Cancel that Iranian vacay

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran said on Saturday it would stop U.S. citizens entering the country in retaliation to Washington's visa ban against Tehran and six other majority-Muslim countries announced by new U.S. President Donald Trump.

"While respecting the American people and distinguishing between them and the hostile policies of the U.S. government, Iran will implement the principle of reciprocity until the offensive U.S. limitations against Iranian nationals are lifted," a Foreign Ministry statement said.
http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-vows-reciprocal-steps-in-retaliation-for-us-visa-ban-2017-1

1ae3134cfaf4d0788203edb700eb21fa.jpg

Iran? Not Iran?! Nooo!!!

Reactions: AnonymouseUser

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I'd rather see improved relations with Iran than most other countries tbh. The Persians are some of the o.g. Aryan ubermensch, among the founders of civilization, and even in the light of Islamic conquest they've always maintained a dedication to moderation and the sciences. If it wasn't for the CIA fucking things up in the 50s and beyond, they'd probably be a democracy and regional superpower stronger than India right now.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What it means is that European competitors to American business will make the deals & reap the profits of an expanding Iranian economy.

Pulling out of the TPP means much the same. All of America rather than just Trump country gets left behind by the ROTW.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
When is the last time an Iranian national commited an act of terror on US soil?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Does anyone really want to go to Iran anyway? They will just lock you up and let you rot.

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
The mullahs can go jump of a bridge. If it wasnt for their antisemitic bs I wouldnt have had a life of freedom growing up in the US. In iran it would have been back of the bus and treated as a second class citizen. A country that actively funds terrorism. As if I would want to go back and get imprisoned and used for political fodder. They're the ones that should be boycotted.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What it means is that European competitors to American business will make the deals & reap the profits of an expanding Iranian economy.

Pulling out of the TPP means much the same. All of America rather than just Trump country gets left behind by the ROTW.

Yea, this is a green light to the Europeans and Chinese that we're out of the running and to make their best offers.

Given the number of Iranian-born terror attacks committed on US soil I can only assume Iran's inclusion in the list of banned countries is courtesy of Flynn who is gearing up to start our next Middle East war with them.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Embassies are not sovereign soil. They are treated however with diplomatic courtesy.
From State Department:

"U.S. embassies and consulates abroad, as well as foreign embassies and consulates in the United States, have a special status. While diplomatic spaces remain the territory of the host state, an embassy or consulate represents a sovereign state. International rules do not allow representatives of the host country to enter an embassy without permission --even to put out a fire -- and designate an attack on an embassy as an attack on the country it represents."

Dec 10, 2005
From State Department:

"U.S. embassies and consulates abroad, as well as foreign embassies and consulates in the United States, have a special status. While diplomatic spaces remain the territory of the host state, anembassy or consulate represents a sovereign state. International rules do not allow representatives of the host country to enter an embassy without permission --even to put out a fire -- and designate an attack on an embassy as an attack on the country it represents."
That's great, but it's not U.S. sovereignty.

Dec 10, 2005
What does this quote mean to you

"While Diplomatic spaces remain the territory of the host state, an embassy or consulate represents a sovereign state."
It means that embassies and consulates are not sovereign soil of the US. They are merely afforded special privileges thanks to treaties and customs.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It means that embassies and consulates are not sovereign soil of the US. They are merely afforded special privileges thanks to treaties and customs.
Ok. That is a game of semantics, but I understand the disconnect, so thank you for clarifying. Any nation that suffers an attack on its embassy would consider it an attack on its sovereignty.

Iran is hardly a friend or a rational actor. I worked with many brilliant Iranians who GTFO during the revolution, and they've suffered years of harassment and horror stories when attempting to visit family still in Iran.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Does anyone really want to go to Iran anyway? They will just lock you up and let you rot.

yes, i hope to be able to take a vacation there before i die. in iraq and turkey as well.

between those 3 countries there is SO much ancient history that i would like to be able to see.

maybe in 30-40 years, things will be better... but i doubt it :(

like i've always been told, "things get worse and worse... then you die".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

A good friend of mine is a dual Iranian/US citizen. He has family there that he has visited several times.

Relations with Iran were (slowly) improving until this clown got elected. Looks like he fucked something else up.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Iran is hardly a friend or a rational actor.

Well, they parlayed their nuclear capabilities into a major change in long standing US policy & the policy of the EU. That wasn't luck.

Just because we don't understand them very well doesn't mean they aren't rational in their own way.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Regardless, the last sentence was the important one.

"and designate an attack on an embassy as an attack on the country it represents"

So while not technically sovereign soil it's virtually the same thing.