Can a herniated disc heal on its own over time?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
There is no "HEALING" of a ruptured disc until a report from last year or so came out detailed in my earlier above post.

They can remove the disc or add to it but because it is compressed it will bend the nerve making it very raw all the time and as if something snapped because it has extra wiggle room now since that disc is compressed. Once they get this new invention out then your disc issue and anyone elses will be be like new condition again.

link to report?

LukeEdAllen

Oct 8, 2014
What your saying is wrong inachu, there is evidence, on this topic alone of people 'healing' and making full recoveries from herniated discs they have had!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I had a herniated disc when I was 22. I ended up seeing a doc who gave me a handful of pain pills/muscle relaxers....sent me to PT. PT showed me stretches, told me to sleep on my chest with a pillow under my chest to help keep my spine in line....then did the electric simulation stuff and ultrasound treatments to help heal the inflamed tissue faster.

It took me about 4-5 weeks, but it eventually started getting better. I just kept moving. My back is still not 100% (12 years later). It gets tired easily makes me move slow sometimes, but for the most part, I'm ok with it....I know I'm human now. The key to a good back is to take care of it (lift with knees), keep your weight down, and stretch it often by simply walking around. Not moving is the worst thing you can do... As far as surgery being the answer, it's hard to say.

Doctors want you to take pills, PT wants you to stretch, surgeons want to operate.... Advice you get on the best treatment will vary depending on who you talk to. You have to decide how bad you think it feels after trying the less intrusive treatments and work up. Just know the body CAN heal itself if given the right opportunity. I'm not a fan of pain pills or long term use of muscle relaxers....but reducing inflammation is the key to giving your back an opportunity to return to its natural position.

Keep in mind, a herniated disc is not a ruptured disc.... If it's ruptured, you'll likely want to look at the surgery route, according to what I've read/heard from others.

ScottyG

May 7, 2015
Symptomatic disc herniations rarely heal on their own to the extent that you won't be in pain. Injection and surgery aren't your only options. Physical therapy is valid and works wonders - it's probably the closest to letting it heal on its own. PT will not only treat the pain (via massage, electric stimulation, etc), it will also treat things that contributed to the disc herniation (range of motion limitations, sub-optimal motor programs, strength issues, core control, etc). I've treated a ton of people with sciatica caused by lumbar spine issues and I've had a lot of luck. I'd say every one of my patients experienced some form of relief - most had full alleviation within 4-6 weeks. It's cheaper for both you and insurance to try that first. It should definitely help you 1) understand your condition better, 2) empower you to know what you can do to help it, 3) know when not to push it. Any healing that would've happened spontaneously likely would've happened by now. PT isn't voodoo like some people think - the way your spine is positioned and moves literally changes the mechanical positions and therefore pressures on your spinal nerve roots (the thing that's likely impinged causing your pain). If we can get you out of a bad position and keep you out (with postural re-training, strength improvements, exercises, etc), the symptoms can go away and the disc can heal optimally. Hope this post was informative.

Hey SociallyChallenged, I recently joined this forum, and have read many of your posts relating to back issues. It's very apparent that you know what the heck you're talking about.

I'm a personal trainer / group fitness instructor who has been dealing with an L5S1 disc issue for a year now. I was able to get back to 99% after 6 months, then re injured it, and now it's a small 4mm extruded disc (MRI a month ago). Some sciatic pain and numbness. Have not really lost any strength.

Contemplating surgery, but would prefer to try and get this under control with physical therapy. Problem is, every physical therapist I have gone to (and we're talking 5 - 6 in my area) will not spend one on one time with you, for the entire hour. They handle multiple clients at one time, give you exercises, and walk away. It's maddening.

My career is at stake here, and I'm looking to find someone who will look at my situation, and tailor a treatment plan for me. Spend 2 - 3 hours a week with me, watching how I move and helping coach me as I go. I'm willing to spend good money on this, whatever it takes. But I can't find anyone to do this.

Long story short, do you know anyone in Atlanta - or GA for that matter, who can help me? Thanks in advance for any help!!

SG

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
I was in a doctors office on 9-11, getting told I had a hernaited disk while planes hit the pentagon. A couple months before that, I had acquired lower back that was aching every day. I traced problem to a day at the gym, when i was fooling around shrugging with 450 in a smith rack. Got too much compression.

Once MRI confirmed problem I went to a chiro who fixed a cranky neck for me (I had a double whiplash from a daisy chain car collsion). Chiro gave me the manipulations and electrical treatments. After a few months the pain went away thank god.

