know what, the same exact thing is gonna happen with Warhammer

My money is on this as well. No publisher/developer has been willing to invest the time and money that it takes to truly develop a quality MMO which succeeds past the first year or two for a while now. I can't say I blame them. It's a huge risk, but then again if you are going to do something you might as well do it right.

Turbine other than AC2, has had the best track record. AC is still kicking(albeit slightly), LoTR and D&DOnline are doing pretty decently as well.

Enough for Turbine to get $49million in cash for development for the unnamed multiplatform MMOG they are working on. Turbine is the only development studio still in business to have have THREE successful MMOs.

Also I might add WoW wasnt perfect out of the gate either. WoW has also been helped immensely by Blizzards CULT following in Korea. It doesnt hurt it has also been localized everywhere in the world(at this point), sans Africa.

Danwar

May 30, 2008
I play LOTRO as well, i find it quite refreshing being in a game where the community is overall mature (unlike WoW's, barrens chat anyone?).

and i think its great to be in a game where youre more concerned about the storyline (cinematics help a lot in immersion), as opposed to wow where your only worry is how many more arena or battleground matches you need to lose before getting your next epic item.

I quit WoW because it became a pvp gear grind. if i wanted that i might as well be playing Quake/CS/ Battlefield series etc... i think that WoW forgot about the "RP" in MMORPG.

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
I have fun playing AoC with friends from real life.. We have a blast.... We aren't rushing to level 80, and taking our time.. It's fun to play off and on through the week.

Scrimmy

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Bradtechonline
I have fun playing AoC with friends from real life.. We have a blast.... We aren't rushing to level 80, and taking our time.. It's fun to play off and on through the week.

Superrock's post above pretty much exactly sums up my own thoughts on both AoC and WoW, so I won't add anything to that.

AoC is actually incredibly fun right up until level 50. There are some fun quests, lots of very cool zones, and some decent PvP at lower levels. Once you hit the Eiglphian Mountains, though, the bottom drops out of the game. So take your time, have fun, and hopefully they'll get the higher-level content fixed by the time you get there.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Still playing AoC and WoW but maybe someone can answer something for me. In what world would you take the time to harvest material and craft when the product you make is little better than what you might find off the average drop, and is soon exceeded in a few levels. Not to mention that the cost of making items is often more than you can get for the item crafted.

Gems are selling for a few tin. Thats rediculous.

WoW's crafting is the same way. Totally not worth it. Problem is I like crafting. I do think that the problem could be fixed in WoW if you get rid or speedup leveling in a craft. If you increased the advancement to one level for green, 5 for yellow and so forth then everyone wouldnt need to make a hundred copper daggers to get to the next level and wouldn't be dumping them on the AH for cheap.

AoC what is the point of all the white items that fall off simple drop, can't save them to sell to vendors without fill up quick and not enough vendors around to run back every 20 kills.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
aoc killed gem cutting/armorer when they nerf the gem stacking.

oh.. and to fix the leather/silk drop issues.... they bump up the drop rate on mobs.... except they bump the wrong thing.... cotton and cottonwisp... wtf... cotton have their own nodes...

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
Given the economics of it, I just don't see how anyone can compete with WoW. They get $100 million in revenue each month, much of which goes into content creation. I don't think any game developer out there for PC's has that kind of budget for their entire game period.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
WoW has cartoonish characters as opposed to more realistic human beings in AoC. I sold my level 60 orc on ebay like 2 years ago and never got back to WoW, For many reasons, one because of all those teenagers playing that game. Also it was becoming pointless, the only goal had become to get better gears...
I started playing AoC a week ago and so far i like it. im only level 15 for now, so i'll see if it gets better or worse after that.

smokeyjoe

Dec 13, 1999
I also canceled a few weeks ago.. gem stacking ruined PVP allowing incredibly overpowered melee and rangers, nerfing invul's just made the damage stacked gear more OP.. and the fact that Funcom still has not fixed the gem dupe that has existed since launch.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: gammaray
WoW has cartoonish characters as opposed to more realistic human beings in AoC. I sold my level 60 orc on ebay like 2 years ago and never got back to WoW, For many reasons, one because of all those teenagers playing that game. Also it was becoming pointless, the only goal had become to get better gears...
I started playing AoC a week ago and so far i like it. im only level 15 for now, so i'll see if it gets better or worse after that.

