Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019. Thoughts?

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
What are your thoughts about this game?

Is it good, is it bad? Better or worse than expected?

Should I buy it?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I have been playing the single player campaign at 3840 x 1600 with ray tracing the graphics are unbelievable, I do get some studder with the cut scenes other than that it plays smooth.

I am about half way through the campaign, I don't want to spoil anything, lets just say the fire fights can get pretty intense , so far I would give a 10 out of 10 for fun factor.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I have been playing the single player campaign at 3840 x 1600 with ray tracing the graphics are unbelievable, I do get some studder with the cut scenes other than that it plays smooth.

I am about half way through the campaign, I don't want to spoil anything, lets just say the fire fights can get pretty intense , so far I would give a 10 out of 10 for fun factor.
Do you mind sharing your system specs?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Do you mind sharing your system specs?

I have a older workstation with two Xeon 6 core 3.20 GHz CPUs, 32 Gigs DDR4 ram, an Asus RTX 2080ti OC edition video card and a Acer 38 inch ultra wide monitor that runs at 75Hz.

Reactions: Ajay

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019

Thanks! Really happy if the combat is a bit more challenging than the previous games, love when things get intense. 10/10 for fun is really good too!

Since you're half way through, does the champaign have a decent and engaging story?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Yes

Yes real good story line, with lead characters , that takes you back to what brought these characters together in this current campaign

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Hard pass for me. Game is too expensive and takes too much space. Ill wait for drop in price to $20 or less and when I decide to build a new computer.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I have a older workstation with two Xeon 6 core 3.20 GHz CPUs, 32 Gigs DDR4 ram, an Asus RTX 2080ti OC edition video card and a Acer 38 inch ultra wide monitor that runs at 75Hz.

I looked up that video card...1300 smackeroos:fearscream:... Was it worth it? I do love blowing money on new tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I am enjoying it for the most part. It does Battlefield better than Battlefield at times. I have not seriously played CoD since Modern Warfare, I split and went to BF. Havent really played too much to get into any sort of review yet, but I am enjoying it.

What I am going to bitch about is when cross platforming with console to PC, ALL parties have to use a controller. That is just idiotic. There should be an option to turn that off. Especially since both Xbox and Playstation support kb/mice on this game. I got it for the PC, to play with my console friends at work. But now like every other damn game, I have to buy two copies. PC for when its just me playing, because its far more enjoyable on a true kb/mouse. And console when I want to play with friends, and use the adapter to use a kb/mouse. I know its a money grab, and Im a dope for doing it with every game. I long for the ability to buy ONE copy of the game, log into an account, and play it with any system I want. Xbox, PC, or Playstation. This would be very easy to do, but not in their interest. Its in the interest of their customers, which they really dont give a damn about.

Hard pass for me. Game is too expensive and takes too much space. Ill wait for drop in price to $20 or less and when I decide to build a new computer.

BTW, complaining that a new game is $60, and too expensive. Most new 1st party games have been $60 for decades. I remember paying $60 for a 3DO game, and $90 for a N64 game. And not much less for a Super Nintendo game. Saying $60 is expensive now days with inflation counted, it just dumb. Sure there are more expensive versions, but you can]/i] get a $60 copy.

Likewise with HD space. It is extremely cheap to load up on HD space. Crying about the price of that is silly too. Just stick to phone games and be more happy.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019

Well most of the new games cost $50+ anyway and as for the space; doesn't PCs nowadays have hard drives containing terabytes of space? I mean yeah games take up much more space as the time goes but the same goes for the drives. And it isn't that expensive to upgrade too.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Think about the number of hours you play COD or BF. The cost for that many hours of time-burning entertainment is extremely low.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The multiplayer is fantastic. A lot of options/modes, runs great, looks great, supports cross-play for those who care about that. If you like military shooters then it's a no-brainer.

Campaign I have not even started but I'm expecting good things.

I would say it's a definite buy, especially if you likes previous titles like Modern Warfare 2.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
As someone whos spent over 1 day of play time and is rank 55, all I can say is that the game is m4 and shotgun slaughter. Huge balancing issues and poor map design in some places. TTK is too low and netcode is redacted.

They are planning to come up with an overhaul to the gameplay system and some better maps. So in a future the game might be worth to put more time into but as of right now it simply isnt.

Your 8th infraction for profanity.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
As someone whos spent over 1 day of play time and is rank 55, all I can say is that the game is m4 and shotgun slaughter. Huge balancing issues and poor map design in some places. TTK is too low and netcode is shit.

They are planning to come up with an overhaul to the gameplay system and some better maps. So in a future the game might be worth to put more time into but as of right now it simply isnt.
Lmao, the netcode is shit? Riiiiight.

I think a more accurate review from someone with more play time is LevelCap's: MW First Impressions

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The problem with game sizes is more than disk space, it is download time, if you have a crap internet like mine. (Thanks Q West Dsl, you make up for the crap quality by making it expensive.)

I only download overnight, because every other computer in the house is slower than shit running off a flat rock when downloading a game on my gaming PC. Took me 3 nights to download Borderlands 3.

I am still confused about this game though. Is it a new game, a remaster of the original COD MW, or a remaster with substantial new content added? The original COD MW was the last one of the series that I though was a really excellent game. (mostly play single player)

Oct 9, 1999
holy shit am i terrible at FPS games these days. haven't played a fast paced since MW2 10 years ago.

it's a pretty game, running smooth for me on a 1080, i7 16GB ram, maxed out @ 1080

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
The multiplayer is fantastic. A lot of options/modes, runs great, looks great, supports cross-play for those who care about that. If you like military shooters then it's a no-brainer.

Campaign I have not even started but I'm expecting good things.

I would say it's a definite buy, especially if you likes previous titles like Modern Warfare 2.

Sounds nice! Really love that they've implemented crossplay since some of my friends only play on console. Glad to hear that the game doesn't sound like a bust!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I am still confused about this game though. Is it a new game, a remaster of the original COD MW, or a remaster with substantial new content added? The original COD MW was the last one of the series that I though was a really excellent game. (mostly play single player)
It's a new game, no reboot/remaster. I think there's some characters in it (single player campaign) from previous titles but that's it.

Sounds nice! Really love that they've implemented crossplay since some of my friends only play on console. Glad to hear that the game doesn't sound like a bust!
Yeah I really think it's great. Of course there's plenty of people that don't like it, I'm sure, but for me not being at all interested in any Call of Duty titles since Modern Warfare 2 and really liking this one, I think it's good. I'm pretty sure it has gotten overall good reviews too (looks like an 82 on Metacritic).

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
It's a new game, no reboot/remaster. I think there's some characters in it (single player campaign) from previous titles but that's it.

Yeah I really think it's great. Of course there's plenty of people that don't like it, I'm sure, but for me not being at all interested in any Call of Duty titles since Modern Warfare 2 and really liking this one, I think it's good. I'm pretty sure it has gotten overall good reviews too (looks like an 82 on Metacritic).

Yeah I am with you. Since MW2 I wasn't really playing any of CODs (tried probably most of them, but none got me hooked). This one feels so much better!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I looked up that video card...1300 smackeroos:fearscream:... Was it worth it? I do love blowing money on new tech.

If your a heavy gamer, yes.
And you also game in 1440p+

Otherwise, no.... but then again, my cell phone this year broke my wallet at over 1000 dollar price mark, and i see little kids in jr high, carrying around 600 dollar cell phones, so i guess 1300 dollars for a man's toy is sort of moot, especially ones that last well over 2yrs unless it requires a RMA.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
God damn THE redactedGUN RANDOMNESS Sometimes guns kills quickly and sometimes it is pee shooter

Your 9th infraction for profanity.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have it on pc. Full ultrawide support. I have it maxed out minus one feature, I think that's ambient oclusion because it was causing aim down the sights to be blurry.

I like that it's cross play. My roommate, my brother, and friends can all play and we all have it on different platforms.

The story is one of the best so far. I've made it to the Wolf's den in the campaign and I think that's kind of close to the end. By far one of the best campaigns I've played and I haven't bought a call of duty game since modern warfare 1 and 2.

Multiplayer is fun, but has its drawbacks. Got to get used to lots of campers, and other issues. People cry because you can't run and gun like you could in the previous ones.