CALIFORNIA VOTE "NO" ON THE PROPOSITIONS ALL THE WAY DOWN.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moks78

Lifer
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: redgtxdi

I don't have words for this asshole anymore. :|

Arrogant, narcissistic, meglomaniacal, prick, dickwad, piece of elephant sh!t just doesn't do him justice anymore.

Arnold is toast!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Too bad they don't have a choice for firing all the corrupted politicians in Sacramento, starting with that steroid shooting of a governor. I would totally vote yes on that one. "OMG, we can't balance the budget 'cause we made too many promises while pocketing untold amounts of bribe. Oh we know, we'll just cut all the public services and public education funding 'cause we didn't make any promises with those guys."

YHPM

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
THANK YOU VOTERS OF CALIFORNIA!

Back to the drawing baord for the legislature as they try and wipe out 15 billion of the budget. If they continue to raise taxes, fees, and surcharges the taxpayers will have no money left to spend and the ailing economy will continue to tank.

9.25% in sales tax
9.5% in income tax
1.2% in property tax
54 cents in fed/state tax per gallon of gas
1.15% vehicle license fee tax

Heres to 2010 and the hopes we vote in some fresh blood to fix this debacle!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
But.... but... don't you silly CA people know that higher taxes and bigger government creates wealth and prosperity for all? You should be ashamed at yourselves for not voting "yes" to higher taxes and fees across the board! ;)

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Long story short.........

1A is a tax extension. It's hidden in language that makes one THINK that it's going to keep the bastards in Sacto from spending, but that's simply not true.

1B is a $9 BILLION (yes, with a B) bribe for the teachers to keep their mouths shut so Arnold can give away $9 Billion from his "Rainy Day Fund" (that was for the state, right?) :roll: to appease the teacher's union.

The rest can go to hell in a handbasket.

This state desperately needs to go bankrupt so that the courts can let ALL of these blood-thirsty unions know that we're not playing their game anymore. Game over!!

And if you care to do more than just vote, you can force action by donating to......... www.recalladams.org

:)

I did vote. I moved my home, family, my job and all my tax money out of CA 4 years ago.

I won!!! :p

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Just cut spending. Damn the illegals and poor people in this state.

Actually having lived there for over 30 years (moved 4 years ago) I can tell you, the money IS NOT being wasted on illegals and poor. the rich corporations are getting it all.

CA is the richest state in the union with the highest wages, and highest state tax rate. By economies of scale they should have more money than any other state, but its all thrown down the pit - corporate greed and political payoffs. Gray Davis was the worst. Cheers to Arnold for trying, but its beyond his reach. It's broke beyond fixing.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
THANK YOU VOTERS OF CALIFORNIA!

Back to the drawing baord for the legislature as they try and wipe out 15 billion of the budget. If they continue to raise taxes, fees, and surcharges the taxpayers will have no money left to spend and the ailing economy will continue to tank.

9.25% in sales tax
9.5% in income tax
1.2% in property tax
54 cents in fed/state tax per gallon of gas
1.15% vehicle license fee tax

Heres to 2010 and the hopes we vote in some fresh blood to fix this debacle!

You either raise the taxes or cut the programs. Doing both will create the fastest solution with the minimal pain.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Too many cooks in the kitchen in CA politics. State is basically ungovernable. A period of austerity is in order just to create pressure for political reforms.

microbial

Oct 10, 2008
CA just voted not to pay any more taxes for anything.

OP is fantasizing about illegal immigrants and teacher unions running the state. Sheesh...

Back to reality now...

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Too many cooks in the kitchen in CA politics. State is basically ungovernable. A period of austerity is in order just to create pressure for political reforms.

That's what you lefties just don't seem to get. There is pressure for reforms NOW, it's called "NO MONEY". Cut spending and waisting, perhaps then the citizens would be more inclined to allow even more taxes.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

You mean pressure like not authorizing more fuding of their bloated state budget? Let the reforms begin!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
well I think we should make cuts. Everybody is making hard choices in their personal lives so why shouldn't the gov? It sucks but its how it has to be. What did pass is that if there is a deficit then politicians don't get raises. cheers!

