Can we stop the nonsense?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Sometimes we just need to laugh. That Bushmailbox thread was some seriously funny stuff. I think it was political satire of the equal opportunity kind. It poked fun at just about all the key players. It's obviously done in good natured humor.

On another note, thanks to all of you for the good (IMO) advice. :)

Yup. Ben Laden: Open the attachment, I DARE YOU! :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
Curious Dave. What do you consider the mailbox thread to be? "same rhetoric" and "Bush bashing" or "This is funny, nice find Mark?"

Or all of the above?

I had not looked at it when I made the original comment. After seeing it of course it is funny but still can be in the one thread.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
How about ask for a sticky for a thread that folks can go to to let go and bash each other and whomever the object of discussion was before they started bashing each other. This would free up the other threads for 'normal' posting.
The forum tension has lessened a lot so today such a thread is not needed but, it could be someday. If something starts say "move it to the 'fire house' please". You may say that is what PM is for. True, but, folks often want others to see their comments and this would be a place IF it ever became necessary. A place those not inclined could avoid. Maybe for DM, a BashBushBin thread too..

SIGGY001

Aug 31, 2003
hello;
I just joined this forum today, as this website was highly recommended in other forums for its professional reviews, etc. Was hoping for some info on upgrading my mobo/cpu, and then ran across this post.
Without seeing ANY flaming in the couple hours I've being cruising posts, beginning to wonder if you guys are talking about that 1% of ppl that seem to have personal issues and/or are a bit too "thin-skinned" to frequent forums.
Holy cow guys, doesn't it seem a bit easier to just IGNORE the immature comments rather than getting all caught up in it?
Siggy

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SIGGY001
hello;
I just joined this forum today, as this website was highly recommended in other forums for its professional reviews, etc. Was hoping for some info on upgrading my mobo/cpu, and then ran across this post.
Without seeing ANY flaming in the couple hours I've being cruising posts, beginning to wonder if you guys are talking about that 1% of ppl that seem to have personal issues and/or are a bit too "thin-skinned" to frequent forums.
Holy cow guys, doesn't it seem a bit easier to just IGNORE the immature comments rather than getting all caught up in it?
Siggy

Welcome to the fray :D

It takes a bit of history to see why a thread such as this was needed. If you would have been around last weekend you would have seen the amount of crap that was being hurled. It is much better now, but still not perfect. I think that people have taken to trying to ignore rather than retaliate - which is great. There used to be active moderation of this forum by the "MODS" but in recent months it has basically ceased and so the personal attacks had become more frequent and brazen. I hope it has truly gotten better and not just been a lull in the fight.
But yes - it should be easier to ignore than join in;)

Again - welcome....but I just have one question.....
Do you lean left, right, or did you have your V8? :D

CkG

BTW - there are VERY helpful people here at Anandtech - just make sure your question goes in the right forum;) You'll know if you didn't:p

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Siggy, that would be easier said than done if human nature being what it is in the sand box. Even all grown up Dads at their son's ball game some times lose it... you know ... the child in them wants to tear the ump head off or gets upset cuz their boy was pulled so another not so good player could play.. "come on Johnny we're going home... they can find some one else to play left field" Politics is as good as Religion to get the blood boiling and when that happens all bets are off..

SIGGY001

Aug 31, 2003
Thanks for the welcome CAD, not sure about your comment (lean left, right),but if your talking about politics, I STAY THE H#LL OUTA THAT QUAGMIRE. (well....most of the time).

LunarRay, I think I get your point, well put mate. Its just that I have never stooped to that level, and pride myself on having good self control. Interesting posts regarding the USA / French relationship, it comes up even during on-line racing chat rooms that I frequent. Being from Canada, I think I will have to research this a bit.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Tabb
Platinum Member

08/15/2003 2:15 PM

The personall flames such as "Bush's Bitch's" and this thread here have taking P&N to a whole new level. If AT once to actually keep a half decent forum they do something about it. I think people really need 'vacations'.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=52&threadid=1115798&STARTPAGE=2

Page 2 please...
--------------------------------
Reply by a Mod:

I often see the same people who complain about the flames there participate in flaming themselves (like yourself). If we were to enforce the "No Flaming" rule half of those who participate would be on vacations.
------------------------------

I went in the Forum Issues area this morning because I have been bumped from the subscriber servers and the subscription server is down over a week now.

Anyway sorry Tabb, I got a laugh when I saw a Moderator's reply to your rant.

I believe that would be the definition of Powned???

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
CkG I agree with most everything you have brought up but the thing that is never going to change is that people use the Facts as they see it from the media outlet they choose that shows their opinion and then they expound on tainted "facts" and it goes down from there. I just for the most part have choosen to abstain from this forums as it makes OT look cheery.

