Can you exercise yourself into diabetes?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Serious question. A couple of days now, I've noticed if I really work out hard, I'll start getting the shakes. I took 2 weeks off (mostly due to Sandy) and returned to the gym yesterday and today.

Both times, I got the shakes really bad, almost to the point that I couldn't stand up without shaking noticeably. Drinking water did not stop it, and the drive home, I was still shaking, but not that bad.

When I eat something, the shakes seem to go away. I didn't eat much the last two days, not because I am dieting, but because I am not at work and not forced to eat lunch at my normal 1PM. I am at the gym at that time instead.

Any ideas? Can not eating enough before exercise cause shaking? I've also started really going harder on myself - usually working out for 1.5 hours instead of 1. I don't feel tired though.

What is funny though, after two weeks of skipping the treadmill, my legs feel solid. A good solid. Like I am running with wooden legs or something. :)

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I thought that was normal...

Is it? I never shook after working out before. I am asking for advice from the kids running the Y and they are pointing little things here and there out for me, so I've been working out harder.

I am super happy the colder weather is setting in. It's making it easier for me to deal with heavier exercising.

saratoga172

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2009
My body does this from time to time. Used to do it more before I realized how to deal with it.

What works for me is making sure I'm not hungry before I workout. My body is weird though because I can't eat much before doing any strenuous activity.

Try to eat something healthy that'll give you energy about 60-90 minutes before you go workout. Make sure it is something fairly light though. Almost snack size. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches about 30-45 minutes beforehand work wonders for me. Tuna sandwich about 60-90 minutes before if I'm doing a heavier workout.

You might even try a protein shake slightly before the workout. Just sounds like your body is looking for some energy at that point. Water won't help.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I don't think its diabetes, but your blood sugar is probably low from working out, and that coupled with the fatigue, can result in a weak, shaky feeling. Drink a protein shake or some Gatorade and try to eat more beforehand too.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
You're not going to exercise yourself into diabetes. But you can exercise your way to low blood sugar by not having eaten properly earlier. You don't have to be diabetic to encounter low blood sugar.

That's what is likely causing the shakes. It can be prevented by modifying what you eat, when you eat, or by not overexerting yourself-whatever the case may be.

Mar 22, 2002
The answer you're looking for is no. Exercise, in any form, is protective against diabetes. You are experiencing fatigue, electrolyte perturbations, dehydration, and too little fuel. The reason you feel better after you eat is because you don't have great energy stores (carbs, mobilizable fats). As you exercise more, this will get better and your body will become more efficient at using these resources.

By no means is this any where close to diabetes.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
The answer you're looking for is no. Exercise, in any form, is protective against diabetes. You are experiencing fatigue, electrolyte perturbations, dehydration, and too little fuel. The reason you feel better after you eat is because you don't have great energy stores (carbs, mobilizable fats). As you exercise more, this will get better and your body will become more efficient at using these resources.

By no means is this any where close to diabetes.

I'm going to make sure I eat something before I head out. I am pretty sure it's because I didn't have any energy.

It's a weird feeling, not being able to stop the shakes. I guess I should take it that I am pushing myself a little bit harder than usual. At least the burning feelings in my muscles have stopped, I think my body is getting used to working them now.

Mar 22, 2002
I'm going to make sure I eat something before I head out. I am pretty sure it's because I didn't have any energy.

It's a weird feeling, not being able to stop the shakes. I guess I should take it that I am pushing myself a little bit harder than usual. At least the burning feelings in my muscles have stopped, I think my body is getting used to working them now.

Don't eat directly before doing a cardio session because that can actually cause you to feel less well. Typically, you want to have your last meal be 2h or before something like running, swimming, cycling, whatever. If you have to eat directly prior to exercise, make it a smaller meal.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I tend to get them after a workout. It gets to the point I'm sweating and dizzy. usually candy or something with sugar will take care of it quickly.

josesinkler

Nov 8, 2012
According to me walking is the best exercise for those people who suffer from diabetes. Because my grandfather have same problem but after walking he controls on diabetes.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Opposite of diabetes. You simply don't have enough blood sugar available. More of a hypoglycemic episode than diabetes.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Food! Don't compromise. If you are the type that needs food for efficient and hard work outs, EAT! You can always cut your calories on your rest days.

Some people I know are very regulated and can keep a constant calorie per day and not affect their workout.

I am the type that I can eat 10,000 calories the day before a workout but if I only eat 500 calories on the day OF the workout, I will be tired as hell. My body doesn't regulate itself as well as other people.

So what I do is over-eat on my workout days and I feel strong and invincible working out, then I under-eat on my non workout days.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
No. The shaking is from your body pumping out lots of adrenaline and other hormones trying to keep your blood sugar within the normal range.

If you stop getting that after workouts, that is cause for worry.