CA state worker retired and cashed out with 810k in unused comp and vacation time!

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by DucatiMonster696, Mar 2, 2010.

1. DucatiMonster696

DucatiMonster696 Diamond Member

Even with schools facing budget cuts, teachers being laid off, etc state workers are reaping huge benefits. According to an article below big time bureaucrats who work for the state are basically doing an end run around vacation and comp rules to earn big bucks as they retire and cash in those hours.

Yet meanwhile those on the left blame the rich, corporations, home owners etc... for CA's budget problems. Obviously to them their is no fraud or shenanigans going on with state workers or state programs which are being routinely abused for the benefit of individuals who work for the state. Meanwhile actions such as those illustrated in the article below would get anyone fired who worked a real job in the private sector.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/28/MNEC1C5KFB.DTL&tsp=1

2. bfdd

bfdd Lifer

So what you're saying is I need to work for my state gov if I want to make some real money and slack off.

3. Drako

Drako Lifer

It's not just the vacation time, it's the damn pension plans. California is fucked :(.

4. theevilsharpie

theevilsharpie Platinum Member

California's constitution mandates a balanced budget. Worst case scenario, California defaults and some of its creditors gets wiped out. For everyone else here, life goes on.

5. Drako

Drako Lifer

LOL, and how do you thing the budget will get balanced?

6. theevilsharpie

Ultimately, someone won't get paid.

7. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

And how easy do you think California will get money after that? It will get it via taxes. CA is fvcked, it is true. As long as its people deny it the eventual insertion of phallus will simply hurt more, but it's coming nonetheless.

8. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Good for him. Bad for whatever provision was put in to not expire that time in a use it or lose it policy. But you know that damn entitlement mentality, I'm entitled to that pay even if I didn't use it.

This kind of attrocity would NEVER happen in the private sector, unless it was unionized because I can guarantee you the state employees union got that "benefit" put in.

-edit-
    This kind of cash out of government employees of vacation time at all levels is nothing new regardless of the state or position.

#8 spidey07, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. theevilsharpie

ROFL :awe:

10. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Well it does, but only when a union is involved.

11. theevilsharpie

So California having to fund its operation via tax income = California is fucked?

OK :confused:

12. Jhhnn

Jhhnn Lifer

You're right, of course- private industry would just tell you that you can't take time off now, or ever, actually... force you to build up a huge vacation and comp time reserve, lay out lavish pension promises, profit sharing and stock ownership, too... then screw you out of it all when they flip the company titsup...

Thanks for all your hard work, chump, and uhh, how about you kiss my ass on the way out, OK?

Ask the people who worked for Continental, United, AT&T, GM, and others too numerous to mention...

13. Kntx

Kntx Platinum Member

A quick google will turn up many non-unionized employees of private companies paid millions of dollars after being fired.

14. theevilsharpie

I'm pretty sure that I'm responding to a troll post, but in the off chance that this is actually legitimate, California law mandates that all unclaimed vacation time be paid in cash to an employee on his or her departure from the organization. Because vacation time has a cash value, you can't "use it or lose it." You either get paid for the vacation time you don't use at the time that it expires, or it just stops accumulating at some point.

The only reason this is even in the news is because the vacation time payout is so high.

15. heyheybooboo

heyheybooboo Diamond Member

I understand this is California but most public (and private) sector organizations have rigid ""use it or lose it"" caps on vacation and comp time.

--

16. SirStev0

SirStev0 Lifer

Don't mind spidey... he'd rather us go back to a time of Indentured servitude. Where you broke your back for nothing and ate every piece of crow the bosses sent to you. And if you died in the mines because they were cutting back on safety for a few extra pennies for the big guy, they'd kick your wife out of the company house for being such a slacker.

17. TruePaige

TruePaige Diamond Member

Umm..the guy earned that vacation and comp time.

He only had it because he was a hard worker that did not take many days off.

He busted his hump and didn't take personal time for a long time to amass that kind of hour bank.

Why should he not be able to cash it out when he retires? The state should be putting aside money for this kind of situation.

18. bobsmith1492

bobsmith1492 Diamond Member

How do you know he didn't surf Facebook and ATOT for 10 hours a day?

19. SirStev0

SirStev0 Lifer

Yah mean like 90% of our community?

20. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

How are you calling me a troll? If what you say is true then no wonder that state is failing. ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY.

In the rest of the world you use it or you lose it. I'm sitting on like 4 weeks of paid time off right now, if I don't use it, I lose it. If you're a gubment employee, well there is no such benefit as the gubment employees unions have negotiated that (and good for them, but that's another topic). Are you really wondering why that state is failing hard? It's the lack of common sense and not understanding that folks will work the system to their advantage. Never underestimate the will of folks to take advantage of an entitlement.

You can't budget properly if workers can bank this kind of expense as it's not bound by time.

21. OrByte

OrByte Diamond Member

Did you guys even read where that State employee worked!?

he was a PHYSICIAN at a State Correctional facility.

Here is a guy who probably is one of only a small group of Physicians working in the State Department of Corrections at a Prison facility.

How many of YOU would want that job?

His workload dictated how much time off he got. And with not a whole lot of people trained and/or willing to do the job you can bet your ass he didnt get much time off.

22. OrByte

OrByte Diamond Member

he worked INSTEAD of taking time off!!

how is that considered "entitlement" ?? His compensation package ensured he would be compensated for time he was unable to take off.

If you think he worked the system to his advantage you are crazy. It was more like the system worked his ass to the BONE and now the system has to retire him probably because he is too old to continue to work. OTHERWISE you can bet the SYSTEM would still be working his ass to the bone!

No one wants to do that job... Working in the State Prison system is treacherous.

23. DucatiMonster696

DucatiMonster696 Diamond Member

Excuse me if I don't break out a violin and tears don't start rolling down my eyes.

So his job working at a state pen somehow means he gets to waive the rules on comp and vacation time for his own benefit?

What a great logical argument you've built there to excuse the abuse of comp and vacation hours which is further adding to the budgetary woes in the state. To bad its being doing at the expense of the tax payer. Somehow I have a hard time believe this guy's story unless it backed up by a factual source other then his own mouth.

#23 DucatiMonster696, Mar 2, 2010
  24. SirStev0

SirStev0 Lifer

I love how you know absolutely nothing about the situation or the worker but automatically jump off the handle about what you "think". How do you know he wasn't the only one who could actually do the job? Instead of costing them money by forcing them to find a replacement while he would have been on vacation, he busted his ass, worked hard and he DESERVES to be paid.

I know plenty of people who are put in this situation at work because they have the "use it or lose it" policy. They end up taking the time off because otherwise they get fucked. They end up coming back to complete bumblefuck because nothing was done to fill in the gap. Then they are fucked for a few weeks because they have to play catch up.

My buddy ends up losing a few days a year in vacation because he'd rather work and take the hit than let his incompetent boss try to "cover it" and set him back.

25. OrByte

OrByte Diamond Member

Oh I wasnt asking you to shed a tear. You dont work in that system so you will never get it.

They never take time off, the work is abysmal, the work is dangerous, and NO ONE WANTS TO DO IT. It would be an equal travesty if people like this guy who put in the time had to walk away with nothing to show for it.

As far as the "budgetary woes of the State" you people ought to be looking at the larger problems this state is facing. The costs of the State workforce is a drop in the bucket compared to the program costs.

#25 OrByte, Mar 2, 2010