We all need to take a look at things from both sides not just your own. Remember the government serves itself (regardless of who is in the driver seat) so go Vote and stop bitching.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well that didn't last long.

Back to the crap.

What a shame.

Moonie and bobdn and the others, I hope you are proud of how you destroyed the détente.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: etech

Back to the crap.

What a shame.

Moonie and bobdn and the others, I hope you are proud of how you destroyed the détente.

You know etech, I've tried to be civil with you, but I think it's just not in your nature accept other points of view, or that some people think differently than you. Ever since this thread was started, you have continued with some of your Ad Hominem type attacks on others, and given up several times without making much, if any, suggestion on how to make things better.

I've also noticed that you only see problems with the posters you don't agree with, and seem oblivious to the ones on the other side of the aisle that have continued with the attacks. I don't think I need to name names as that doesn't help us in making things better now. Before you accuse others here of "failing", maybe you should take a look at your posting habits as well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Back to the crap.

What a shame.

Ahem.
rolleye.gif

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
this is a great forum!

it has made off topic much more civil

all the cr@p gets posted here instead.

i kind of like mixing it up every now and then, and i'm guessing that
the rest of the posters in Politics and News feel the same way.

heck, if you really want get the blood flowing in the streets,
start a "Religion" forum!!!!!!

this forum serves a valid purpose by keeping inflamatory stuff to a minimum in the other forums. that's ok with me. i only come to P&N when i want to "vent" a little bit.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Back to the crap.

What a shame.

Oh no you dit-ent, etech.
rolleye.gif
Do we need Moonie to remind you that you're only destroying yourself?

todesengel

Banned
Mar 29, 2002
You guys are getting worked up over nothing. I have been reading here since the inception of this forum and I want to tell you, there really is no point to this place except for the entertainment value. In this cesspool, the most well thought out and highly articulated post is just as meaningless as the most outrageous lie.

Nothing said here is capable of changing the point of view of anyone. In my opinion, the lack of moderation makes this crap more interesting to read.

In sum total, the comments made in this forum would be much more useful if they were printed out. At least you could wipe your ass with them.

birrow

Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: Insane3D
We could also set up a graduated punishment system where after so many offenses, the poster can't visit the P & A forum indefinately.

As far as verification, I don't think that would work. If everyone knew who the mods were, then those members would get constant pm's and such. The system would work better, IMO, if it was anonymous.

I think these demi MOD's would or should simply be able to Lock a thread and post the why for. Then ask for assistance... but the rule must be just vile comments or way off topic stuff, like I sometimes post.. :(

John Galt has a right to his positions and even if he uses a descriptive analogy within his post it should be OK just as everyone else does... in some manner. I read his posts but, hardly ever respond and that is because I don't want to be lambasted by his sharp keystrokes...:) but, I support his right to post as he does.. You can ignore but, that is impossible sometimes when it is so sharp and directed at you.. or what you feel is untrue and you need to defend yourself... all understandable but, can't that stuff go PM after the first retort in kind?

Winston said it best... as far as rules go.. I think.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, seeing as they can't stop the partisan bickering in Washington, what makes you guys think we will be any more successful here?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Jmman
Well, seeing as they can't stop the partisan bickering in Washington, what makes you guys think we will be any more successful here?

So you are saying why bother? There is a big difference between Washington and here...some of us here are actually "trying" to stop all the patisan bickering...

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
My god, what a collection of friggin' whiners, the whole lot of youns!!!!!!!

:D:beer:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Jmman
Because if we figure out how to break out of the prison we can share this knowledge with the other slaves then revolt.

I'm currently having a conversation with the back wall. Not very talkative, this wall, but I'm searching for the keys to the door..

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
If you think about it, the bickering in Washington is face to face, and it seems as vitriolic as ever. When you add the anonymity of the internet to the mix, it seems to me to be "mission impossible" to have a political forum without the personal attacks. Don't get me wrong, it would be a nice thing. I just don't think it will ever happen......

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I rather expect CAD's reason for starting the thread has been realized. He, I don't think, expected a solution to result from this thread alone. I think he figured another 'Bitch Bin' thread could be used to allow folks to come together in a common objective and thereby resolve their own individual issues and become more civil toward each other. With few exceptions it has succeeded. The flames have diminished and folks who heretofor would lash out at first opportunity are a lot more tolerant or considerate.
Every twice in awhile another village 'person' pushes the right button but, on the whole there is a much better environment. Gee I miss reading the Flame wars.. Just kidding.. maybe :D