In college I played football. I had some ankle tendonitis isues that weren't healing on their own. A trainer gave me ultrasound treatments, and I got better in a week than I was able to get in prior six weeks.

Between back and ankles, I learned to trust chiros, PTs, trainers etc more than many MDs who want to inject, cut etc. Last year I had a meniscus issue that went away with some bike riding and squats. I read a study that showed PT was as good or better than surgery for meniscus tear

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I Recently had an MRI which revealed I had a herniated disc (L5-S1). I can either get injections or go for surgery.

Both will most likely cost me a lot of out of pocket $ since my insurance sucks badly (really high deductible). Before I go and spend the $ though, is there any possibility that this herniation will heal on it's own?

The pain (sciatica in right leg) has lessened over the past few months, but I feel like I've hit a wall in terms of improvement. I'm at a point where I can do most functions normally, but there's always that pain if I stretch to far, sit too long, stand up for too long, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: fixed "it's" typo in the title haha

Edit 2: How much do steroid injections cost typically? What about surgery to fix a herniated disc?

A herniated disc is like a doughnut that got its jelly inside squished out.

NBC4(washingtonD.C.) healthwatch had a video about 5 years ago about a discover from a doctor who is near to getting FDA approval and in the NBC studio the doctor used the reporters own blood so its 100% natural to your body but he takes out 2 chemicals and then while she is wearing gloves he tell her to mix it around together and as she did it then mixed into 100% the stuff used as cartilage between your spine and he said he can inject it into the spine costing close to $1,000 per injection VS the $15, fusing the spine together.

He then says you just lay there and he injects enough to equal what you used to have in your spine as a teen. HE says to lay there for 30-45 minutes then the pain will be like 98% gone.

I am tempted to get that treatment done myself.

AchingBackOh

Aug 30, 2015
I have been in so much pain for the last 4 years, but it has gotten worse, and now the pain is an 8 every day, and peaks to a 10 throughout the day. I have 3 bulging discs pressing on the thecal sacs. I can hardly stand, or walk longer than a couple minutes. I am on gabapentin, tizanidine, and mobic, and still have excruciating pain. I have to go through er for morphine shots when I can no longer stand it. I have been doing pt for a month and no improvement. My doctor will not prescribe stronger pain meds, and wants me to do a pain clinic that is from 7am-5:30pm, Mon-Fri, for a month! I go to the Cleveland Clinic. I have changed my pcp's and this one is no better. I have told them if the pain does not match the disc bulges, then do more tests! The pain is in the middle of my lower back that pulsates, and throbs, it radiates up through my back up to my neck. I also had mrsa 5 years ago and told them maybe it is infection, they said my white blood is normal and just will not listen to me, I am ready to sue for not treating me!

Vin77

Sep 24, 2015
I am in this club as well unfortunately.

Diagnosis

36 yo male with l5 s1 herniation with severe impingement on the s1 nerve. Also 2 minor disc bulges at 14 15 and l3 L4. Doctor's are concerned only about l5 s1 problem. Was diagnosed in the ER with a cat scan.

3 weeks out from injury. Doing PT once a week and also my own PT everyday for about 45 mins (stretching, extensions Cobra/McKenzie). Also walking 5-7 minutes 4x per day. I work from home and can only walk short distances atm.

Symptoms

The most concerning part is almost complete loss of right leg calf muscle. Cannot do one single toe raise on the right foot OR walk on tip toes (right calf just collapses as there is no pull there).

Numbness in my little toe, sole of foot and righ calf.

Also some weakness in hamstring and ankle.

Waiting on referral to see a neurosurgeon, probably will get in over the next week or so.

In the last week I have just started to get some minor function/improvement in my little toe. I can now wiggle it ever so slightly and move it a little bit apart from the toe next to it.

Pain was intolerable for first 2 days then subsided now fine as I can sit, stand et., but if I bend forward I hit a certain spot where the pain shoots down the siatic nerve from my butt to heel.

Outlook

Very worried and nervous about loss of motor function. I can walk but I have a limp due the inability to push off properly with my foot due to the calf not firing.

Running is out of question.

Have read so many differing opinions so not sure what to do. Would prefer surgery as a lost resort but I suppose if the impingement is severe enough they may want to operate immediately?

Everything is fine with bladder function and feeling in hip/pelvis and other leg.

Main Question?

Do any PT's in this thread or anyone recovered fully with a weak calf muscle and numbness in little toe, sole and outer side of foot?

I just want to be able to walk normally again and be able to run eventually et.

