but....who will build the roads?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
We will.

(CNN) -- Their livelihood was being threatened, and they were tired of waiting for government help, so business owners and residents on Hawaii's Kauai island pulled together and completed a $4 million repair job to a state park -- for free.

Polihale State Park has been closed since severe flooding destroyed an access road to the park and damaged facilities in December.

The state Department of Land and Natural Resources had estimated that the damage would cost $4 million to fix, money the agency doesn't have, according to a news release from department Chairwoman Laura Thielen.

"It would not have been open this summer, and it probably wouldn't be open next summer," said Bruce Pleas, a local surfer who helped organize the volunteers. "They said it would probably take two years. And with the way they are cutting funds, we felt like they'd never get the money to fix it."

And if the repairs weren't made, some business owners faced the possibility of having to shut down.

Read more at the link.

One of the first statist arguments you hear is "who will build the roads". Unable to think past their indoctrination of needing someone to tell them to build a road the above article demonstrates exactly how roads will exist or come into existence. Where there is a need it will be done.

A couple points of interest.

• Estimated repair was 4 million through the state
  • Project completed for by expense of local businesses
  • Road construction took all of 8 days

All of this was done by free will. No government coercion was needed to produce this needed road.

statistRoadsZombies.jpg

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Lol. What applies to one 20ft bridge would obviously apply to the entire interstate highway system.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Imagine what would happen if all of us pooled our money together to build roads.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Imagine what would happen if all of us pooled our money together to build roads.

It'd probably be a lot less expensive than giving our money to bureaucrats to spend after they take their own cut.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
(CNN) -- Their livelihood was being threatened, and they were tired of waiting for government help, so business owners and residents on Hawaii's Kauai island pulled together and completed a $4 million repair job to a state park -- for free.

Free... that's the part I don't get. They did the labor themselves, provided the materials, or simply picked up the costs? I don't think it was free...

OTOH, I wonder how much better society would be if we all required X hours of community service in order to be provided welfare / benefits. Essentially a "government volunteer labor force" which cuts costs. 4 hour shift, however many days a week.

Might be the only way to save the programs that people depend on.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It'd probably be a lot less expensive than giving our money to bureaucrats to spend after they take their own cut.

True. Now only if we can pick someone to manage and coordinate the projects on our behalf.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
True. Now only if we can pick someone to manage and coordinate the projects on our behalf.

Escrow account and whatever local contractor comes in with the lowest bid. The standards already exist. If contractor doesn't meet said standards, contractor doesn't get paid.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that the government should not exist...I just believe that the federal government has its hands in places it shouldn't.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Escrow account and whatever local contractor comes in with the lowest bid.

Well you'll still need someone to run the bidding process, a bunch of people really if you're picking talking about local contractors for all the projects. And presumably they'll need salary, if they're to coordinate all the bidding processes around the country.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Cool little bridge.
art.kauai.crane.jpg

Hey since these guys have experience we should contact them when it's time to repair this bridge.
marquam-bridge-dreb0crw01722-s.jpg

I wonder if they have a bigger crane.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Well you'll still need someone to run the bidding process, a bunch of people really if you're picking talking about local contractors for all the projects. And presumably they'll need salary, if they're to coordinate all the bidding processes around the country.

Why not ask the community where the road/bridge is being built?

Why do you assume that you need one person for ALL bidding processes? Can you not think outside of centralized decision making?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Cool little bridge.
art.kauai.crane.jpg

Hey since these guys have experience we should contact them when it's time to repair this bridge.
marquam-bridge-dreb0crw01722-s.jpg

I wonder if they have a bigger crane.

Yeah because you would be bright enough to hire someone to build the bay bridge without the knowledge, manpower, materials and tools to do the job. <roll my motherfuckin eyes> lol

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah because you would be bright enough to hire someone to build the bay bridge without the knowledge, manpower, materials and tools to do the job. <roll my motherfuckin eyes> lol

Wait...isn't that exactly what the government did?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
if there was a free society without roads, then roads wouldnt be worthit.

roads, at least under the US Constitution, were corporate welfare projects.

maybe we wouldnt have roads without the State, but the market can always provide a substitute just as good.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Wait...isn't that exactly what the government did?

I'm not sure I follow where you are going. Are you saying that bureaucrats chose to build the bay bridge and appointed who would? Sure they may have made the decision for that but at what amount of cost? The moral aspect (stolen funds), the time (slow decision making) and money (paying the unproductive increases it).

"Government" did nothing, can do nothing and never has done anything. It's a parasite on the side of society as a leech is on a human body. The people have always done the doing and will continue to do so.

If I did not address your question please clarify.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

maybe we wouldnt have roads without the State, but the market can always provide a substitute just as good.

:biggrin:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Did roads exist to the west when it was being settled? How long did it take for a (albeit rough) road to be beaten into the ground?

Where there is a need there will be progress.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Educate yourself please - http://history1800s.about.com/od/transportation/a/nationalroad.htm

Thank the Indians, Military(Gov't) and National Government.

Use your brain please -

No, thank the people who did the work and the money they used to make it happen. However I'm sure it was financed through coercion as anything is that's "government" decided. What you fail to understand is that if people wanted to go west, as they did, they would build the roads for it to happen. At a time when wagon trails headed west it would be the same when cars need access to some foreign territory. No leech needed but surely the unthinking drones will not be able to bring forth anything of substance. Something as simple as a flat long thing? Nope. We need government for that. :rolleyes:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Use your brain please -

No, thank the people who did the work and the money they used to make it happen. However I'm sure it was financed through coercion as anything is that's "government" decided. What you fail to understand is that if people wanted to go west, as they did, they would build the roads for it to happen. At a time when wagon trails headed west it would be the same when cars need access to some foreign territory. No leech needed but surely the unthinking drones will not be able to bring forth anything of substance. Something as simple as a flat long thing? Nope. We need government for that. :rolleyes:

Yes, thank the Indians, Military and Gov't.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Lol. What applies to one 20ft bridge would obviously apply to the entire interstate highway system.
Pretty much what i was thinking.

You know, before this goes any further, can somebody point to a SINGLE EXAMPLE of a country that doesn't have government operated roads and which is entirely run by private individuals and doesn't have 99.9999% of its roadways looking like this:
african%20road.jpg

One example. Just name the country.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Pretty much what i was thinking.

You know, before this goes any further, can somebody point to a SINGLE EXAMPLE of a country that doesn't have government operated roads and which is entirely run by private individuals and doesn't have 99.9999% of its roadways looking like this:
african%20road.jpg

One example. Just name the country.

Except all of them have "governments". Is this a failure of "government"? In your world view its a shame that their ruling class doesn't steal from them right? You know, to build roads?

Also see my reply to the thoughtlessness above by Theb.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
No, some people know history and obviously you didn't learn anything about American Westward Expansion.

No, some people just cannot fathom anything outside the statist dogma. Did your mommy gubment make the fucking wagon trails? Now follow the thought through to the end with modern cars, dumbass.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
No, some people just cannot fathom anything outside the statist dogma. Did your mommy gubment make the fucking wagon trails? Now follow the thought through to the end with modern cars, dumbass.

Wagon trails? :biggrin: You know they weren't roads, right? And you know that they were created by wagons just going over the same path over and over again, right? And you know that most were just following old Indian trails, right? You know there's a reason they were called trails and not roads, right?

Wow, you might be more dumb than A420.

Last edited: