C&C Generals 2 Announced

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1214497p1.html

Bioware? Sounds interesting but C&C lost me after RA2 and has done nothing at all to pull me back in.

EDIT: And powered by Frostbite 2?

I hate generals it was the beginning of the slippery slope that killed C&C. It was mildly fun to play online though and at least it didnt screw with the main storylines of C&C because it had nothing to do with either of them.

However... a strategy game... and powered by frostbite 2 engine? Thats 8 threads as long as they dont gimp it! Im very interested in how this pans out, could be epic!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Could be good.

It reminds me that when the N64 version of C&C was released the graphics blew my mind. In my wild imagination I thought about how a game like that "in the future" would be end up like, and I remember visualizing pretty much what happened (and the looks of it) in the teaser video. It kinda sent me chills down my spine to be honest. I think that the C&C series could use a reboot, rather than failed sequels, and I usually don't like reboots, but C&C I think needs one. That might be it although the title suggests it's a sequel to the first Generals, but then again we all thought that DA2 was a sequel to DAO, right?

Ah well, time will tell.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have a hard time believing Bioware could make a good RTS.

Since it is an EA game, that precludes me from getting it. C&C holds a lot of fond memories for me, but I have no faith in this game being any good.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Apparently the same studio that's always developed C&C is making this; they've just been put under the BioWare brand name for some odd reason.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Apparently the same studio that's always developed C&C is making this; they've just been put under the BioWare brand name for some odd reason.

Westwood studios is back?

After EA bought Westwood, things went to crap.

As for Generals 2, I am not going to get my hopes up.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

The original studio was Westwood. They were completely axed years ago. EA Pacific, now EA Los Angeles. Was behind RA 2/3 and Generals.

What happened was when VIE sold to EA. Westwood became EA Westwood and EA Pacific. When they shut down Westwood. They merged EA Pacific into EA Los Angeles. At the time they shut down Westwood, they retained about 1/3 of Westwood Employees. A couple years later they were down to 0.

Westwood made C&C, C&C2, Red Alert, and Renegade. Westwood Pacific, the precursor to EA Pacific made Nox, RA2, and C&C Generals. Everything else, C&C3/4 and RA3 were made by EA Pacific/EA Los Angeles.

The caveat to that though is, EA owned Westwood since 1998, so everything from C&C2 onward was made under EA's direction.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Westwood studios is back?

After EA bought Westwood, things went to crap.

As for Generals 2, I am not going to get my hopes up.

Indeed, frostbite 2 offers a glimmer of hope for me though, its modern and its exactly the type of engine an RTS needs, highly threaded. None of that peddling the 10 year old SAGE engine or announcing huge epic battles online with a 200 unit limit and the game only using 1 core anyways.

Its been a mess with C&C developers over the years: Westwood --> Westwood Pacific --> EA Pacific? --> EALA? --> ????? --> Victory games --> Bioware victory

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
The original studio was Westwood. They were completely axed years ago. EA Pacific, now EA Los Angeles. Was behind RA 2/3 and Generals.

What happened was when VIE sold to EA. Westwood became EA Westwood and EA Pacific. When they shut down Westwood. They merged EA Pacific into EA Los Angeles. At the time they shut down Westwood, they retained about 1/3 of Westwood Employees. A couple years later they were down to 0.

Westwood made C&C, C&C2, Red Alert, and Renegade. Westwood Pacific, the precursor to EA Pacific made Nox, RA2, and C&C Generals. Everything else, C&C3/4 and RA3 were made by EA Pacific/EA Los Angeles.

Ok, not the exact same studio, but the point is the same people who have always worked on C&C are behind this game as well.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Ok, not the exact same studio, but the point is the same people who have always worked on C&C are behind this game as well.

The qoute is ambigious. They have worked on C&C games. Which ones?

Since 2003(after the release of Generals) when EA shut down Westwood and mereged EA Pacific(formerly Westwood Pacific) into EALA, not a single Westwood/Westwood Pacific worked for EA.The people that made C&C, Red Alert, C&C2, and RA2 are not working on this game.

The people working on this game probably worked on RA3/C&C3/4. Some might have worked on the original Generals, but there probably isn't many.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
The qoute is ambigious. They have worked on C&C games. Which ones?

Since 2003(after the release of Generals) when EA shut down Westwood and mereged EA Pacific(formerly Westwood Pacific) into EALA, not a single Westwood/Westwood Pacific worked for EA.The people that made C&C, Red Alert, C&C2, and RA2 are not working on this game.

The people working on this game probably worked on RA3/C&C3/4. Some might have worked on the original Generals, but there probably isn't many.

Yep. Not a single Westwood employee remains with any EA studio. :(

I wonder where they all went... if any went to other RTS-centered studios.

EA has since forgotten about C&C's roots... C&C can be fun to pick up for a little bit, but it feels boring without the Dune elements. Because the C&C formula is basically the Dune RTS games + new models, characters, and story.

Emperor: Battle for Dune was released way too long ago. New engine plus, perhaps, more of the story from the Dune book series (there are a ton of campaign possibilities through the entire Frank Herbert + Brian Herbert novel series), would make for a terrific entry into the genre.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Confirmation that they're throwing around BioWare's brand name with little regard for the genre of games under it, at least.

This isn't new.

Bioware Austin
Bioware Mythic
Bioware San Fran
Bioware Sacarmento
Bioware Victory

I guess they no longer value the EA brand as much as they did/consider Bioware to be a better brand. They no longer open studios called EA (city). Its now Bioware (city) or Bioware (other dev studio bought by EA).

Everything EA is buying, they just slap Bioware on it. Instead of EA.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This isn't new.

Bioware Austin
Bioware Mythic
Bioware San Fran
Bioware Sacarmento
Bioware Victory

I guess they no longer value the EA brand as much as they did/consider Bioware to be a better brand. They no longer open studios called EA (city). Its now Bioware (city) or Bioware (other dev studio bought by EA).

Everything EA is buying, they just slap Bioware on it. Instead of EA.

I can't keep up with their studio name changes.

Maybe that's their strategy so we can't tell which studios kick ass and which ones are shitty.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So BF3 on FB2 + C&C on FB2 = C&C Renegades 2 on FB2????????? Plz...

And what's the deal, I thought DICE wasn't licensing FB2. Ha.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I can't keep up with their studio name changes.

Maybe that's their strategy so we can't tell which studios kick ass and which ones are shitty.

The funny part is Bioware already did a good job diluting their brand on their own with the Mass Effects, DA2 and TOR. This will just take it a step further until their brand is completely meaningless.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Was Generals the one where I could run around yelling ALLAHU ACKBAR! and sending my suicide bombers to ravage the countryside?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The funny part is Bioware already did a good job diluting their brand on their own with the Mass Effects, DA2 and TOR. This will just take it a step further until their brand is completely meaningless.

Bioware was bought in 2007.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
So BF3 on FB2 + C&C on FB2 = C&C Renegades 2 on FB2????????? Plz...

And what's the deal, I thought DICE wasn't licensing FB2. Ha.

The full name for DICE is EA Digital Illusions CE.

EA owns them. EA owns the ip and technology. DICE isn't going to be licensing it, because they don't own it. EA isn't going to be licensing it either. However, its not licensing when its your own studios using the technology.

Expect other EA properties and studios to use the engine as well. In face EA already released another game using it, the latest in the Need for Speed series.

Last edited:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Hmmm interesting especially since I was just playing Generals Zero Hour. :)

Great news though. Better be good.