Can we start a class action suit against Comcast? ATOT Lawyers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I can say "I followed your advice and got my own modem"...

just remember...

if your modem breaks... and it will... or comcast upgrades their network... and they are.... and your modem no longer works...

their response will be..

Too Fucking Bad.

See... one of the bonuses of renting a modem from comcast... i can bring my modem in DAILY and swap it for a new one... no questions asked.

They provide the modem... they replace it... no charge.

but.. when you buy your own...

you have to replace it yourself.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
just remember...

if your modem breaks... and it will... or comcast upgrades their network... and they are.... and your modem no longer works...

their response will be..

Too Fucking Bad.

See... one of the bonuses of renting a modem from comcast... i can bring my modem in DAILY and swap it for a new one... no questions asked.

Yep. I pay the $5 a month because I'm too lazy to research & buy one, and because I don't have to worry about it if it breaks. :p

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
just remember...

their response will be..

Too Fucking Bad.

but see you are still paying 60 bucks per year just to rent one.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
but see you are still paying 60 bucks per year just to rent one.

and once every 6 months or so, i bring my modem down, and swap it for a new one.

I currently have an Arris VOIP modem, with battery backup... i have seen these retail for ... well... i haven't seen them retail..

but.. ebay has 'em for $50 or so... with the battery backup going for $40 or so... so a $90 modem via Ebay ... brand new from comcast...

yea... worth the $60/year.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I pay extra a month to rent a modem... and I did so with Roadrunner too.

I thought this "complaint" was going to be about something worthwhile, like how my Internet goes to shit randomly where it just stops working for 1-10 seconds potentially knocking me off my nerdy doesn't-get-laid games.

I miss Roadrunner :(.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
and once every 6 months or so, i bring my modem down, and swap it for a new one.

I currently have an Arris VOIP modem, with battery backup... i have seen these retail for ... well... i haven't seen them retail..

but.. ebay has 'em for $50 or so... with the battery backup going for $40 or so... so a $90 modem via Ebay ... brand new from comcast...

whatever floats your boat i guess...

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
whatever floats your boat i guess...

hey... you wanna pay $250 for a modem thats gonna be obsolete in a year, with no support or product replacement when the provider you choose no longer supports it.... more power to you...

whatever floats your boat.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
You used to be able to buy them at Best Buy. Not really a good deal to provide your own, IMO.

Meh not true. I got mine for about 20 bucks after MIR about 5+ years ago. 5+ years * $3.00 / month (in my area its 3) comes out to $180.00 In the OPs case, it's $300.00

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

every 6 months really? i still have the same Moto Surfboard that TWC gave me 9 years ago when they installed cable

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
every 6 months really? i still have the same Moto Surfboard that TWC gave me 9 years ago when they installed cable

Maybe guyver01 doesn't understand that you're not supposed to bathe with your cable modem :D

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
hey... you wanna pay $250 for a modem thats gonna be obsolete in a year, with no support or product replacement when the provider you choose no longer supports it.... more power to you...

whatever floats your boat.

Where do you get $250 from? Maybe thats what comcast would charge you; but even a top of the line 160 Mbps Downstream, up to 120 Mbps Upstream DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem goes for less then $90 at newegg.com

Many cable modems can be had for $50 range new without rebates. Hell buy a new one every year and still save money.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Charter sells self install cable modem kits at Wally World. They include a Motorola modem. Since you own the cable modem, you only pay for the service.

Kit is $49, I believe.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
SSSnail(Mon Jun 14 2010 19:20:32 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time))>

that's like a gas station advertised $3/gallon for gas

SSSnail(Mon Jun 14 2010 19:20:43 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time))>

then charge you $1 to use the hose to fill your car up

No, its like expecting the gas station to provide you a free engine for your car. You are paying for the magic smoke inside the lines, it's your responsibility to decode it.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
If they didn't charge you for the modem then your service would have been $24.99 to begin with. Get over it.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Comcast stopped charging me the modem rental after 24 months. I asked them about it, and they said it was cause I pay my bills on time every month and I have been with them 2 years. I asked if I was still aloud to change it out if they upgraded, and they said yes.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I bought a DOCSIS 2.0 motorola cable modem in 2003 for 59.99 from CompUSA. I am still using it today. It even fell down in the sump pump one night when I was messing around with cabling.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I have no complaints as far as Comcast.
I've had great internet service for over 4 years and can't remember the last time it died on me for any length of time. I leased a modem from them at first and now they don't even charge me for it. It is a Docsis 2 Motorola and works perfectly.
My speeds are 16mb down, 2mb up and rock solid.

As for OP, if you're that upset ..... get another service provider. Treating a CS person that way is childish. Most of them are good people who actually try to help you.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I am not reading all that......

I just skimmed it....

So, you got 19.99 internet, but you have no modem. Modem rental is not included in that price.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
You sound like kind of an ass, and yes you can buy your own modem.
I got my last one off Craigslist cheap.
You made the point to her that $19.99 was for the SERVICE.
The SERVICE does not include HARDWARE, it's a SERVICE.
They should be more clear however, and I'm no fan of Comcast, but treating a rep like that makes me dislike you more than I do Comcast.

THIS

so now what the Electric companies should give you your light bulbs and Electric ovens and Air conditioners and laptops and PCs, because OMG what are they thinking, electricity is useless without these things. RIGHT?

Get your own modem and spare us with your stupidity. Although I do agree that it should have been stated in the advertisement

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I've yet to buy a modem. I've always been able to find a promotion where they include one for free. Last time, it was thru Circuit City and after I had a problem with my service, the Comcast tech switched out my Motorola Surfboard with a new Docsis 3.0 modem for free.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
kinda sorta like dialup companies offering UNLIMITED service but in reality you could only connect for a certain amount of time per month. before DSL came to my area i had to use Dialup and the company i was with killed my service because i was connected for too long. I work from home sometimes and was connected to their modems for 30 hours in one month. I called them up and asked them why i cant connect and the CSR said i exceeded my limit. I argued till i was blue in the face that on their website it says in black and white "UNLIMITED SERVICE" and that is what i was paying for not the other plans they had where there was a MB limit plan.... they wouldn't budge so i switched to wild blue satellite, that was ok but when DSL was finally dropped in my town i was a happy man.