California becomes 1st state to require women on corporate boards

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://abc7.com/careers/california-becomes-1st-state-to-require-women-on-corporate-boards/4377601/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --
California has become the first state to require publicly traded companies to include women on their boards of directors, according to a law signed Sunday by Gov. Jerry Brown.

The measure requires at least one female director on each board of California-based corporations by the end of next year. Companies would need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the number of board seats.

No way this doesn’t get struck down as unconstitutional. Requires discrimination based on a protected class. Noble cause but not the way to achieve it. What if it’s a male that identifies as female, wonder if that counts.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
https://abc7.com/careers/california-becomes-1st-state-to-require-women-on-corporate-boards/4377601/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --
California has become the first state to require publicly traded companies to include women on their boards of directors, according to a law signed Sunday by Gov. Jerry Brown.

The measure requires at least one female director on each board of California-based corporations by the end of next year. Companies would need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the number of board seats.

No way this doesn’t get struck down as unconstitutional. Requires discrimination based on a protected class. Noble cause but not the way to achieve it. What if it’s a male that identifies as female, wonder if that counts.

As the article points out, it's largely symbolic. Big companies will just pay the $100K/yr fine as a surcharge on white male privilege.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's an interesting issue. Suppose, for the sake of argument, as any good conservative might, that we know in our guts that only by having women running the entire world, will humanity be able to survive. Would it really matter in that easily known case, how just or unjust the laws are, so long as they serve the absolute truth that lies deeply rooted in our gut feelings?

Since it is obvious that the testosterone crippling that most men are subject to leads to the fear that every man has that he will be seen as unworthy to breed, and it is women that make such decisions, the result has been to keep women dependent on a man's earning power to procreate along with all the bigotry and suppressed hatred of women, it will ineluctably evolve in the course of the feminist movement that women will break those chains and resume down the Bonobo chimp line of evolution that was our original organic path that got derailed by inter-species competition. The future is looking more and more like only progressive liberal men are going to have a chance at good sex. Men should consider this when they raise their boys if they want their bloodline to survive. Now go brush your teeth, wash your face, and comb your hair. I'll meet you at the library.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think it’s a stupid “feel good” law with no requirement that the woman has to actually know anything about the company or industry. Maybe they can just hire their cleaning lady into a non-vothing board seat...

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --

I remember the good ole' days when "qualified" meant more than a set of tits..

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
As the article points out, it's largely symbolic. Big companies will just pay the $100K/yr fine as a surcharge on white male privilege.

Or leave the state and cost people a lot of jobs.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think it’s a stupid “feel good” law with no requirement that the woman has to actually know anything about the company or industry. Maybe they can just hire their cleaning lady into a non-vothing board seat...
Well let's not ignore the fact that the cleaning lady might likely make better decisions than men.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Affirmative action is nothing more than fighting racism, sexism, etc. with racism, sexism, etc. The left champions socially acceptable discrimination with affirmative action, the Dems are the real racists today. It is part of why I had my walk away moment, I realized the left has become the real fascists.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Imagine a world where a woman only has to list her cup size for a promotion..

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This doesn't seem like a good law and could probably lead to more inequality as women on the board could potentially be looked at as simply a token and possibly creating animosity.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Affirmative action is nothing more than fighting racism, sexism, etc. with racism, sexism, etc. The left champions socially acceptable discrimination with affirmative action, the Dems are the real racists today. It is part of why I had my walk away moment, I realized the left has become the real fascists.
This is a nice example of imbecile thinking: State something that can in some instances be true and then imply it's a universal. They proclaim your mental superiority as the factor that lead you to that conclusion. This fulfills all the unconscious emotional needs that are driven by bigotry, the need to condemn the other to stress your own ego superiority. SlowSpider, you're just an asshole like very other bigot. Try to relax. Your feelings of inferiority and your need to compensate in your own mind for them don't impress anybody but yourself. Who hasn't felt like a dirt bag. You flatter yourself thinking you are so especially worthless that your denial would impress anybody. You're just the typical dirt bag like the rest of us.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This doesn't seem like a good law and could probably lead to more inequality as women on the board could potentially be looked at as simply a token and possibly creating animosity.
Oh, I agree that it a bad law. But let us not pretend that all the men earn those positions. Some do, some are purely good old boy crap.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Its funny we have this situation in Australia,

We have two main political parties, one has quoters on female representation , the other doesn't. The one that does has 44% female representation and many of their top performing representatives are female. The other one has only 20%. They talk about quoters being the wrong way to do it, but then the right of the party turn around and fight dirty pre-selection battles with existing female members as a result come next election their female representation will be even lower. On top of this only one female member has held any real position of authority and they just finished knifing her in the back.

The point here is that quoters have helped females of equal capability fight the inherent bias within existing systems

One party has 53 male 42 female(labour) the other 84 male 21 female (liberal), after mid next year liberal is going to be more like 15 females.

Last edited:
Reactions: greatnoob

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --

You get concerned about the weirdest shit.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's an interesting issue. Suppose, for the sake of argument, as any good conservative might, that we know in our guts that only by having women running the entire world, will humanity be able to survive. Would it really matter in that easily known case, how just or unjust the laws are, so long as they serve the absolute truth that lies deeply rooted in our gut feelings?

Since it is obvious that the testosterone crippling that most men are subject to leads to the fear that every man has that he will be seen as unworthy to breed, and it is women that make such decisions, the result has been to keep women dependent on a man's earning power to procreate along with all the bigotry and suppressed hatred of women, it will ineluctably evolve in the course of the feminist movement that women will break those chains and resume down the Bonobo chimp line of evolution that was our original organic path that got derailed by inter-species competition. The future is looking more and more like only progressive liberal men are going to have a chance at good sex. Men should consider this when they raise their boys if they want their bloodline to survive. Now go brush your teeth, wash your face, and comb your hair. I'll meet you at the library.
You had me at ineluctably. :D

Nov 8, 2012
Someone needs to start a publicly traded gay male company so they can feel oppressed when they demand to have a woman on-board that knows nothing about being gay :p

On a serious note, seems silly - and I guarantee there is no where near enough qualified women for such positions.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Someone needs to start a publicly traded gay male company so they can feel oppressed when they demand to have a woman on-board that knows nothing about being gay :p

On a serious note, seems silly - and I guarantee there is no where near enough qualified women for such positions.

I can guarantee there are PLENTY of qualified women for such positions. Something being overlooked is that qualified != the best.