I realize I am in early going here as Doctor in ER said these things can take a few months to a couple years to heal fully, didn't give his opinion on if I require immediate surgery or not, said he would leave that to neurosurgeon

Thanks for any responses!!!

Last edited:

Adamw88

Jan 4, 2016
I have a bulging l5 s1 disc which have been putting up with for nearly 2 years now . I am a builder and need my back as I am still on the tools , I also have a boy due in April and I am worried that I won't be able to kick the ball or anything with him by the time I am
30 . Can anyone give me some options besides physio and chiropractic healing as I have tried everything and the pain just never goes . I am lucky that the pain is in my back and right hip which travel down to my right hamstring and no further , but I can't keep living like this can somebody help please

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
You cannot repair connective tissue without enough protein and specifically collagen. My advice would be collagen hydrolysate (or aminos: glycine lysine and proline) vitamin K2, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, silica, proper hydration and enough physical therapy to increase circulation.

So yes, a herniated disc can heal over time with proper nutrition and supplementation.

Adamw88

Jan 4, 2016
You cannot repair connective tissue without enough protein and specifically collagen. My advice would be collagen hydrolysate (or aminos: glycine lysine and proline) vitamin K2, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, silica, proper hydration and enough physical therapy to increase circulation.
Hi Bradley so if I have a bulging disc is it the same symptoms as the herniated ? And do you think I should get the shit you're talking about ? Also I've put on 15 kgs since the injury as I have no motivation to go back to the gym / exercise , so I'm not sure as I'm scared I will make it a lot worse ?

Adamw88

Jan 4, 2016
Hi Bradley so if I have a bulging disc is it the same symptoms as the herniated ? And do you think I should get the shit you're talking about ? Also I've put on 15 kgs since the injury as I have no motivation to go back to the gym / exercise , so I'm not sure as I'm scared I will make it a lot worse ?

Shot*

hightree

Jan 4, 2016
I have a bulging l5 s1 disc which have been putting up with for nearly 2 years now . I am a builder and need my back as I am still on the tools , I also have a boy due in April and I am worried that I won't be able to kick the ball or anything with him by the time I am
30 . Can anyone give me some options besides physio and chiropractic healing as I have tried everything and the pain just never goes . I am lucky that the pain is in my back and right hip which travel down to my right hamstring and no further , but I can't keep living like this can somebody help please

It may vary from case to case, but long-term, there may be no difference between no specific treatment at all, physiotherapy or surgery, in terms of symptoms relief. Surgery surely can shorten the duration of symptoms.
http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/bulging-herniated-disc

I personally do not believe that various "superficial" treatments, like massage, spinal manipulation by a chiropractor or acupuncture, can help. Steroid injections can temporarily relieve the pain, but do not speed up recovery.

I have never heard from any reliable source that any supplement including those mentioned above would significantly help in treating herniated disc. Vitamins, minerals and proteins - you get them in sufficient amounts with just a regular diet. I do not recommend buying collagen or hyaluronic acid or any other supplements. While supplements might theoretically help strengthen the disc cartillage, the problem in a herniated disc is that the herniated part needs to be reabsorbed by the body and you probably can't speed up this process by supplements.

Herniated disc can heal on its own with time, but you need to give your lower back enough rest. I strongly suspect that your building work is aggravating the condition. Lifting heavy loads, prolonged standing, prolonged sitting, driving and bending can also make things worse. Even if you have a surgery and you continue with this work, it's a chance you get another herniated disc. So, I strongly suggest you to consider to change the job.

Walking or even moderate running can relieve the pain. A good physiotherapist can show you exercises to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy is not meant to "treat" a herniated disc but to strengthen your muscles in other to avoid worsening the herniation.

Technically, a bulging disc is the disc that only bulges out a little but does not press on the spinal nerve root or anything, while a herniated disc protrudes out more severely and focally and usually presses on the spinal root (but not necessary). Often the two terms are used interchangeably.

Last edited:

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Vitamins, minerals and proteins - you get them in sufficient amounts with just a regular diet. I do not recommend buying collagen or hyaluronic acid or any other supplements.

No, just no. Have you ever truly attempted to calculate your diet, much less the macros of an average american diet. Here's a hint: it's heavy in processed foods, carbohydrates, easily oxidized unhealthy fats and fairly lowish in protein - especially the widest variety of aminos - and very important vitamins (such as K2) and minerals (such as magnesium.)

To get sufficient hyaluronic acid, one would need to eat pounds of potatoes daily. Supplements are meant to be additive to our diet. Hylauraonic acid is what gives our tissues the capacity to contain water. Drinking water alone isn't enough to fully rehydrate those dried out decaying discs?

