Can you answer the question?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Because it's English, not American. Spanish, not Mexican. Get over yourselves.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Oiprocs

Personally, I'm all for making people learn the language .
I agree but they should start with native borns. First Oklahoma and then on to Louisiana, Alabama and the rest of the Deep South then move up to Minnesota and Wisconsin, head over to the the Bronx and finish up with South Boston. After that we can concentrate on the immigrants.

Thanks for the good laugh. I would go to Texas after Oklahoma! :D

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Also, why are we debating a shitty slogan? What's next: "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and STEVE: discuss"?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
People that speak english have assimilated. I wonder if anyone is really assimilated. It is not like we have this homogeneous culture where everyone is the same.

How come they dont ask if you speak Korean or Japanese?

The answer is that America is not so accomadating.

I guess this is racist if you only ask for English and Spanish.

Racist Racist Racist. Darn people from Mexico are racists against asians.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Oiprocs

Personally, I'm all for making people learn the language .
I agree but they should start with native borns. First Oklahoma and then on to Louisiana, Alabama and the rest of the Deep South then move up to Minnesota and Wisconsin, head over to the the Bronx and finish up with South Boston. After that we can concentrate on the immigrants.

Thanks for the good laugh. I would go to Texas after Oklahoma! :D

Can we also go after the people who call Washington State "Warshington?"

And also think how irritating it is to get someone on the phone who can barely speak English and try to explain to them a complex problem. Well it's just the reverse for some people and they'd like to be able to speak in the language that they are most fluent in.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: scott
For me the issue is that by setting up such extreme accomodation for Mexicans we create conditions that "draft" even more of them here.

If you doubt the term "extreme accomodation" then all that means is that you don't know the situation in California schools, which are being destroyed.

What part of Southern California do you live in? For every anecdotal piece of evidence you provide, I could provide the same counter point along with eskimospy who I believe lives in San Diego.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
For me the issue is that by setting up such extreme accomodation for Mexicans we create conditions that "draft" even more of them here.

If you doubt the term "extreme accomodation" then all that means is that you don't know the situation in California schools, which are being destroyed.
People not able to see the illegal immigration problem first hand brush this off as craziness, but I have seen it in Alabama and a person outside of the south or south western states may not believe it. There is a high-end school district in Birmingham which has become a haven for illegals and they pile into apartments but still get to go to the schools that $200-400k home owners are paying for. The tax base just is not there to accomodate the influx of more kids (not to mention that various laws force these schools to hire translators).

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Can you answer the question asked in the picture?

Why (when in the USA)?

YAUSXT: yet another US xenophobia thread.

What does images of John Wayne and the US flag have to do with more than one language being spoken in the US?

Other countries, Japan and European except France, do not have trouble with more than one language being spoken why is it a big thing here? Oh could it have something to do with xenophobia?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: cwjerome
I think it's because we're a salad bowl now. No, wait... a mosaic. Or something.
LOL!

Fondue perhaps?

The English/Spanish question doesn't piss me off nearly as much as being forced to talk to a machine for 30 minutes before a human being deems my call worthy of answering... but ya, I do think it's a bullsh*t question to start with.

However, the bottom line is the bottom line. There's no chance any company would ever miss out on the revenue opportunities provided by our growing Hispanic population...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

People not able to see the illegal immigration problem first hand brush this off as craziness, but I have seen it in Alabama and a person outside of the south or south western states may not believe it. There is a high-end school district in Birmingham which has become a haven for illegals and they pile into apartments but still get to go to the schools that $200-400k home owners are paying for. The tax base just is not there to accomodate the influx of more kids (not to mention that various laws force these schools to hire translators).

Maybe if employers paid a living wage these folks would probably be happy to move into nice houses and pay more in property taxes. If the wealthy folks don't want to pay to educate the children of the poor, maybe they should a) pay the poor better or b) stop hiring them.

California schools haven't been destroyed by immigrants; they were trashed by the cheapskate conservatives and greedy old people who voted for Prop 13.

What it comes down to is that wealthy folks want cheap labor and an apartheid type system where these nasty poor folks who build the McMansions, raise the children of the wealthy, and mow the lawns, and clean the houses all just go away when not needed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: glutenberg

What part of Southern California do you live in? For every anecdotal piece of evidence you provide, I could provide the same counter point along with eskimospy who I believe lives in San Diego.

