Canadians.......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
While we are on the subject, perhaps one of you from up north could answer a question. What the hell is poutine?? and what is a doughnar? I know they are both something you folks eat, but I always wondered what they are. Thanks

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks Denni, I almost ordered poutine once, just to see what it was. I didn't dare... I was afraid I'd mispronounce it and get slapped...:Q

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
The ironic thing is, I think the 'eh' & 'hoser' stereotype was popularized by 'Bob' & 'Doug' one SCTV (Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas, two Canadians).

Cheers,
Aquaman

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Do they not make poutine in the states??? I thought it was made everywhere!

Ok, question for you my southern members... do you have "New York Fries" in the states. I heard you didn't.

Also, I remember the first time I went to the states, I had lunch and the first thing I heard was...

"Smoking or nan"... I thought it was hilarious.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
As a Canadian I can tell you:

Yes, we do say "eh". However, not alot of us say it, only the hosers. I consider myself a hoser, and say "eh" a lot more than I should.

We do not say aboot. I have never heard anyone say this and find it quite funny when I hear Americans say this.

It is no cooler here than in the US. I live in Toronto, and if you check your map you'll notice that it, as well as the largest portion of Canada with a substantial population (i.e., Southern Ontario) is further south than much of the States. It gets hot and sticky here too kids. Now if you are stupid enough to live in Thunder Bay, or Edmonton or Saskatoon then you deserve to be cold ;).

The real difference between us and Americans is that we are less scary than you guys. We are less extreme, we don't all carry handguns, we care about our homeless and our poor and our sick, we have Universal Healthcare, and we pay a f@ck of alot of taxes ;).

Cheers,
Napalm

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Several of my roommates in college were Canadian. They were all great guys and taught me how to be a "serious" beer drinker. That LaBatt's Extra Stock is wicked!

The only dialect peculiarity that seemed odd to me was the use of "zed" for the letter Z ("zee"). I was driving a Z28 in those days, and had no clue what they meant initially by "Zed28".

I do have one gripe with Canadians. Their commercial fishing industry is raping our Great Lake (specifically, Lake Erie) of the top sport fish, walleye. We're going to have to go to a 4 fish per person limit in the States to try and save the lake's population, while the Canadians are allowed to continue to net fish by the tons. This is total BS!

tas

Jul 10, 2000
anyone from north of the border will know what my signature means, eh.

tas

Jul 10, 2000
anyone from north of the border will know what my signature means, eh.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Ban them all, I say. Down with *.ca.

It is no cooler here than in the US. I live in Toronto, and if you check your map you'll notice that it, as well as the largest portion of Canada with a substantial population (i.e., Southern Ontario) is further south than much of the States. It gets hot and sticky here too kids. Now if you are stupid enough to live in Thunder Bay, or Edmonton or Saskatoon then you deserve to be cold

LOL! That's the most idiotic thing I've heard. Next winter, go down to Detroit, which is marginally South of Toronto. I guarantee it'll be around 20 degrees warmer.

I've been to Toronto in the summer. Do you seriously consider an average daily high of 70 degrees to be "hot and sticky"? It would be hilarious to take you to Phoenix or Miami in July, and watch you fry :)

chansen

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
CyberSax,

You ignorant hoser. While it has been unseasonably cool so far this summer, our thermometers often go above 100F during June, July and August. Yes, our asphalt melts too. In fact, I'd love to be in Phoenix during our hot, muggy, humid days. 105F combined with 95% humidity weakens the knees in minutes.

You can guarantee all you want about Detroit, but you're wrong. Unless they are receiving a different weather system than we are, Detroit, Chicago and Buffalo are often colder than Toronto. Buffalo definitely gets more snow.

In fact, while we have shown an ability to weather the high heat you write of, I doubt you could take the cold we (and Detroit) experience in the winter. Yes, you'll get another 10F hotter than us perhaps, but there's always something funny about an American in full winter regalia while the Canadians around them are in sweaters.

Craig

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
105F combined with 95% humidity weakens the knees in minutes.

LMFAO!!!

According to this climate chart: http://www.bestplaces.net/html/climatewld3.asp?wmo=716240&cty=CN

you get 4 days, that's 4 days each year when the temperature climbs over 90 degrees at some point. Not only that, but the "Extreme High Yearly Temperature" is 99 degrees. And here, according to your own bullsh|t post, you're implying that "105 degrees with 95% humidity" is something that you have to contend with on a daily basis. HAHAHAHA!!!

Question: Do you even know what 105 degrees is? Stick to your little celcius thermometer chump.

I'll concede that I may have been off about the difference in extreme temperatures, but the point I was trying to make is that one of the coldest U.S. cities is still substantially warmer than one of the warmest Canadian cities. Keep in mind that over half the U.S. population now lives below the Mason-Dixon line.

And why are you calling me a hoser?

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The "other" Americans...

That can go anywhere in the world with their flag on their luggage.

