Can you answer the question?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
You know, I wasn't born in America, but I don't think there should be a press 1 for English and press 2 for Spanish.

Is there a national language? No. Is there a language that EVERYBODY should know how to speak? You damn right there is.

Personally, I'm all for making people learn the language. They don't have to take in the culture, but if you can't communicate, that's a problem.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Oiprocs
You know, I wasn't born in America, but I don't think there should be a press 1 for English and press 2 for Spanish.

Is there a national language? No. Is there a language that EVERYBODY should know how to speak? You damn right there is.

Personally, I'm all for making people learn the language. They don't have to take in the culture, but if you can't communicate, that's a problem.

Why not? If there is a business demand - take advantage of it. If you can't speak English - don't expect to get very far economically in America (unless you already brought your money from over seas...)

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Because if you press 2 it will be in Spanish. C'mon John Wayne I though you died of cancer, not Alzheimers.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have decided that I can't be a real American like John Wane unless I piss on Mexicans. You know what it's like being frightened and insecure. You just feel a lot better when you piss on people.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Except that this has become the identity of much of American culture, embedded, if you will, into its consciousness. Different languages, culture, and the tolerance that naturally develops from that is a part of being an American for most people these days. It has been part of our culture dating back to the early 20th century with Germans and Italians in NY.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

:thumbsup:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: scott
Originally posted by: Sinsear

< cutout >
Because we don't have an official language. So we try and accommodate those that havn't assimilated.

One of our national strengths is the abulity to "universally" communicate.

Countries that are terribly fragmented with different languages, like India, or like Denmark now with the inflood of Moslems there, etc., suffer in many ways because if it.

Where I live, we go W - A - Y overboard on accomodating illegal aliens in every way, language being only one of them.

This nation has a de facto official language, English.

What about Switzerland? Hellhole?

Mexico has a dominant language, Heaven on Earth?

Press 1 and quit whining. Having a good source of Foreign Languages and Foreigners of all types is an opportunity.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Duhhhhhh.....

Capitalism. Competition. Catering. Whatever you want to call it. They (non-English speaking) have money to spend also, and I want it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Personally, I'm all for making people learn the language .
I agree but they should start with native borns. First Oklahoma and then on to Louisiana, Alabama and the rest of the Deep South then move up to Minnesota and Wisconsin, head over to the the Bronx and finish up with South Boston. After that we can concentrate on the immigrants.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Because people like to speak whatever language they feel like.

Also, a great many of you seem awfully confused on what an "Official Language" means. We have two of them here and it means you can get government services anywhere in both of them, however that doesn't mean that government agencies can't offer services in other languages (Toronto's public transit helpline is available in ~70 languages, 9-1-1 is available in ~150). As far as businesses go, I don't think there are any rules outside of Quebec.

What you people want is not an "official language", you just want to kill Spanish, two different things.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: scott
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

< cutout >
Except that this has become the identity of much of American culture, embedded, if you will, into its consciousness. Different languages, culture, and the tolerance that naturally develops from that is a part of being an American for most people these days. It has been part of our culture dating back to the early 20th century with Germans and Italians in NY.

Not really a fair comparison.

dating back to the early 20th century with Germans and Italians in NY they worked to assimilate, to learn English, to melting pot themselves into the USA.

The Mexicans want to fly their flag above the US flag on City Hall.

They want to preserve Mexican ethnic separatism, and do not want to assimilate.

I want action to reduce illegal Mexican immigration.
I want to stop "rolling amnesty."

Go read up on Aztlan, a big movement on campuses here in California. After you study up on the Aztlan thing then we'll talk.

Yeah, it's not like people weren't stupid and racist back in the old days like they are now.

Here's a great quote from Ben Franklin on the Germans and how much they wanted to assimilate: "Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion?"

Sound familiar? *sigh* all these threads show is that people never learn.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Duhhhhhh.....

Capitalism. Competition. Catering. Whatever you want to call it. They (non-English speaking) have money to spend also, and I want it.

ding.ding.ding.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Some want to have English as our 2nd language in Denmark, does that sound like a bad thing to you?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yes, I can answer the question. Anyone who asks it is a self-centered SOB who fails to understand the fact that not everyone in the world is there to serve their whims for convenience.

It's a xenophobic bit or reactionary nonsense, and also illustrates a lack of business awareness: businesses are there to make money by serving the needs of the market as it is, and that includes a lot of non-English speakers. They're whining.

All that is true even if you think we should take steps for English to be predominant and widespread - you can think that and still not feel theneed to go photoshopping John Wayne and the flag onto a whine that's simply a message of hate and intolerance, of 'mob mentality' about the 'others'.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
because America is a capitalist country.

and if corporations see a profit to be made by helping immigrants access their services and buy their goods, why shouldn't they open up a venue for non-english speakers to give them money?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I don't see this as a problem. I think all children (who were born here) of recent immigrants speak English. My parents are Chinese. Their English isn't so hot. I speak and think in English and my Chinese is practically non-existent. I have never met a child who was born here who didn't speak English.

It's not that they are unwilling to assimilate. Older people just have a harder time learning a new language. In addition, many of them have jobs that require long hours -- who wants to come home after a 12 hour shift to study a new language? Also, if you live in an area with a lot of Spanish speaking people and you don't know English, you're gonna speak Spanish.

When relatives come to my parents home to visit they speak Chinese. Are you saying that people should only speak English all the time?

It's the older people that will be speaking Spanish. Their children will be speaking English (or both). I don't see this as a problem.