Do you even know how the body manufacturers collagen in order to heal connective tissue? You are basically saying it's through sheer magic. No, you need to give it the proper tools to heal. You should be increasing intake of anything that assists in collagen formation. If you'd rather skip supplements, at least start cooking and consuming bone broth. Specific mobility and strength exercises and rehabilitation is the final step.

You cannot build a brick wall without mortar and you cannot rebuild and assist collagen turnover without types 1, 3 and 2, period. These substances keep your body from losing hydration and literally falling apart into a mass of bone, tissue and organs.

hightree

Jan 4, 2016
Bradley, a herniated disc is an injury, which cannot be treated with supplements or diet. A good diet can contribute to good health, but this usually helps as a prevention not as a treatment.

A herniated disc is caused either by an acute injury or as a chronic injury in people who have degeneration disc disease. This cannot be prevented or treated by nutrients but by being careful with exercise and other physical work.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Bradley, a herniated disc is an injury, which cannot be treated with supplements or diet. A good diet can contribute to good health, but this usually helps as a prevention not as a treatment.

A herniated disc is caused either by an acute injury or as a chronic injury in people who have degeneration disc disease. This cannot be prevented or treated by nutrients but by being careful with exercise and other physical work.

Who said herniated discs weren't due to injury? Beyond that.... nutritional deficiencies with improper form, hydration and mobility/flexibility tend to cause injuries in people who exert themselves. So, yeah.

Collagen is the main component of connective tissue, and at 35% composition, the most prominent whole-body protein. Also 90% of bone matrix is comprised of collagen. This is not complicated.

Not only are many modern diseases, including degenerative discs, solvable with nutrition and exercise, but one can also vastly increase bone density and connective tissue strength beyond their twenties. We need to make gains there too.

Increasing bone density and connective tissue strength correlates directly with increased mobility, flexibility and strength at the gym. The more solid these both become the more freely your mind and body will allow you to push and fully contract.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Although anecdotal, I have had two back injuries. One from shrugs and my most recent one from shoveling dirt for 3-4 hours straight and making wheel barrel runs. Back injuries, if they are not muscle related take a very long time to heal. I think people become impatient and quit doing what they should be doing.

The first time I seriously inured it, I rested my back thinking rest was the way to go. Problem is, my back continued to get worse. After 3 months of a chiropractor and still my back degenerating, I decided to hit the barbells again. As I lifted what what my back could handle, I noticed it getting better and better. Within another two months, I was pain free and about 6 months later I worked up to a 435 Deadlift @ 180 in weight. My back was better than new, or at least back to where it was.

What I find interesting that even a very strong back can be injured doing something as simple as shoveling dirt. Granted, I was shoveling huge loads of clay and taking huge wheel barrels of dirt and dumping them, I eventually hurt my back. This time, it was a bulging disc. It only hurt when I did certain movements. I could avoid any pain by avoid shoveling (bending of the back) and by avoiding squats. At first I had no idea it was a bulging disc, so I treated it like a muscle belly injury and did very light rounded back exercises... Problem is, it never got better. It always stayed the same. I figured out the rounded of the back in that way, especially with weight, although minor is the same exact position that shoveling puts your back in often and was contributing the bulging disc. Once I learned that, I studied up on sheer force and while I already knew proper form to lift with, I never truly understand the bio-mechanics of sheer force until I studied them closely. Once I identified the problem, I started a new regimen which was:

* No Deadlifting
* No Squatting
* No Shoveling
* Standing as much as I could rather than sitting as that kept my spine neutral.

After about 3 months of that the pain was gold. I tested the waters carefully and am now able to do quick lifts again like the Power Clean or speed deadlifts. Deadlifting is back up to 365. I still have a ways to go, but I have learned some very valuable things when dealing with the back.

For a summary - in both cases I had thought my back will never heal. In both cases the therapy was different. In both cases it took a very long time. 5 months for the first injury to heal and over 1 year for my second injury to heal.

Knowing what I know now, I could have cut down the recovery time to 2 months and 6 months respectively.

I personally believe most back injuries can heal on their own if treated properly. I think to many people get an injury and consign themselves to that injury for the rest of their lives. I am not saying every back injury can heal on its own, but the body is remarkable at healing once we stop doing things that cause the problem and allow it the proper stimulus to heal itself.

One more comment - I grew up under the Olympic lifts and was taught proper form. Neither of these injuries were due to form perse, but they were due to over zealous lifting and shoveling. Even those who know how to lift properly and still susceptible to back injuries and karma has a way to deal with people. Up until 30 I never back a back injury and I believed it was become I was superior, knew the right form and, yada yada yada. The first one was a humbling experience and the second one was a learning experience. I hope no one has to injure their back, but if so, I don't think it is that dire.

