Calcium insufficiency?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I just ate some Fage Bestself Lactose-free yogurt about 5 hours ago and I feel totally revitalized and can't seem to go sleep, even though there is no caffeine or anything that should be keeping me awake. What is most evident is the "lightness" of contracting my muscles.

Past couple of weeks, I haven't had any dairy in a while and have been feeling fatigued all the time, even with eating the likes of red salmon.

Jul 27, 2020
Hard to say, because: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/yogurt

Excellent source of whey protein.

400 types of fatty acids.

CLA

All of the above can have a significant effect on someone who hasn't been exposed to them in a while.

Only reason I stopped eating yogurt is because it is contra-indicated for people with disc issues (not by doctors but alternative medicine practitioners). I'll believe that because before my disc issues surfaced, I was eating fruit yogurt every single night for a long period of time. Also, they say that it is best to eat yogurt in the morning or afternoon. Eating it at night is asking for trouble.

Jul 27, 2020
You seem to be the very defintion of the "placebo effect" in all your threads.
Nope. Some people are very sensitive to dietary changes and they can immediately sense the difference.

Kind of an extreme example. I took Acetyl L-Carnitine+Alpha Lipoic Acid at double the dose once (don't ask why. long story). My eyes went into Super Vision mode where everything started looking really sharp like I had gained enhanced visual acuity. That honestly scared the heck out of me. Never tried it again. Don't think I want to. Don't want my retinal cells working beyond capacity.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hard to say, because: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/yogurt

Excellent source of whey protein.

400 types of fatty acids.

CLA

All of the above can have a significant effect on someone who hasn't been exposed to them in a while.

Only reason I stopped eating yogurt is because it is contra-indicated for people with disc issues (not by doctors but alternative medicine practitioners). I'll believe that because before my disc issues surfaced, I was eating fruit yogurt every single night for a long period of time. Also, they say that it is best to eat yogurt in the morning or afternoon. Eating it at night is asking for trouble.
I actually hate dairy and egg protein. It's ineffective and lacking; no different plant protein eaten alone.
Leg muscles were feeling bad for at least a week. I actually ate ground bison and pasta sauce on the evening of the 12th...with no noticeable effects. Then yesterday, at the same in the afternoon to finish the cooked food. With newfound knowledge of not to eat iron with calcium together, I delayed my second meal until around 7-8pm. I haven't been insomniac since the prednisone. In fact, my sleeping times had become earlier and earlier the past few days due to the exhaustion. So, not only was I full of energy to point sleeping became difficult, my body was literally "unwinding" itself.

The only other difference was eating some nibbles of gouda, which I can safely say I haven't had (edit:HARD) cheese for almost 3-6 months. I have eaten mozzarella but not the hard cheeses.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You seem to be the very defintion of the "placebo effect" in all your threads.
You like hot takes, don't you?

This is how hot this one is.

Placebo effect requires a belief that the treatment would work. The only reason I have the lactose-free greek yogurt was that I bought a couple on sale for 5.99 at Harris Teeter, and that I thought I hadn't eaten much calcium as I should have for my teeth issues and only my teeth issues.
  1. a beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment.
Muscle wasn't even a consideration when eating yogurt, so how in the world can there be a placebo effect when SOMEONE GETS BLINDSIDED by said effect.

Good god, you have no kinesthetic sense whatsoever. \

Furthermore, perhaps you need to leave the monastery and realize calcium ions are indeed part of the muscle contraction process.

Likewise, you broken violin, B1 was consumed with the expectation that nothing would happen under the belief that the excess would simply be peed out literally, but then it did cause a difference.

Summary/Cliffnotes/Grade Schooler translation:
Trying something out is not the same as believing something will happen.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I just ate some Fage Bestself Lactose-free yogurt about 5 hours ago and I feel totally revitalized and can't seem to go sleep, even though there is no caffeine or anything that should be keeping me awake. What is most evident is the "lightness" of contracting my muscles.

Past couple of weeks, I haven't had any dairy in a while and have been feeling fatigued all the time, even with eating the likes of red salmon.

Hmm, Dairy and, by extension, yogurt are known to be sources of peptides with bioactivity, and one of the big ones is beta-casomorphine, an opioid peptide.
It is possible that what you were responding to was casomorphine binding to receptor cells, but the process of making yogurt generally reduces the presence of casomorphine.

do you have other sources of potassium? That yogurt provided quite a bit and that could impact muscle feeling.
Did you eat the yogurt plain? Any chance of added sugars? Your "feeling" seems like a response to sugar.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
You do have a very strong belief that small, temporary changes in diet can have profound changes on your physiology.

Something new I learned recently

Nope. Some people are very sensitive to dietary changes and they can immediately sense the difference.

Kind of an extreme example. I took Acetyl L-Carnitine+Alpha Lipoic Acid at double the dose once (don't ask why. long story). My eyes went into Super Vision mode where everything started looking really sharp like I had gained enhanced visual acuity. That honestly scared the heck out of me. Never tried it again. Don't think I want to. Don't want my retinal cells working beyond capacity.

