Can I put my big knife in my checked luggage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: edro13
Originally posted by: Rufio
don't be a wuss and fight with your fists.

Criminals don't fight fair... why should I? I also carry a knife around with me, and have since elementary (I went to a redneck school).

And yes, I take my knofe with me Everywhere. You can put it in your luggage.

I carry a 3" knife, too, however I do not harbor the belief that I could kill anyone with it, let alone easily. It's good for utility. I'd be an idiot to pull it on someone.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: edro13
Originally posted by: Rufio
don't be a wuss and fight with your fists.
Criminals don't fight fair... why should I? I also carry a knife around with me, and have since elementary (I went to a redneck school).

werd! (used to live in a ghetto neighborhood).

i carry a leatherman all the time - very useful for fixing pcs, and surprising some unlucky mofo who might attempt to mug me.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Can I put my big knife in my checked luggage?
Make sure you say the word "bomb" a bunch of times after your board as well. That, coupled with the knife in the bag thing will get lots of laughs, I promise

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Yes, Mallow is quite full of it.

Knives, firearms, and other non-explosive weapons are allowed in your checked baggage.

Y'all ever heard of 9/11? In houston you get detained for having nail clippers in your luggage sometimes! You people been on a plane in the last 6 months? Things have changed. One guy tried to take an ice pick in his luggage, got detained and fined. You take a knife in your luggage and you will regret it.

Possibly the boarding rules are different from city to city or state to state but in Texas airports you won't last long.

mss242

Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Mallow

Knives, firearms, and other non-explosive weapons are allowed in your checked baggage.

Y'all ever heard of 9/11? In houston you get detained for having nail clippers in your luggage sometimes! You people been on a plane in the last 6 months? Things have changed. One guy tried to take an ice pick in his luggage, got detained and fined. You take a knife in your luggage and you will regret it.

Possibly the boarding rules are different from city to city or state to state but in Texas airports you won't last long.

Those events occurred with carry-on baggage. He is asking about checked luggage.

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
I wouldn't want to get into all the trouble. If I were you, I would mail it to myself at the hotel or something...but since your plane leaves soon, you probably will have to go without it for a few days.

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall Yes, Mallow is quite full of it. Knives, firearms, and other non-explosive weapons are allowed in your checked baggage.
Y'all ever heard of 9/11? In houston you get detained for having nail clippers in your luggage sometimes! You people been on a plane in the last 6 months? Things have changed. One guy tried to take an ice pick in his luggage, got detained and fined. You take a knife in your luggage and you will regret it. Possibly the boarding rules are different from city to city or state to state but in Texas airports you won't last long.

There is a **HUGE** difference between carry-on luggage and checked luggage, and MANY of the posts before yours described those differences in detail. I can guarantee you that nobody has been detained for having nail clippers in their checked baggage.

Apr 5, 2000

I've flown several times since 9/11. I live in DFW, and DFW is the 2nd largest airport in terms of volume in the U.S. Carry on != checked luggage. I've taken my knife and nail clipper with me on all those flights. Not on my carry on but on my check in luggage. Perfectly legal.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

You never heard of the difference between checked and carry-on luggage?
Just to clarify: carry-on is what you carry with you on to the plane and past the security area. Checked is what you check in at the front ticket counter and the baggage handlers put inside the plane.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002

This is not carry on luggage he is talking about. This is virtually the same as FedEx shipping you your crappy swords from the Home Shopping Network.

I think it's funny that people carry knives for protection. Not such a bad idea though.

Edge17

Dec 28, 2000
I thought carrying anything larger than a box cutter in public is considered a concealed weapon unless its in plain view?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

What part of "checked luggage" do you not understand???

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Yup, you can bring all manners of dangerous goods in your checked baggage.
Anything combustible, pressurized, or explosive is prohibited though, and you must declare all firearms.

I've brought knives, swords, etc. from overseas plenty of times.

Swords, heh, why?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: idNut
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Yup, you can bring all manners of dangerous goods in your checked baggage.
Anything combustible, pressurized, or explosive is prohibited though, and you must declare all firearms.

I've brought knives, swords, etc. from overseas plenty of times.

Swords, heh, why?
Maybe he went to Japan to learn swordsmithing from a master and took home his creation?