Can i add new ram in my older system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Can you post specs directly off the label from a DIMM?

BTW, you don't HAVE to add three DIMMs. Your MB supports a 4 DIMM dual channel configuration.

Last edited:

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
next week i'm going to buy 6 X 4gb modules total 24 gb ram.
6 X G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)
just only problem is will they run triple channel mode or single thats something i don't know? OR any other better option

@Blain
My Current Ram
GSKILL 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI Specs
Im going to remove my current ram add all new ram

My Current Motherboard's Specs
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) Specs

Last edited:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
:colbert: Let me save you some time and trouble...

Buy 1 of These and 1 of These = Bingo... 24GBs of matching memory running in triple channel mode for $94 shipped to your door.
You won't have to worry with 100% DIMM slot population, compatibility or cash-flow problems.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
:colbert: Let me save you some time and trouble...

Buy 1 of These and 1 of These = Bingo... 24GBs of matching memory running in triple channel mode for $94 shipped to your door.
You won't have to worry with 100% DIMM slot population, compatibility or cash-flow problems.

X58 doesn't support 8GB DIMMS.

Keromyaou

Sep 14, 2012
From Corsair site, this memory module is designated to be compatible with your motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145350

This is for 24GB Hexa channel mode for $130. I am pretty sure this will work for 12GB Triple channel mode as well. If I were in your shoe, I would do this way.

Just in case you should check out Corsair site yourself. There are still plenty of memory available for your motherboard.

I myself upgrade my memory for my old rig with Core i7 980x/Asus Rampage III recently with Corsair's memory module which I bought cheaply from Amazon.com. X58 motherboard is not that old yet.

I checked out G.Skill site for memory finder. Their memory finder doesn't even carry your motherboard any more. So if you are going to buy G.Skill memory based on some theoretical analysis, it might work but not for sure. I wouldn't risk buying memories which I am not 100% sure work.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
Most X58 boards work fine with 8gb dimms the reason it's only spec'd to work with 24gb max is when the spec for x58 was made there were no 8gb dimms. I've got 24gb in my system using 6x4gb but it can be done with 3 x 8gb as well.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
No triple channel memory available in shop where i live so only option is to buy six same but single sticks but can someone tell me will 6 X G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) run in single channel mode or triple channel mode plz frnds.& is there any performance difference between single channel & triple channel in real world or not

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Download the pdf manual for your MB from Gigabyte, it will tell what you need to know.
It will take you about 5 minutes to find and download it, assuming you have a fair cable or DSL connection.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
Download the pdf manual for your MB from Gigabyte, it will tell what you need to know.
It will take you about 5 minutes to find and download it, assuming you have a fair cable or DSL connection.
thanks mate i should have done this b4 i started this thread it would save us from lots of confusion.
unless i mistaken it looks like my motherboard support both dual & triple channel mode.as shown in manual
RAM.jpg

so i'll buy 3 same dual channel kit (2 X 4GB) to occupy all slot, so rams will work in dual channel mode.i have no intention of OC so there is no need to go for 2000MHz ram. Since performance gain is not that significant ? so which dual channel ram i should buy? gskill ripjaws & corsair vengenes which one is better?

Last edited:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
:\ Enough with the large colored font already! Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.
so i'll buy 3 same dual channel kit (2 X 4GB) to occupy all slot, so rams will work in dual channel mode.

so which dual channel ram i should buy?
gskill ripjaws & corsair vengenes which one is better?
Wrong... If you populate all the slots with matching DIMMs, they will operate in "triple channel", not "dual channel" mode.

See my guide for tracking down quality memory...
If I were shopping for high quality memory, I would use the following parameters as a guide...

* DDR3 rated at 1.5v or lower
* DDR3 rated at the lowest CAS I could afford
* DDR3 rated at the highest clock speed I could afford
* Limit the scope of my purchease to G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair XMS or Crucial (non-Ballistix)

While not wavering on the voltage point, I would balance the other issues with my budget.

Remember, my goal is not pure "benchmarking" performance, but simply finding the highest quality memory I can afford. ^_^
The only reason I pay a premium for low latency, high speed, low voltage memory is...
Quality and quality alone.
1.5v is the JEDEC DDR3 voltage standard.
Stay with 1.5v or less if you can afford it..

* At This Moment in history, I would buy 3 of These Kits.
They offer a good balance of speed, CAS, voltage and price. At $75 shipped, it's hard to go wrong.

Last edited:

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
:\ Enough with the large colored font already! Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.
Wrong... If you populate all the slots with matching DIMMs, they will operate in "triple channel", not "dual channel" mode.

See my guide for tracking down quality memory...

* At This Moment in history, I would buy 3 of These Kits.
They offer a good balance of speed, CAS, voltage and price. At $75 shipped, it's hard to go wrong.
Thanks for help frnd, ok i'll buy G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. after buying which application i should use? after googling alot it looks like Memtest86+ is a descent App but i never tried b4 so tell me one thing which tests i should run & for how many hours & how to diagnose if memory is faulty or not.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Googling would also have told you not all reported Memtest errors are due to defective memory.
Don't obsess with burning-in or benchmarking. Just fire up your "Rendering & composition" programs and go to town.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
thanks everyone for valuable help
Today i bought 4 gigs 6 modules since G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL was unavailable he told me G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL is better than ripjaws 8gbrl so i bought 6 kit

RAM-1.jpg

everything looks & works fine. but dram frequency is 539.8 MHz not 1600 Why is that?

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
what i want to ask is dram runs at 539.8 MHz not at 1600Mhz as shown in screenshots do i need to enable something in bios to make them run at 1600 MHz