Can someone shed some light between these CPUs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just got everything ordered and it turned out to be even less than originally thought. The cart was still calculating my free gifts into the total and didn't calculate the items on sale until the sale was made final. After speaking to one of their reps, they said they are working to fix the issue of the cart not displaying the proper finalized price before submitting the order.

I really appreciate all the responses. I never would have thought about going with a Ryzen build until I made this thread, so I'm really glad I did.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Congrats! Hope you really enjoy it. Let us know how everything goes and if you need any help.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
As your own posting history shows you have never stand behind anything with the name AMD on it.

And yet I've been called an AMD fanboy on this very forum. How do you reconcile that?

Anyway, it's obvious the OP isn't building a system for his mother.

Trolling is not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Geforce man

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2004
Hardly an infallible benchmark, but this would disagree with you

However considering OP already has a Z170 board I would consider how ethical waiting for Coffee Lake is. It's always a possibility. The current i7's are still damn good gaming processors though.

If i'm understanding that horrifically done video correctly, from reading the description that's posted on you-tube with the video, the 3770k is @ stock speeds. So a 600Mhz bump would easily put it on pace or ahead of the ryzen in that case with all of those games, except possibly BF1. Ugh, and he was possibly using ddr3 1333Mhz? Jebus.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Remember, with Conroe there was only 9 months between the first hints of a new architecture (Oct 2005) and release (July 2006).

Conroe wasnt a new arch.

It was the mobile P3 line arch they brought for desktops because they realized it was so much better then the failed netburst arch which prescotts were on.

The Dolthan P3 is the true father of Conroe.

So they rolled back the P4 netburst arch, over to the mobile P3 arch, made it a desk top version and called it the ever glorified E6000 series. This CPU overclocked like crazy and was super fast because it allowing a starved cpu to have all the voltage it could drink, and all the beefier mosfets for that voltage to be delivered to a "starved mobile" cpu.

To be honest i dont think intel is going to be as agressive anymore because they realized they are hurting the market. They also shown interest in IOP and Storage, so we may end up seeing more activity there then the CPU segment until they realize that AMD has once again netted a performance advantage.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well this sucks. Everything should be here Tuesday except the case, which should arrive Friday...

The silver lining is that I won't have to worry about getting off work early just to complete the build and/or stress test the system. I'd rather have the whole system at 100% before giving it to her since they live out in the middle of nowhere. I'll give an update once all the parts arrive. Maybe even some pictures if things go well.

Again, a huge thanks to everyone in this thread.

Last edited:

UglyDuckling

May 6, 2015
Hardly an infallible benchmark, but this would disagree with you

However considering OP already has a Z170 board I would consider how ethical waiting for Coffee Lake is. It's always a possibility. The current i7's are still damn good gaming processors though.

Oh some random mock up of benchmarks by 1 person that are not tested against others, and you run the conclusion that this is the be all end all result?

LOL

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Oh some random mock up of benchmarks by 1 person that are not tested against others, and you run the conclusion that this is the be all end all result?

LOL

Sorry you appear to have misunderstood my post;

Hardly - used to qualify a statement by saying that it is true to an insignificant degree
Infallable - incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.

Whereas on the other hand
Be all and end all - something or someone who is considered to be a perfect specimen or the best and most desired.

Good luck in picking future fights on the internet, have a good day.

UglyDuckling

May 6, 2015
Sorry you appear to have misunderstood my post;

Hardly - used to qualify a statement by saying that it is true to an insignificant degree
Infallable - incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.

Whereas on the other hand
Be all and end all - something or someone who is considered to be a perfect specimen or the best and most desired.

Good luck in picking future fights on the internet, have a good day.

No you see this as a fight because that's your narrow view point.

It's ok, we have all been there at some point.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Conroe wasnt a new arch.

It was the mobile P3 line arch they brought for desktops because they realized it was so much better then the failed netburst arch which prescotts were on.

The Dolthan P3 is the true father of Conroe.

True, but Dothan wasnt that fast:

3274.png

It didnt utterly spank Athlon 64 in IPC. Neither did Yonah.