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
well I think we should make cuts. Everybody is making hard choices in their personal lives so why shouldn't the gov? It sucks but its how it has to be. What did pass is that if there is a deficit then politicians don't get raises. cheers!

I'd like to see a law that if the state is running a deficit, no state employees get a raise, and no union contracts can be renewed. I bet you'd see some budget balancing then.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx

I'd like to see a law that if the state is running a deficit, no state employees get a raise, and no union contracts can be renewed. I bet you'd see some budget balancing then.

That sounds like a pretty good idea......

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx

Let's get it put on the ballot!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How many millions or even billions would be saved if Kahleeforneeya stopped paying for the costs of educating children of illegal immigrants?

How about providing welfare, health care, and food stamps for illegal immigrants and their anchor babies?

Time for Prop 187 again...this time, it needs to be worded in such a way that the courts don't throw it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
How many millions or even billions would be saved if Kahleeforneeya stopped paying for the costs of educating children of illegal immigrants?

How about providing welfare, health care, and food stamps for illegal immigrants and their anchor babies?

Time for Prop 187 again...this time, it needs to be worded in such a way that the courts don't throw it out.

Except that there are consequences to a lot of unedcated children running around not in school, both for them and fo society; and that illegal immigrants are a net economic plus.

You are scapegoating the illegal immigrants.

What we should do is to get rid of the 2/3 budget requirement.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

That's what you lefties just don't seem to get. There is pressure for reforms NOW, it's called "NO MONEY". Cut spending and waisting, perhaps then the citizens would be more inclined to allow even more taxes.

Don't get what? You are just rephrasing what I said in my post.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Except that there are consequences to a lot of unedcated children running around not in school, both for them and fo society;

As far as I'm concerned, there are no consequences, provided those children are running around somewhere in Mexico instead of being here illegally. Tough to blame that on CA though, the federal government is supposed to handle it. CA deserves blame for providing lots of benefits to illegals, making it even more tempting for them to come.

You are scapegoating the illegal immigrants.

They are certainly not the main reason for this mess, but I have no doubt the additional strain they put on the public systems (school, hospitals etc) has added to the problems.

What we should do is to get rid of the 2/3 budget requirement.

Seems like the 2/3 rule is the only thing keeping the state from taxing/spending even more recklessly.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87

You mean pressure like not authorizing more fuding of their bloated state budget? Let the reforms begin!

Yes, that's what I mean. There is a lot of waste that needs to be cut, and unfortunately it is going to take a crisis to get it done.
But there need to be long term political reform, because now almost anyone can vote themselves new spending though proposition process without having to figure out a way to afford it. That is simply nuts, and should not be allowed to proceed by authorizing more borrowing to keep this insanity going. It's time to face the music.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Craig234

Except that there are consequences to a lot of unedcated children running around not in school, both for them and fo society; and that illegal immigrants are a net economic plus.

LOL you think they're being educated well?

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: colossus

My take is that the state has lost perspective on where the middle class is. When they want to cater to business they advertise that they're making cuts to keep the film industry here in SoCal. Yet the state has provided proper oversight of utilities that help business operating costs down. They have not offered tax cuts to businesses. My wife puts braces on people and fixes their teeth. Yeah some bogus cosmetic stuff for some people but for other health improvement. Either way there is a tangible effect. She would hire more people but payroll/SDI/UI are all going up. At a time when she is able to hussle and work harder to grow more business she has to cut back simply because operating costs are too high (as it is she's losing $ at her own office and making it up by doing per-diem).

Having signed disability forms for patients and medical applications I can tell you there is so much fraud in the system. I have had people who have Mercedes and Lexus cars apply for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services). I have had a self-proclaimed pimp ask me to fill out a disability form saying his left hand was infured in a fight in prison. I have a stack of about 40 requests for disability for back-related "injuries" - I'm just keeping them in case Feinstein ever reads my letters and wants to review the patient's charts.

There will come a point where those who are willing to pay will eventually leave or refuse to pay for those who can't or refuse. The rich movie stars and atheletes will stay here so they can get their pilates and sushi pizza. The unemployed bums will stay here as long as the movie stars stay. The middle class are the ones who are getting feed up. By middle class I mean the person who hates getting up at 4-8 AM and dealing with traffic. The ones who actually look at the sale prices at the supermarket flyer and plan that weeks dinners based on what's on sale. The ones who faithfully pay their taxes but wish they would seem some tangible benefit from it. The ones who will save $ for their kids education but will donate their own play $ to the Red Cross in times of emergency.

I have always been a cheap bastard (part of the reason I joined AT was for the Hot Deals Forum back in the day) and I have already made a personal decision to not spend on any goods here in CA until the tax rate returns back to the 8 percentile here in LA county (thank you Amazon and lack of tax on grocery store food item). Other people may pass judgement on my behavior - but unless you're willing to be in a job where you only get paid for 3/4 of your work you have no leg to stand on.

I do not care which party is in office or rather what agenda they support (other than the far left/right wackos I think most people agree on the middle ground items). My concern is that my tax money is not being spent wisely. I think my parents could run certain departments more efficiently than the wasted carbon sitting in Sacramento. I am happy to see my patients (even the broke ones) leave the hospital better off then when they came in and that's what keeps me going, but it just takes one 33 year-old complaining of intractable back pain asking for Dilaudid to piss me off (the nurse was surprised to see him get into his Mazda MIATA when leaving the hospital - I wasn't).

I plan on voting NO across the board (I might wabble on 1F - common sense vs spite against that fecal sac Able).

Thanks for sharing your perspective. That's exactly how I feel (the bolded part).

I hope that one day CA will become great again, but I'm not optimistic.

As much as I don't like how many parts of TX is close-minded compared to CA, TX is much friendlier for the working class. There are states that value hard work instead of giving free sh!t to leeches and tax the sh!t out of the middle class. You and your wife's skills can be better used in middle class friendly states.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
Originally posted by: colossus

My take is that the state has lost perspective on where the middle class is. When they want to cater to business they advertise that they're making cuts to keep the film industry here in SoCal. Yet the state has provided proper oversight of utilities that help business operating costs down. They have not offered tax cuts to businesses. My wife puts braces on people and fixes their teeth. Yeah some bogus cosmetic stuff for some people but for other health improvement. Either way there is a tangible effect. She would hire more people but payroll/SDI/UI are all going up. At a time when she is able to hussle and work harder to grow more business she has to cut back simply because operating costs are too high (as it is she's losing $ at her own office and making it up by doing per-diem).

Having signed disability forms for patients and medical applications I can tell you there is so much fraud in the system. I have had people who have Mercedes and Lexus cars apply for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services). I have had a self-proclaimed pimp ask me to fill out a disability form saying his left hand was infured in a fight in prison. I have a stack of about 40 requests for disability for back-related "injuries" - I'm just keeping them in case Feinstein ever reads my letters and wants to review the patient's charts.

There will come a point where those who are willing to pay will eventually leave or refuse to pay for those who can't or refuse. The rich movie stars and atheletes will stay here so they can get their pilates and sushi pizza. The unemployed bums will stay here as long as the movie stars stay. The middle class are the ones who are getting feed up. By middle class I mean the person who hates getting up at 4-8 AM and dealing with traffic. The ones who actually look at the sale prices at the supermarket flyer and plan that weeks dinners based on what's on sale. The ones who faithfully pay their taxes but wish they would seem some tangible benefit from it. The ones who will save $ for their kids education but will donate their own play $ to the Red Cross in times of emergency.

I have always been a cheap bastard (part of the reason I joined AT was for the Hot Deals Forum back in the day) and I have already made a personal decision to not spend on any goods here in CA until the tax rate returns back to the 8 percentile here in LA county (thank you Amazon and lack of tax on grocery store food item). Other people may pass judgement on my behavior - but unless you're willing to be in a job where you only get paid for 3/4 of your work you have no leg to stand on.

I do not care which party is in office or rather what agenda they support (other than the far left/right wackos I think most people agree on the middle ground items). My concern is that my tax money is not being spent wisely. I think my parents could run certain departments more efficiently than the wasted carbon sitting in Sacramento. I am happy to see my patients (even the broke ones) leave the hospital better off then when they came in and that's what keeps me going, but it just takes one 33 year-old complaining of intractable back pain asking for Dilaudid to piss me off (the nurse was surprised to see him get into his Mazda MIATA when leaving the hospital - I wasn't).