When you play enough MMOs, you'll realize that they all are full of teenagers. If you want to get away from teenagers, you'll have to play exclusively single player modes and move to a retirement community :p

I totally agree on the other point though, WoW is such a drag once you hit the level cap. Oh boy, I'm going to clear this dungeon 20 times so that I can get a piece of gear that increases my stamina by 5 more points... sounds fun. I have to admit though, leveling up was a lot of fun the first time (and even the second, since I did areas that I skipped on my first character)

drednox

Mar 24, 2003
i used to play Anarchy Online, so i am fully aware of what Funcom is capable of.

BTW, it took them 2-3 years after game launch to finally work out all the bugs out of my primary character class, which was Martial Artist. And these bugs have been there in teh game since beta, i know because i myself with many others have reported them to Funcom.

so it seems history repeats itself once more. yet when i posted this on the AoC forums before game launch, you would not believe just how badly i got slammed. i am glad i am not liek Funcom, have learned from my mistakes and did not buy this game.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Yes, this is my main complaint about WoW. AoC has the look right, but I am tired of slow levelling.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Only lasted a couple months into my 3-month subscription when last nite, I finally decided enough was enough. I was thinking about hitting level 80 first with my assassin, but the last few levels were boring, repetitive and pointless.

I'm going back to LotRO in preparation for the expansion - Mines of Moria - to come out hopefully in a couple months.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Jumpem

Yes, this is my main complaint about WoW. .

ive never understood why anyone cares that WoW has cartoon looking characters, its takes everything from Warcraft which was ..... exactly the same

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well I was sort of excited to start my free trial for this game tonight or tomorrow night, but wow, this thread has been a downer. Maybe I should just skip it and play the updated TF2.

KT

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Well I was sort of excited to start my free trial for this game tonight or tomorrow night, but wow, this thread has been a downer. Maybe I should just skip it and play the updated TF2.

KT

Try the game, the "haters" are doing you curious folks a disservice :(
The game has a lot going for it, even though there are problems, especially past lvl 50.
But the beginning is very well done, the first 20 levels through Tortage and the 20-40 going through the 3 main cities are all fun.
The graphics, animations, spells effects and even the way you melee are new and interesting. Tortage is loaded with great quest lines and NPCs, the faction starting areas have less voice acting, but again, most of the quests are fun.
Yes the PVP is broken and there are level ranges where you grind, poor crafting so far and other problems, but all in all worth a free trial.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ginfest

KT

The game has a lot going for it, even though there are problems, especially past lvl 50.
But the beginning is very well done, the first 20 levels through Tortage and the 20-40 going through the 3 main cities are all fun.
The graphics, animations, spells effects and even the way you melee are new and interesting. Tortage is loaded with great quest lines and NPCs, the faction starting areas have less voice acting, but again, most of the quests are fun.
Yes the PVP is broken and there are level ranges where you grind, poor crafting so far and other problems, but all in all worth a free trial.

Cool, thanks.

Any recommendations on class or anything I should know before firing it up?

KT

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

KT

Cool, thanks.

KT

Melee= more key's to hit for combo's
Caster = Easier to use but squishy

I enjoyed the barbarian a lot in the early part of the game, are you going pve or pvp?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KMFJD

KT

Cool, thanks.

KT

Melee= more key's to hit for combo's
Caster = Easier to use but squishy

I enjoyed the barbarian a lot in the early part of the game, are you going pve or pvp?

Definitely PVE, I have no desire to do PVP.

KT

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
just try a class you might like, forget about what classes are hotter, deal more damages etc. Make a cool looking guy with weapons you
want to carry and play the guy...