Edit **

Bill Starr's therapy worked for my first injury and aggravated and made worse my second injury. That is one way to determine if an injury is muscle related or not. If it is, it will always (or nearly always) benefit from Bill Starr's therapy.

http://billstarrr.blogspot.com/2012/01/rehabbing-lower-back.html

But related to the OP's title "Can a herniate disc heal itself?" Not sure. I know a bulging disc can. Some say it can, and I tend to believe it can... Neat site to check out.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-...c-bulges-they-are-not-forever-but-training-is

There is some deviation from what is considering bulged vs torn... Sometimes they are used interchangeably.

Last edited:

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
In relation to the great post above, I have found the best way to keep your spine neutral are shoulder dislocations. I do them before every workout. They keep any one side, whether chest and abs or back and traps, from being dominant with the shoulders remaining central to both. This will translate to better lower body work.

Shoulder dislocations also help to eliminate forward posture and to train the body maintain shoulder stability, mobility and elevation with the humerus retracted and the scapula depressed. I feel these are the main factors for back injuries due to heavy lifting.

These would also make a great back rehab exercise. Just go wide, low volume and slow at first. I also recommend eventually attempting to pull apart the bar to increase scapula retraction.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a better video to help demonstrate the exercise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEPlDmu5pBk

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
In relation to the great post above, I have found the best way to keep your spine neutral are shoulder dislocations. I do them before every workout. They keep any one side, whether chest and abs or back and traps, from being dominant with the shoulders remaining central to both. This will translate to better lower body work.

Shoulder dislocations also help to eliminate forward posture and to train the body maintain shoulder stability, mobility and elevation with the humerus retracted and the scapula depressed. I feel these are the main factors for back injuries due to heavy lifting.

These would also make a great back rehab exercise. Just go wide, low volume and slow at first. I also recommend eventually attempting to pull apart the bar to increase scapula retraction.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a better video to help demonstrate the exercise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEPlDmu5pBk

that is also just known as the towel stretch. instead of using that bar, just grab a bath towel and pull it taught, and do the same thing.

as far as back injuries, i messed mine up long ago doing squats wrong.

to make a long story short, after literal years of pain, i ended up getting an inversion table off some guy on craigslist, and within a week of using it 2x a day, 5 minutes at a time, my back felt better than it had the past 5 years. so i'm a firm believer of those since i've had my own personal experience with them.

Jun 18, 2000
I'm always amazed this thread keeps coming back to life. I guess there are a lot of people out there googling herniated disc recovery?

I hurt my back doing squats years ago, but like an idiot never went to the doctor to get checked out. Over time (months) the pain and discomfort subsided, but it's still easy to aggravate it and be sore for a few days.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I'm always amazed this thread keeps coming back to life. I guess there are a lot of people out there googling herniated disc recovery?

I hurt my back doing squats years ago, but like an idiot never went to the doctor to get checked out. Over time (months) the pain and discomfort subsided, but it's still easy to aggravate it and be sore for a few days.

You may want to consider that the reason you can still aggravate it is because you keep trying to avoid anything that aggravates it. I can't say for certain, but unless you really isolate whether this is a muscle belly injury or a ligament, or something more severe, you will likely never make any progress. If this is more than just a muscle issue (weak muscles are easily aggravated) a specialist should be able to see that on an MRI.

Muscle breakdown and atrophy (along with bones) when there isn't sufficient resistance. Astronauts in space can provide the best examples of what happens when we 'rest' things... Resting for anything other than an acute injury is a mistake, in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't know your situation and I don't want to pretend like you will certainly recover if you start working your back out properly, but I really believe it would at least be worth a try. Maybe visit the doc first. Look into Bill Star therapy and consider some works by Dr. Jolie Bookspan.

Anyhow, good luck to you.

Jun 18, 2000
You may want to consider that the reason you can still aggravate it is because you keep trying to avoid anything that aggravates it. I can't say for certain, but unless you really isolate whether this is a muscle belly injury or a ligament, or something more severe, you will likely never make any progress. If this is more than just a muscle issue (weak muscles are easily aggravated) a specialist should be able to see that on an MRI.

I always assumed it was related to compression of the spine since I only seem to aggravate it lifting something heavy. Running, jumping, or other intense exercise doesn't bother me much. But ultimately you are right, it's something a doctor should have diagnosed long ago.