You experienced super sight!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hmm, Dairy and, by extension, yogurt are known to be sources of peptides with bioactivity, and one of the big ones is beta-casomorphine, an opioid peptide.
It is possible that what you were responding to was casomorphine binding to receptor cells, but the process of making yogurt generally reduces the presence of casomorphine.

do you have other sources of potassium? That yogurt provided quite a bit and that could impact muscle feeling.
Did you eat the yogurt plain? Any chance of added sugars? Your "feeling" seems like a response to sugar.
I am highly skeptical that probiotics were the cause, because it simply had an effect way too quickly to believe that bacteria had the time to produce metabolites that fast. I can only conjecture that the whole food complex/matrix worked far greater than the parts within it. I had energy, but the muscles weren't "pleased" when ordered to move. But since my main issue was that commands to move muscles were met with "internal resistance" and they were extremely "achy" when moving or standing. So bad, I schedule a massage session on the 14th, but there was no arm massage in that session, yet my arms "lightened up" the night before and remain "lightened" today.

Casomorphins, if they do anything, do nothing for me alone. I actually tire quickly of ANY calcium-rich foods that are not sweetened up or put on a starch, regardless of animal or plant derivation and I actual like the animal calcium sources less because they don't contain minimal sugar like tofu and almonds. I only eat the likes of salmon or sardines because of intellectual "obligation" not because they are delicious for me. I haven't even eaten tofu for at least three months. Milk leaves me permanently parched and I haven't eaten any for at least two months. Plus, I ate this same greek yogurt about a month or two ago and didn't note anything but that I like the the fact the lactase enzyme made it more mild than the greek yogurt I bought 2-3 years ago(and stopped eating because again, I don't like calcium-containing foods even if my health, like my teeth, could use it).

I have had an irresistible habit of consuming fruit(usually 1 orange and 1 apple or equivalent, then reduced to just one apple for the last 1.5 weeks or so) and approximately 8-10 ozs of almond butter. My resistance to eating fruit and almond butter became stronger in the past couple days. Before, if I wasn't getting at least approximately 50gs of sugars from these sources, I'd feel really uncomfortable.

On Sunday, I ate approximately 10 oz of ground bison (90%/10%) and approximately two Tbsp of butter. About 4oz of Barilla Pasta Sauce was consumed with it. If anything, I thought I needed to go iron rich since I hadn't eaten any red meat in at least a week but I felt like garbage. If there was to be a placebo effect, it should have occured after the bison, because I thought that was my problem and hence it would "cure" it. The yogurt was a pure afterthought.
Other foods eaten were: 3-5 oz sauerkraut, 4 macadamia nuts, 1.5 pcs of Open Nature Sardines in EVOO, literally a bite of watermelon, leutin supplement, K2+D3 supplement, 3 pills of collagen+vitamin C supplement.

On Monday, my "lunch" was the remaining 6oz of ground bison(90%/10fat) with aprroximate 2 Tbsp butter and another 4oz of Barilla sauce. I didn't notice an improvement. I had energy, but the limbs were still miserable.
At around 7-830pm, that's when I had the yogurt. Might have eaten 6ozs or so without much thought. I DID eat a little gouda cheese with it. Ate 2 squares of dark chocolate maybe 30 minutes later, but it's doubtful the caffiene did anything; I took a supplement of green tea extract once may on the 2nd or the 3rd, and did not feel anything "unwind" in the muscles. But anyway, with the consistent fruit consumption, I'm certain I was getting potassium.

In addition, today, I had no dark chocolate and I still feel "free and lighter".

My mother has been more or less an exhausted brick for months after chemo, with very little appetite for anything. Basically, she ate almost none of the stuff I had eaten; so no nuts, no Bubbies sauerkraut, no apples, no dark chocolate, no gouda cheese etc. She hates beef, and is the type to prepare her own pork, so she essentially had no meaningful meat consumption for a while. Couple weeks ago, I thought some improvement was reached with iron supplementation, and she reported improvement in feeling afterward consuming the iron. However, still, her stamina was not that great. On Friday or Saturday, I even gave her some pork sausage, but it didn't appear very effective. On Tuesday, I just put about 3-4 oz of the Fage Bestself in a small drinking cup, with absolutely nothing else, and told her to eat it. She ate it, and I guess slept for an hour or two. But after that, she did report feeling better energy and she could stand up in the kitchen and do things. In the past, she'd simply just let the food rot because she simply couldn't get up to process them for cooking.

Prior even the iron supplementation, she was on a supplement scheme of omega-3s, K2+D3, Turmeric, Magnesium Citrate, periodic multivitamin(Sentry 50+), Calcium alone, once or twice Calcium+Magnesium+Zinc, all to no avail.
I didn't give her any of the yogurt today, but she has more or less stood up for about 12 hours so far(morning and afternoon, with a sleeping session about 45mins-1 hr in the afternoon)

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
An interesting but not relevant study to my case I found googling.

Japanese researchers looked into an anti fatigue effect against Summer Heat Fatigue. But their subject's responses only showed statistically significant results over a longer period, whereas my experience occurred within hours.

Japanese do have this ability to be willing to "throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks" when the body of knowledge has a gap to fill.

Some people can very well believe the science but also have the attitude that is perfectly anti-scientific investigation.