C&C Generals 2 Announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Meh, generals was fun. Nothing incredible or groundbreaking, but fun. Generals 2 with an updated engine? I'd give it a look. Might be one of those games I buy when it drops to $30 or lower.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I never said that was Bioware's biggest fuckup. ME2 is definitely the first game where you can clearly see where things are changing for the worse though. also, lol @ 94 score.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
EA is just using the Bioware name because it has not been tainted yet, unlike Westwood and Origin Systems.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I never said that was Bioware's biggest fuckup. ME2 is definitely the first game where you can clearly see where things are changing for the worse though. also, lol @ 94 score.

You might also notice the 8.7/10 user score, with only 26 dissenters out of over 300 user reviews. Not just the critics that are enjoying it. You're entitled to your opinion, but things are apparently taking a slight turn for the better for the vast majority of gamers. By comparison: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
8.7 is quite a bit more fair. ME2 cleaned up a lot of things which I figure is what is accounting for the higher score. My beef in a nutshell is the over-simplification of core RPG elements (and the implications that has for future titles). I thought the main story was pretty weak too.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I must be one of few that enjoyed Generals. That being said, it shouldnt have had the command & conquer name tacked onto it - thats not what it was. It was great fun anyway though.

What concerns me about Generals 2 is that everything looks high detail and zoomed in. I worry that it will be like the last Tiberian game, where you control a handful of units, instead of your standard base building RTS game.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
The only thing that makes me feel excited about this news is that it's PC-only. I almost can't believe it. And I suspect we'll hear about a console version halfway through development.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Expect other EA properties and studios to use the engine as well. In face EA already released another game using it, the latest in the Need for Speed series.

They're using Frostbite 2 in a ton of games: NFS: The Run, Medal of Honor sequel, Dragon Age 3, and now this RTS. It's actually a good engine though, so I'm happy with that. Hopefully they won't cap it to 30 FPS like they did with the Run.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Not bad. I enjoyed Generals, but it was silly that it had the C&C franchise stuck to it. Probably because it wouldn't have had as much success as it did without it. I'm cautiously optimistic.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Ah, I loved playing Dune 2 on my 486 DX2 66MHz PC back in the early 90s. I put more time into that RTS than probably any other game.

Yeah Dune II got a ton of playtime when I was a kid.

And Emperor Battle For Dune was an enjoyable "modern" version of the Dune experience.
Would love a modern, visually-striking Dune release.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Looking forward to leveling up my tank and deciding which Jeep to go with as my love interest...

... Ha. The trailer did look visually impressive, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting this.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Yeah Dune II got a ton of playtime when I was a kid.

And Emperor Battle For Dune was an enjoyable "modern" version of the Dune experience.
Would love a modern, visually-striking Dune release.

As long as we don't get the cooky story (Emperor) or the absolutely terrible game (Dune 2000, Siege tanks have 2 barrels and are big combat tanks, not artillery!!!).

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I liked the original C&C and C&C Red Alert but Generals didn't interest me one bit so I never bought it. I don't feel any interest in C&C G2 either.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I hate generals it was the beginning of the slippery slope that killed C&C. It was mildly fun to play online though and at least it didnt screw with the main storylines of C&C because it had nothing to do with either of them.

However... a strategy game... and powered by frostbite 2 engine? Thats 8 threads as long as they dont gimp it! Im very interested in how this pans out, could be epic!

really?

I loved generals, I thought it was great gameplay wise

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I actually liked Generals. Tiberium Sun II was just Generals with childish crap tacked onto it anyway.

NTAC

May 21, 2003
Generals was good, I was into it so I'm psyched for this, espcially since it is on frostbyte 2... fully destructible terrain should be fun!

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
really?

I loved generals, I thought it was great gameplay wise

Yeah generals said to me that EA don't give a toss about the storyline and only wanted sales of something new and cool and they abused the C&C brand to get that. I wanted to know what happened with CABAL in tiberian sun and where red alert was going etc. Although i had many fun games on generals zero hour with friends, we played unconventional 2v2's on that massive 8v8 death valley map which turned into huge epic battles it was great fun. Hate i suppose is a strong word but even though i had fun with it at the time it wasent what i wanted, i like the game as a game but because of what it represented overall i don't like it.

Now that the storyline is wrecked beyond repair (makes no sense and its dull too) for the other C&C games i have some hope for generals 2 where story is not too important. With frostbite 2 at its core the chance for huge epic battles is here. There isnt any other modern RTS that uses a good enough engine to avoid bogging down badly with huge battles, this is PC exclusive as well.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Would it be insensitive now for a rusty 747 to fly over and drop a big ass chemical bomb on shit?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
EA is just using the Bioware name because it has not been tainted yet, unlike Westwood and Origin Systems.

OSI and Westwood got tainted by EA.

As is Bioware.

Bioware Austin and Bioware Mythic need to work on a new Ultima game now that TOR is launching.