DLC

Jul 18, 2000
Im on holiday in the US, and went up to Canada for a bit... Canadians are fine... its you US people I worry about.. u r all messed up hard!!
Take a look at your country... its laughable!

deliriou5

Jul 21, 2000
Canada's existence and identity depend upon the US. Think about it; the whole world thinks of Canada as "that country above america". If we were to cut off free trade with canada, canada would die. and since they have no military to speak of, they could never do anything about it. Think of canada as.... america's little brother. Needy, harmless... we would never abuse canada because it's so "innocent". And finally, any "canadian pride" is simply a facade to hide the fact that in their hard of hearts, every canadian really wishes he/she could be an american. LOL :)

Tulkas

Oct 25, 1999
CyberSax i am a Canadian and i live in hamilton just outside of toronto. And Chansen is correct to say that we do recieve very warm weather with a extremely high humidity. (4 days where temp is over 90 is way off)
And actually our winters are not that bad in southern ontario.. example when i went to high school we would go to buffalo for our sking trips. and that was only a year ago. Why yu ask... well buffalo always had more snow and more stable cold climate for keeping the snow on the hills.
To the person who mention the canadian military well all i can say is that we may not have the money to fund a large army like the US but our military is trained as well if not better than any military in the world. O and by the way dont think that yur military is so great because 1)ALL THE GREATEST MILITARY FORCES IN THE WORLD FALL 1 DAY OR ANOTHER! :)

Midnight Rambler i dont know where yu heard yur info but we canadians care more about our wildlife than our families. Fishing in canada is some of the best in the world.. why because we continue to stock and make better regulations. We canadians have been regulated per fish per certain area since i can remember. Pick up one of Our fishing regulation guides 1 day. Yu will be so confussed by what area and what limit yu can bring home yu will be scared to even go fishing. How much do americans pay for a fishing licence? We canadians pay $20 a year to fish these fine waters. And by the way Lake Erie is just as much ours as it is yours.

TULKAS>>>>>>>>>> PROUD TO BE A CANADIAN :)

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
And actually our winters are not that bad in southern ontario.. example when i went to high school we would go to buffalo for our sking trips. and that was only a year ago. Why yu ask... well buffalo always had more snow and more stable cold climate for keeping the snow on the hills.

I don't understand where you're trying to go with this "Buffalo is colder than Toronto, hence, Canada is a warm place" logic. It's like a 5'5" dude trying to convince me that he's taller than most NBA players because he's bigger than Muggsy Bogues. More importantly, it strikes me as rather pathetic that people from a nation like Canada would come to the U.S. to go skiing. It's like going to Hawaii and eating apples instead of pineapples. The cold is only good for winter sports, and in Canada, you can't even take advantage of that! Pitiful :(

Midnight Rambler i dont know where yu heard yur info but we canadians care more about our wildlife than our families.

Is that why your country only has like 3 National Parks? Our government set aside almost 40% of the land to be preserved in the National and State Park/Forest/Monument system, and the U.S. has substantially less wilderness than Canada does.

Tulkas

Oct 25, 1999
CyberSax now why would it be pitiful to ski in buffalo???? Why because we have a foot of snow all year long????? Because Buffalo was having colder weather and better snow at the time???? Yea dont get me wrong canada is cold especially further north. But we do get hot weather and it isnt for just 1 month. Just beacuse snow falls 4 months in a year that makes it cold???? PLEASE... even NWT and the Yukon have 2 full months of warm weather. "More importantly, it strikes me as rather pathetic that people from a nation like Canada would come to the U.S. to go skiing" Ya just like yu guys coming here to gamble when u have the best place in the world to there..lol
O and as for the 3 national parks comment..lol what is that supposed to mean. I guess yu dont know that we have a provincal government too. And in Ontario we probably have more provincial conservation areas than yu have tanks. eh!

Kaiser__Sose

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
"Is that why your country only has like 3 National Parks? Our government set aside almost 40% of the land to be preserved in the National and State Park/Forest/Monument system, and the U.S. has substantially less wilderness than Canada does. "

why would canada need national parks when over 90% of the landmass is uninhabited.. it's like 90% park anyway.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
CyberSax/Delerius5:

Would you guys care to explain why you have entered a perfectly fun thread and crapped all over it with your ignorant, arrogant, ugly American attitudes?

Napalm

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< Canada's existence and identity depend upon the US >>

HAHAHAHAHA... boy are you wrong.

<< the whole world thinks of Canada as &quot;that country above america&quot; >>

No, YOU THINK, &quot;the whole world thinks of Canada as &quot;that country above america&quot;&quot;. Many people around the world think of Canada as one of the greatest places in the world to live.

<< If we were to cut off free trade with canada, canada would die. and since they have no military to speak of, they could never do anything about it. >>

You're right, Canada may not be able to do anything about it... but the rest of the world would help us, and then there would be nothing the US could do.

<< Think of canada as.... america's little brother >>

That will NEVER happen.

<< every canadian really wishes he/she could be an american >>

Thats the worst attempt at a joke I've ever seen. If you were trying to be serious, then you are one of the biggest idiots I've ever seen on this board.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Delerious: If the US did that, it would suffer just as badly. NErn states would have a shortage of electricity, housing construction material costs would skyrocket, there would be a shortage of oil and natural gas, and worst of all the US would turn into wimps as they no longer had some decent beer to drink! :) The fact is, that the US is as reliant on Canada as Canada is on the US!

That's all for now, I've gotta go fix my roof. Damn hot weather is melting holes in my igloo. :( :(