Wait! You mean to say an eskimo pie lives in warm San Diego???

To answer your question, I'm in the Santa Barbara area.

People who post here but live where they don't have the Mexicanswarm problem in their face daily just don't understand. In California we are talking literally MILLIONS of illegal people rushing in to have their anchor baby & live off you.
And building your houses, growing your food, running your hotels, raising your children...

Cheap labor costs. Businesses are simply socializing the cost of labor and making a bundle doing it.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Not really a fair comparison.

dating back to the early 20th century with Germans and Italians in NY they worked to assimilate, to learn English, to melting pot themselves into the USA.

The Mexicans want to fly their flag above the US flag on City Hall.

What data do you have to support that Mexicans in general want to fly their flag above the US flag at City Hall or that they haven't assimilated just as well into American culture and learned the language just as well as Germans and Italians did 100 years ago? You do realize that even 100 years ago you couldn't go into parts of NY without having trouble communicating with Germans or Italians because they were speaking their languages, yes?

They want to preserve Mexican ethnic separatism, and do not want to assimilate.

Utter nonsense.

I want action to reduce illegal Mexican immigration.
I want to stop "rolling amnesty."

Go read up on Aztlan, a big movement on campuses here in California. After you study up on the Aztlan thing then we'll talk.

Please. And what percentage of the 12+ million illegals does Aztlan represent? A ridiculously small fraction.

People who post here but live where they don't have the Mexicanswarm problem in their face daily just don't understand. In California we are talking literally MILLIONS of illegal people rushing in to have their anchor baby & live off you.

I know the situation in California schools pretty well, having myself been born and raised in Los Angeles and having TA'ed for months in a primaryly-Hispanic East LA middle school. And I can tell you first hand that there is a big problem with illegal immigration. Thing is, that has nothing to do with official languages, Mexicans assimilating, Mexicans wanting to fly their flag above the US flag (all three of them), or whatever other anecdotes you want to come up with.

Fact is that the 12 million illegal immigrants in this country make up less than 4% of the population, their burden on social services is minimal while their overall net benefit is exceedingly positive, both in terms of stimulating the economy and enriching our own culture. That doesn't mean I don't want stricter enforcement of immigration; I think it's pretty sad how lax it has gotten. But what the illegal immigration nuts like Dobbs aren't sensitive enough to is these people's former homes (coming from a country that is extremely poor) as well as their overwhelmingly positive net benefit to the United States. It's ignored in favor of a canned line about "It's illegal, therefore it must be enforced", without hardly considering the nuances of that situation.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ironwing

Maybe if employers paid a living wage these folks would probably be happy to move into nice houses and pay more in property taxes. If the wealthy folks don't want to pay to educate the children of the poor, maybe they should a) pay the poor better or b) stop hiring them.

California schools haven't been destroyed by immigrants; they were trashed by the cheapskate conservatives and greedy old people who voted for Prop 13.

What it comes down to is that wealthy folks want cheap labor and an apartheid type system where these nasty poor folks who build the McMansions, raise the children of the wealthy, and mow the lawns, and clean the houses all just go away when not needed.

Well said.

Comanche

May 8, 2005
When it really comes down to it, what does it matter. By having two languages on the phone prompt business is able to meet the needs of those people who don't speak english very well.

Why be so self centered that no one else matters. This country is made up of a lot of people from other countries, and a lot of them came here with the disability of not being able to speak english. The second and third generations adapted. Spanish speakers will do the same.

This whole question has gone from a question of language to a condemnation of illegal immigrants. Way off base.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Remembering the helpfulness of people across Europe in nations where English is not the first language, it's embarrassing to contrast their hospitality to the attitude in the OP.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Wait! You mean to say an eskimo pie lives in warm San Diego???

To answer your question, I'm in the Santa Barbara area.

Yeap, I've lived in San Diego for almost 10 years now. I have no problem with the current immigration situation. This is just the latest boogeyman conjured up by xenophobic elements in the US to somehow explain social ills. It's been Germans, Italians, Irish, Chinese, etc.. in the past, and its Mexicans now.

So no, lots of people who witness it firsthand aren't xenophobes. In fact, most people I meet in the actual city of San Diego don't have a problem at all with the situation. It's the redneck suburbs where the majority of the anti immigrant crazies live.