Bye Bye GDPNow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What happened to the big arrow? How am I supposed to know exactly what this graph is telling me?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Amazingly, they havent pulled the plug on GDPNow yet. Q2 is looking almost as grim:

gdpnow_forecast_evolution.gif

Look how far below concensus it is, even though every single one of those concensus forecasters know about GDPNow.

Who would pull the plug on GDPNow and why? That makes no sense.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Who would pull the plug on GDPNow and why? That makes no sense.

He must be convinced there is some vast conspiracy to overstate economic performance. Probably the same group that is covering up the hyperinflation in the economy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hyperinflation just around the corner.

The ex CEO of the coporation that owned us in the beginning (Figgie International) used to rail on and on about the threat of hyperinflation. Even wrote a book (about mid-eighties).

Still waiting........

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
It really has nothing to do with free markets or even big or small government, and everything to do with the douchebag party holding America's economy hostage because it isn't their guy in the White House.

Disagree completely.

Be an average small business or one on Main Street and try to get a bank loan.

Low interest rates don't mean a damn thing when the capital is not available anyway. Tight lending standards trump interest rates.

Fern

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Disagree completely.

Be an average small business or one on Main Street and try to get a bank loan.

Low interest rates don't mean a damn thing when the capital is not available anyway. Tight lending standards trump interest rates.

Fern

Not one party has ever given a shit about small business. Small business sucks for everyone. If you aren't incorporated ASAP, then you can go eff yourself according to the US political elite.

that shit sells well to the yokels that vote, but Mom and Pop hiring 5 people doesn't mean anything compared to Papa John hiring thousands. Oh, small business is the first step to corporations?

LMAO don't even try to sell that story. Accepting that argument means that you really aren't for small business, either. It's still better (in the political mind) to let small business fail if it can't incorporate. That's the point. "Protecting small business" is one of the more blatant political hypocrisies today.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Hyperinflation just around the corner.

QE is deflationary. Worst thing you could do is take out a huge, long-term, low interest loan right now. The principle will do you in.

Japan is on QE 8 and they still struggle with deflation.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
QE is deflationary. Worst thing you could do is take out a huge, long-term, low interest loan right now. The principle will do you in.

Japan is on QE 8 and they still struggle with deflation.

1. What is your basis for saying that?
2. The U.S. is not currently engaging in quantitative easing.

I swear, this board is like a Ron Paul convention sometimes. So many people who are so strongly convinced about hard money policies with so little understanding.

Feb 4, 2009
thanks, man. I feel less confused now.

Still have no idea what GDPNow is, but this thread has entertained me since day 1.

Neither do I. Any suggestions how to grill a steak Zin? I used to like them well done but I now think medium is fine. Any suggestions on how to get a good char on the outside but avoid grey on the inside? I've tried cast iron pans and found them too difficult to clean & maintain.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
If you cannot understand what GDPNow is then you should take out your high school diploma (if you have one) and light it on fire. Do it now. GDPNow is simply the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's estimate for the current quarter's GDP. Wow so complicated.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you cannot understand what GDPNow is then you should take out your high school diploma (if you have one) and light it on fire. Do it now. GDPNow is simply the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's estimate for the current quarter's GDP. Wow so complicated.

I think personally that believing that GDPNow was going to be eliminated because it didn't provide good economic news is probably worse than not knowing what it is.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
thanks, man. I feel less confused now.

Still have no idea what GDPNow is, but this thread has entertained me since day 1.

Neither do I. Any suggestions how to grill a steak Zin? I used to like them well done but I now think medium is fine. Any suggestions on how to get a good char on the outside but avoid grey on the inside? I've tried cast iron pans and found them too difficult to clean & maintain.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gdpnow

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I think personally that believing that GDPNow was going to be eliminated because it didn't provide good economic news is probably worse than not knowing what it is.

It happens all the time. Not knowing or comprehending that fact IS worse than either of the above.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It happens all the time. Not knowing or comprehending that fact IS worse than either of the above.

Does it now. Well we've had about seven straight years of pretty bad economic news. Can you list the indicators that have been eliminated because they were giving bad news?

You would think the economic conspiracy cranks would eventually accept they were wrong.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Also, any projected time frame for when GDPNow will be eliminated? I'm sure it's any day now.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The ceridian pulse of commerce index went away. That's the only one I can remember by name. There have been several that have come and gone. The one that tracked the amount of cardboard containers was one of my favorites. There have been several others that have been "doctored" rather blatantly, such as the NACM Rejections of Credit Applications index which just had a massive revision that completely removed a significant decline.

If I had to guess I would predict that the Atlanta Fed will stop publishing its realtime forecast by Q3.