I plan on voting NO across the board (I might wabble on 1F - common sense vs spite against that fecal sac Able).

Thanks for sharing your perspective. That's exactly how I feel (the bolded part).

I hope that one day CA will become great again, but I'm not optimistic.

As much as I don't like how many parts of TX is close-minded compared to CA, TX is much friendlier for the working class. There are states that value hard work instead of giving free sh!t to leeches and tax the sh!t out of the middle class. You and your wife's skills can be better used in middle class friendly states.

Damn straight, the workers are getting pissed. The leeches and their apologists will complain about the successful "not paying their fair share" but FUCK THEM, get a job you losers.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
On a more positive note, The California Citizens Compensation Commission today cut the salaries of elected officials by 18%.

http://cbs13.com/local/elected...als.pay.2.1014366.html

"Commission Slashes State Elected Officials Pay 18%SACRAMENTO (CBS13/AP) ?

A California commission voted Wednesday to slash the pay of the Legislature and other state elected officials by 18 percent, a day after voters offered their own rebuke by rejecting five budget-related measures drafted by lawmakers and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The California Citizens Compensation Commission, meeting in Burbank, voted 5-1 to impose the pay cuts and said it was seeking a legal opinion that would allow the reductions to take effect in the middle of the officials' terms. Under current law, the pay cuts would be imposed between December 2010 and the end of 2012, meaning lawmakers and officeholders would finish their terms without ever seeing a smaller paycheck.

The vote came three weeks after the seven-member commission, with three vacancies, deadlocked on a motion to cut the salaries 10 percent. Schwarzenegger filled the empty seats on the panel later that day.

With the pay cut, salaries of rank-and-file lawmakers would fall from $116,028 a year to $95,143. The legislative leaders' salaries will go from $133,639 to $109,584.

Lawmakers can still get per diem payments for daily expenses, which can add $35,000 a year to their income.

State elected officials and lawmakers are the highest-paid in the country, with two exceptions. Only the state treasurer and superintendent of public instruction have counterparts in other states who are paid more, according to the commission.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger does not accept the state salary of $212,179, and 23 lawmakers take less than full salaries.

Schwarzenegger praised the commission's vote, which came a day after voters approved Proposition 1F. The measure prohibits state elected officials from receiving pay raises during years when the state runs a deficit.

"The people of California have spoken loud and clear," the Republican governor said in a statement. "They want the state to live within its means and do not want any more government waste or pay raises for California's elected officials."

Commission chairman Charles Murray, president of a Los Angeles-area insurance company, said voters' rejection of the budget measures on Tuesday figured in the panel's decision to impose a bigger pay cut.

"It indicated to us that this deficit issue is going to go on for more than a year, and since there's currently a lead time to implement a pay cut, we felt it would be better to give a large pay cut now and proceed on as time goes on," he said in an interview.

He said the commission has asked the Department of Personnel Administration's counsel how it could appeal an earlier opinion that the pay cuts cannot take effect in the middle of an officials' term.

"We got a ruling back from the DPA counsel we don't agree with," Murray said.

If the cuts cannot be implemented midterm, they would not take effect until December 2010 for the 100 members of the Legislature who will be elected or re-elected next year, until January 2011 for eight statewide elected officials and four members of a tax-collecting board and until December 2012 for 20 members of the state Senate.

Murray said the pay cuts would save $2.7 million a year when fully implemented. Commissioners plan to meet again June 17 to consider if elected officials' benefits are out of line.

The commission was created as part of a political reform measure approved by voters in 1990. Its members are appointed by the governor and are required to meet at least once a year to consider adjustments in state elected officials' salaries and benefits.

It has frozen all salaries five times, including last year, but until now had never voted to cut officials' pay.

In addition to lawmakers, the commission sets compensation for the governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer, controller, insurance commissioner, superintendent of public instruction and state Board of Equalization.

The next thing that needs to be cut, or at least modified, is the way per diem is calculated and paid. Several lawmakers live near enough to Sacramento that they live in their own house and drive to work in the Capital...and still draw HUGE per diem checks.

They should get no more than the lowest paid Cal-Trans worker gets if he has to work out of town. (oldsmoboat can probably fill in those numbers, but it ain't much.) And NO fucking car allowances.