10345.png

It wasnt until Conroe that these massive IPC gains manifested themselves.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ahhh i see you weren't arround when they put these chips on desktop boards using adapters and overclocked them.

i wish XS still had those posts:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?47052-Dothan-overclocking-thread
Most of the screenies are gone, but they were spanking everything left and right on the socket 479 adapter overclocked.

Basically something simular to this:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/CT-479/

adapterpic1.jpg

And they were wickedly fast overclocked.
It gave my Opty 185 a hellish beating in superpi...

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Everything is built but now there's some issues...

Can't connect to the Internet - something about my Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. Also, the GPU fans aren't spinning, but the display adapters work just fine. I need the Internet to test out the GPU and according to the device manager, the GPU is working just fine.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Modern videocards usually don't spin their fans until a certain threshold. It varies from card to card, this is so that you have a silent card for web browsing and only deal with the noise under load (gaming, etc).

Can you get connectivity if you set a valid static IP address + gateway? Have you installed the ethernet driver, in case windows doesn't automatically?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've tried setting a static IP, but no luck. I've tried resetting the NIC and pretty much everything else I could find when I googled the issue.

I have two ethernet cables connected to my modem. My PC can connect just fine (typing on it now), but the new one can't connect. It's not the cable because I unplugged it from my PS3 to use it on my PC and we were streaming Netflix off my PS3 when I disconnected the cable.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Sorry for the late update, but I had to order a new monitor. Her monitor was so outdated that my only option was to find a VGA to DVI-D adapter and nobody in my town carried those and that seemed to be the only adapter that I don't have on-hand. Got a new 144hz 1080 monitor from Acer (she said 1440 makes everything too small) and it works great. Had some issues while transferring the PC over to her house and it seemed it was just one thing after another, but she's up and running and has been playing Fallout 4 since she got off work four hours ago.

I am a bit disappointed with the performance she's getting from FO4 at 1080 - I had to disable Ambient Occlusion just to maintain a stable framerate whereas my PC has been able to run the game completely maxed out at 1440 with no issues at all (though my system is heavily overclocked). Witcher 3 also ran perfect completely maxed out (CDPR knows how to optimize a game).

Again, a huge thanks to everyone here.

Reactions: richierich1212

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Sorry for the late update, but I had to order a new monitor. Her monitor was so outdated that my only option was to find a VGA to DVI-D adapter and nobody in my town carried those and that seemed to be the only adapter that I don't have on-hand. Got a new 144hz 1080 monitor from Acer (she said 1440 makes everything too small) and it works great. Had some issues while transferring the PC over to her house and it seemed it was just one thing after another, but she's up and running and has been playing Fallout 4 since she got off work four hours ago.

I am a bit disappointed with the performance she's getting from FO4 at 1080 - I had to disable Ambient Occlusion just to maintain a stable framerate whereas my PC has been able to run the game completely maxed out at 1440 with no issues at all (though my system is heavily overclocked). Witcher 3 also ran perfect completely maxed out (CDPR knows how to optimize a game).

Again, a huge thanks to everyone here.

FO4 is optimization nightmare. A majority of it's engine is 20-25 years old. You would think that it would run buttery smooth, but know that they just start stapling new features to the engine, upped the models, threw larger textures at the game, grew the map size extremely. It acts like it's a single thread only game but then at times it would stutter on a 4c8t i7 when Level 1 did a "fluidity test" something the Ryzen's didn't have problem with. Basically FO4 is impossible to get running smoothly, the engine is part duct tape and part magic, and gleaming anything useful from how it is running is a fool's errand.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
FO4 runs like a dream on my 1800x, even at stock settings (with DDR4-2133) and a Powercolor 390 (1010/1500). Granted I am only running 1600x1200, but that isn't much less than 1920x1080 (1.92 mil pixels vs 2.0736 mil pixels). I had to do a few tweaks to get it running properly though. Most of what you need to do can be accomplished via a standalone mod/executable called Fallout 4 Configuration Tool. Make sure to set the threads to 8 (or more), disable God Rays unless you're using an NV card (and even then, maybe) and um . . . well most of what I had to do was centered around getting 1600x1200 to work since it's an unsupported resolution. Also setting proper vsync was a chore.

Now it's humming along quite nicely @ 60 fps without much noticeable input lag.

Reactions: coffeemonster