Can we get a thread for sci-fi movies please?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
Read the first trilogy
When I was in college i took a Modern Science Fiction literature class. It was meant as an elective for those majoring in English, but the teacher was inspired by how much I had read, etc. We had something like 18 books to read during that course and I had already read thirteen of them. I read three and chose not to read Dune because I had seen the movie. Well, he knew many students over the years would pull that stunt and so he asked a question on the final about Salusa Secundus. Well, this is in the book, but not the movie. I laughed when i went to pick up my final after the end of the semester and he laughed back when I admitted to not haven read the book. I then spent the summer reading it and the many that followed it. I think I stopped after five books. It was bad enough the Foundation Trilogy was something like 13 books I didn't need to go down another worm hole (pun intended).

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Here's a pretty good list:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5619137/25-classic-science-fiction-movies-that-everybody-must-watch

And here are the ones I think are most noteworthy:

• The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951, dir. Robert Wise)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956, dir. Fred M. Wilcox)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
  • Solaris (1972, dir. Andrei Tarkovsky)
  • The Lathe of Heaven (1980, dir. David Loxton and Fred Barzyk)
  • The Matrix (1999, dir. the Wachowskis)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
When I was in college i took a Modern Science Fiction literature class. It was meant as an elective for those majoring in English, but the teacher was inspired by how much I had read, etc. We had something like 18 books to read during that course and I had already read thirteen of them. I read three and chose not to read Dune because I had seen the movie. Well, he knew many students over the years would pull that stunt and so he asked a question on the final about Salusa Secundus. Well, this is in the book, but not the movie. I laughed when i went to pick up my final after the end of the semester and he laughed back when I admitted to not haven read the book. I then spent the summer reading it and the many that followed it. I think I stopped after five books. It was bad enough the Foundation Trilogy was something like 13 books I didn't need to go down another worm hole (pun intended).

Foundation trilogy refers to only the first three books :awe: Same thing applies to Dune. I don't recommend reading the whole saga, especially if they were not written by the creator.

I also took a similar class calles science fiction and fantasy. We even had a Tolkien scholar come in to give a lecture.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Space Truckers - only because it has

5019254205_d164f0ea86_z.jpg

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Here's a pretty good list:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5619137/25-classic-science-fiction-movies-that-everybody-must-watch

And here are the ones I think are most noteworthy:

• The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951, dir. Robert Wise)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956, dir. Fred M. Wilcox)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
  • Solaris (1972, dir. Andrei Tarkovsky)
  • The Lathe of Heaven (1980, dir. David Loxton and Fred Barzyk)
  • The Matrix (1999, dir. the Wachowskis)
Decent list, the plot of "forbidden planet" was very well thought up, a machine that turns thought into instant reality, too bad they forgot they forgot the subconscious mind that exists in all of us.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I LOVE sci-fi movies. My favorite by far. Including zombie movies. Let's make some suggestions in this thread. I'll start:

Moon. 2009. Solitary guy on a moon base expects to be coming back to earth soon to see his wife and kids, but he finds out all is not as it seems.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Yeah nah, Moon was boring as!. I want my Sci-Fi movies to at least entertain, such as Guardians of the Galaxy or 5th Element.
Moon might as well of been on a holiday island for all the Sci-Fi context it had IMHO.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
The Matrix, of course.
Star Wars
Alien, and Aliens
Inception (if that's scifi)
Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
12 Monkeys
Terminator 1 and 2
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Arrival
Independence Day
Primer
Back to the Future
Serenity
Pitch Black
Cloverfield (Is this Scifi or horror?)
Watchmen (is this Scifi?)
I am Legend (This is more Horror)
Chronicles of Riddick
Dredd
Guardians of the Galaxy

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Matrix, of course.
Star Wars
Alien, and Aliens
Inception (if that's scifi)
Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
12 Monkeys
Terminator 1 and 2
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Arrival
Independence Day
Primer
Back to the Future
Serenity
Pitch Black
Cloverfield (Is this Scifi or horror?)
Watchmen (is this Scifi?)
I am Legend (This is more Horror)
Chronicles of Riddick
Dredd
Guardians of the Galaxy

I would add Total Recall (original)
Bladerunner (original)
Minority Report
Event Horizon
Dark City
Contact
The Fifth Element
Gattaca
Children of Men
Brazil

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Nope because someone is going to talk about a book a well regarded Sci-Fi (or even a so flawed it's sort of good Sci-fi) movie is based on then some asshat will declare a crusade against all book talk....

farking arseholes....

_________

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
By the way DigDog listed Dune. There are so, so many people that hate that movie. But I loved it. I've must have watched in 100 times. Something about the music. And the silence in the movie, where you can hear their thoughts. Just a cool feeling movie (that, I agree, didn't make sense at times - like the heart plugs).

Read the first trilogy and watch the mini-series that the sci-fi channel (IIRC) made around the year 2000. After those two, I couldn't watch the movie any more; the only thing it has going for it is the casting and perhaps costumes.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks so much guys! Makes me sad that I've seen so many of the sci fi movies out there. In another forum there was a thread on horrer movies, and i had only seen a small fraction. Just not enough sci fi out there. Still, I've got some movies to view based on your suggestions. Thanks!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
One that I frequently see overlooked (only made 1 of the lists link in this thread I believe) and that I just watched again yesterday is Colossus The Forbin Project.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I would love to see "A Boy and His Dog" and "Logan's Run" get remade with modern effects.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
My number one would be The Matrix followed by The Terminator. Independence Day is good and so is I am Legend. 12 Monkeys was waaaaay weird for my taste, although interesting. The Alien movies of course rank up there. Those are simply classics. Bladerunner and Running Man are good.

I have always loved the N64 game Perfect Dark and I thought that could make an awesome movie. The story line is great!

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
No love for Close Encounters of The Third Kind? That must have been the very first Sci-Fi movie I have ever seen. After that, Batteries Not Included.

Far as "zombie Sci-Fi." The Resident Evil movies are pretty good. I still have one more to watch.

Forgot to mention The Time Machine. The 1960's classic. That fascinated the hell out of me. Journey To The Center Of The Earth and Around the World in 80 Days is good too. I have yet to see Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Last edited: