but....who will build the roads?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Imagine what would happen if all of us pooled our money together to build roads.

I imagine someone will need to figure out how much each of us is supposed to contribute to build the road. Someone else needs to go out and collect the amount owed from each person. Someone needs to design the road to meet the requirements. Someone to get community buy-in for the plan. Someone needs to procure the land or the rights to build on the land. Someone to build the road per the specifications. Someone to inspect that the road is being built per the specifications. And all along the way, someone to pay each person for the work they have completed.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Completely evidence free assertion, but it doesn't even matter. You choose to participate in a society that engages in what you consider to be daily immoral robbery of everyone present. You have chosen to continue to participate in such a society because you want to keep your comfortable life. You value comfort over morality, all the while attempting to shriek at others about morality. It is pathetic.

Exactly. Evidence free is right.

Again the most pathetic people on this earth are people like yourself who refuse to see the truth of taxation being another word for theft. If it were voluntary you'd have a leg to stand on. It isn't so you don't.

No, I have considered it and come to the conclusion that you are wrong. Your ideas are facile, unsupported by evidence, and show an inability to consider the outcomes of policies you advocate. You appear to think that looking at your argument and deciding it is bad is the same as not considering it.

Explain to the class how taking what you earn by threat of violence is not theft. This should be good.

You on the other hand HAVE made a conclusion. You've decided that this society is fundamentally immoral, but you continue to participate in the system despite this fact. That is disgusting and you have no excuse.

Of course it is immoral. If you had thought about it you would agree. However such thoughts are scary and those use to their cage will yell at the ones opening the doors to it.

You're just running away from this because you have no answer. Why are you so cowardly? Have the courage of your convictions and follow Thoreau's example. What are you waiting for?

Really dumbass? This is the best you got? What a fucking moron. I guess instead of fighting for fair treatment Martin Luther King jr. should have just left. Yep, the immoral land he was apart of should have stayed and he should have gone somewhere else where he could be treated fairly. Do you see how asinine your fucking argument is now? God damn getting people to think these days is like pulling teeth.

We all know what you're waiting for. Bitching about something on the internet is easy and this way you don't have to do anything. You'll sit here and shriek and whine for the rest of your life about how mean government is all from the comfort of your easy chair in some no-name suburb in the middle of America.

You dont have to like being convicted in your heart that what you advocate is evil. Once you've been shown you have no excuses. Fucking scumbags like you are the problem.

Last edited:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
That's because you are a dipshit.

Good one?

As opposed to you adding nothing but logical fallacies,

Really. Go ahead and tell us what they are.

and once again declaring yourself master of the universe for having done so.

Nope. Didn't declare myself He-Man. Just trying to get people to think but people like you instead of thinking first and then responding, go into knee-jerk conniptions and think its "witty". Sorry kid you'll have to put together a better defense then the above. Try again.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Explain to the class how taking what you earn by threat of violence is not theft. This should be good.

Hmmm... there's this thing called democracy and representation and a legislative process and things like that. But I guess those things are illegitimate in your eyes too, right?

:rolleyes:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It'd probably be a lot less expensive than giving our money to bureaucrats to spend after they take their own cut.

Its more than just the bureaucrats. A crapload of money goes directly to people who are voluntarily unproductive and will make babies that are unproductive.
Thats basically the same as burning cash.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Hmmm... there's this thing called democracy and representation and a legislative process and things like that. But I guess those things are illegitimate in your eyes too, right?

:rolleyes:

1. No man can delegate, or give to another, any right of arbitrary dominion over himself; for that would be giving himself away as a slave. And this no one can do. Any contract to do so is necessarily an absurd one, and has no validity. To call such a contract a "constitution," or by any other high-sounding name, does not alter its character as an absurd and void contract.

2. No man can delegate, or give to another, any right of arbitrary dominion over a third person; for that would imply a right in the first person, not only to make the third person his slave, but also a right to dispose of him as a slave to still other persons. Any contract to do this is necessarily a criminal one, and therefore invalid. To call such a contract a "constitution" does not at all lessen its criminality, or add to its validity.
:whiste:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Yeah because you would be bright enough to hire someone to build the bay bridge without the knowledge, manpower, materials and tools to do the job. <roll my motherfuckin eyes> lol

first the pic is not the bay bridge.

second, the bay bridge was built in china.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Did roads exist to the west when it was being settled? How long did it take for a (albeit rough) road to be beaten into the ground?

Where there is a need there will be progress.

actually yes, the "trails" west were roads. river crossing were at times 10 miles long.

not far from my house there are still ruts in the rock from the wagon trains. how many wagons do you think it took for wooden wheels to make ruts in rock? sounds like a road to me.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
If I had a nickel for every young person that dreams of a land with self governed citizens that were nice to each other and worked together in harmony to build a perfect utopian place to live.

Part of the problem is faith in the belief that there are no legitimate conflicts of interest amongst rational men, therefore people can live without a government. Another flaw in their mentality is their belief in the notion of absolute or "true" freedom. There isn't any such thing; we will always be constrained by a world of limited resources combined with other people's rational self interests. The initiation of physical force is a metaphysical necessity because of limited resources (force is required to protect claims to property). The free market dogmatists just assume that private property claims are to be unquestioned and that violent acts to protect those claims don't constitute an initiation of physical force.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Nice job by the locals. But this made me flinch:

The business owners and residents are hopeful that their generous contributions in time and resources mean the park should officially open soon. Pleas says they have only to get the new bridge certified and do minor cleanup.

----------------------------

The mountain my family has lived on many years had all the roads built by one man and his bulldozer back in the 30's or 40's. Yeah, people can make roads; govt isn't absolutely necessary.

Fern