Cadet Bonespur cancels visit to Marine Cementery due to bad weather...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
kjm1sfR.jpg

Macron: Is this the man who will bring war to all of Europe?
Merkel: We will not lose to you.
Trump:
America-what-me-worry-alfred_e_neuman.jpg

Reactions: feralkid

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
I’m curious... It said that the U.S. had representatives there in place of Trump. Where did they come from and how did they get there?

I find it hard to believe that there was not a rain plan in place.

- Merg

Nov 25, 2013
That's bothered me for a long time. Somewhere back there, with the rise of Gingrich, Conservatives acquired really shitty attitudes about their fellow Americans, somehow came to regard us as their enemies. It's been astroturfed right into their heads by a myriad of thinktanks & poisonous political commentary, like Fox.

Once again I'll remind you. This is nothing new. It didn't start with Gingrich, it's been part of your political/social culture pretty much since the country was founded.

Again, remember the Know Nothings? 1850s? Same people believing the same shit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I’m curious... It said that the U.S. had representatives there in place of Trump. Where did they come from and how did they get there?

I find it hard to believe that there was not a rain plan in place.

- Merg

I think Trudeau explained the rain plan.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
I think Trudeau explained the rain plan.

I meant rain plan as in another way of getting there as opposed to taking the helicopter. Also, how did the other U.S. reps get there and from where. If they came from where Trump was then there is absolutely no reason Trump could be there.

- Merg

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I guess we've finally found something even conservative trolls can't defend. I guess this is a new low even for Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Once again I'll remind you. This is nothing new. It didn't start with Gingrich, it's been part of your political/social culture pretty much since the country was founded.

Again, remember the Know Nothings? 1850s? Same people believing the same shit.

It's been that way off & on, no doubt, but Gingrich drew it out of the deplorables the way a siren draws howls out of dogs.

Nov 25, 2013
It's been that way off & on, no doubt, but Gingrich drew it out of the deplorables the way a siren draws howls out of dogs.

Jeez. Fuck Gingrich. IT'S ALWAYS BEEN PART OF YOUR COUNTRY. And, until you guys figure out how to come to terms with that it's gonna continue.

Jan 25, 2011
I meant rain plan as in another way of getting there as opposed to taking the helicopter. Also, how did the other U.S. reps get there and from where. If they came from where Trump was then there is absolutely no reason Trump could be there.

- Merg
Normally there would be a contingency to drive. It wasn’t that far. But the difference in security and logistical concerns between a presidential motorcade and John Kelly can’t be dismissed either.

That said. Still should have gone.

Reactions: PClark99

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Normally there would be a contingency to drive. It wasn’t that far. But the difference in security concerns between a presidential motorcade and John Kelly can’t be dismissed either.

Not disagreeing there.

- Merg

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Normally there would be a contingency to drive. It wasn’t that far. But the difference in security and logistical concerns between a presidential motorcade and John Kelly can’t be dismissed either.

You would think the Secret Service knew the weather forecast and would have planned for traveling by car as a contingency. More like the Dotard didn't want his mop to get wet.

Nov 25, 2013
He was just being thoughtful.

"Donald Trump didn’t attend an event honouring US military dead because he didn’t want to disrupt the traffic in Paris, the White House said on Sunday, as the fallout for his no-show on Saturday continued.

The US president had been scheduled to lay a wreath and observe a moment of silence at the Aisne-Marne American cemetery and memorial at Belleau, about 60 miles (100km) north-east of Paris. The White House cited rain that grounded the president’s helicopter for the cancellation.

The move sparked incredulity among some of Trump’s critics: Nicholas Soames, the Conservative MP and grandson of Sir Winston Churchill, tweeted: “They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry.”

Nicolas Burns, an American diplomat who served both Republican and Democratic presidents, called the choice “astonishing”.

In the wake of criticism that Trump didn’t instead travel by car, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a statement on Sunday that noted the weather and “near-zero visibility” as well as concerns that a motorcade on short notice would have required closing roads to traffic.

“President Trump did not want to cause that kind of unexpected disruption to the city and its people,” Sanders said. She also said the trip to Aisne-Marne was 2½ hours each way by car.
"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...avoid-causing-paris-traffic-jams-says-sanders

What a great guy, eh?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

"Donald Trump didn’t attend an event honouring US military dead because he didn’t want to disrupt the traffic in Paris, the White House said on Sunday, as the fallout for his no-show on Saturday continued.

The US president had been scheduled to lay a wreath and observe a moment of silence at the Aisne-Marne American cemetery and memorial at Belleau, about 60 miles (100km) north-east of Paris. The White House cited rain that grounded the president’s helicopter for the cancellation.

The move sparked incredulity among some of Trump’s critics: Nicholas Soames, the Conservative MP and grandson of Sir Winston Churchill, tweeted: “They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry.”

Nicolas Burns, an American diplomat who served both Republican and Democratic presidents, called the choice “astonishing”.

In the wake of criticism that Trump didn’t instead travel by car, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a statement on Sunday that noted the weather and “near-zero visibility” as well as concerns that a motorcade on short notice would have required closing roads to traffic.

“President Trump did not want to cause that kind of unexpected disruption to the city and its people,” Sanders said. She also said the trip to Aisne-Marne was 2½ hours each way by car.
"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...avoid-causing-paris-traffic-jams-says-sanders

What a great guy, eh?

Schrödinger strikes again eh: Near-zero visibility and it would have caused excessive traffic disruption. Maybe everyone else was trying to make it to the memorial?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

"

What a great guy, eh?

That is some really weak sauce right there. They must have spent hours throwing shit at the wall and this was the best they could do.

Jan 25, 2011
They are claiming 2 1/2 hours each wayto do that drive? In a presidential motorcade not limited by traffic lights etc? It’s just over 50 miles.

Someone get them the google maps app. It can get them there in just over a hour.

Reactions: Aegeon and pmv

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
They are claiming 2 1/2 hours each wayto do that drive? In a presidential motorcade not limited by traffic lights etc? It’s just over 50 miles.

Someone get them the google maps app. It can get them there in just over a hour.

Don't you know by now? When someone asks about it next week it will be 4.5 hours each way. Next month a full day's travel.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Schrödinger strikes again eh: Near-zero visibility and it would have caused excessive traffic disruption. Maybe everyone else was trying to make it to the memorial?
All those other leaders of nations and dignatories that actually managed to make it must have clogged up the roads.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Any time a president visits a city roads are closed - often with very short notice. That never seems to bother them any other time

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Also the French moved them so Putin and Trump weren't sitting together! Like naughty schoolkids! :D

BBC News - Armistice Day: Macron urges world leaders to reject nationalism
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-46168105

Fantastic and this photo says it all.

10486524-3x2-940x627.jpg

The man with his back to us, Putin, is the enemy of Europe and most of the rest of the world, especially the US. Look at the crowd- Macron, Merkle and others, the faces of those who know their enemy. Melania ever disinterested and looking like she wants another drink. Trump- The smiling traitorous bastard, the dearest friend of our greatest foreign foe, evil welcoming evil.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I’ll be interested to see how the military vote goes next time. The soldiers he sent down to battle The Caravan are living like shit because there was no time for logistical preparations to be made.

I know if someone deployed me away from my family to live in squalor for weeks or months because they were trying to score political points I would want to fucking strangle them. Trump showed total, utter contempt for the military there.

Do you think Trump will show up at the border to serve them turkey on TG next week?

lol.