Bush To Push For Constitutional Ban On Gay Marriage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While I have no affinity for homosexuals, I do believe that they are natural, not artificial. Who knows, perhaps they are here to keep the population in check. Whatever. The point is that 10% of all animals are gay and I believe this to be a natural abberation. To create an amendment soley for the purpose of excluding a minority of the populace of whatever social pact they might want to endeavour in is in itself artificial and smacks of bias. It's unacceptable in an age of liberation
--------------------
Yup, throw the sick little F8cks a bone.

While I have no affinity for homosexuals, [Why was it important to say that?] I do believe that they are natural, not artificial. [Not artificial, wow!] Who knows, perhaps they are here to keep the population in check. [If you don't know don't make up stories] Whatever. [La la le la, see how indifferent I am] The point is that 10% of all animals are gay [amoebas tooI bet] and I believe this to be a natural abberation. [yup just some sick accident of nature] To create an amendment soley for the purpose of excluding a minority of the populace of whatever social pact they might want to endeavour in [now thats real clear] is in itself artificial and smacks of bias. [Does alot more that smack of it. It's bigotry pure and simple] It's unacceptable in an age of liberation. [This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, I know. More like the rise of fascist America. The Germans had a thing for Gays too.]

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Moonbeam:

But, it's progress. :) One timid step forward at a time for some folks. Sort of like leading them out of a deep, dark cave. :)

-Robert

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis
So I'm just guessing that everyone here also supports marriages of more than 2 people? After all, if the state can't limit it to just a man and a woman, then it can't limit it to just two people, no?

I been saying this for a while now. This just opens up a whole new can of worms. You'll have people wanting the status of marriage changed for all kinds of things. What really disgusts me is the idea someone is a bigot just beacuse they believe that a marriage is between 2 people of the opposite sex. Man you'll have people wanting to marry 4 and 5 folks at a time. Why if they can marry the same sex, why can't folks be married to more than one person. I'm telling you next you'll have folks wanting the right to marry pets, cars, and trains. This ain't going to ever end.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: classy
So I'm just guessing that everyone here also supports marriages of more than 2 people? After all, if the state can't limit it to just a man and a woman, then it can't limit it to just two people, no?

I been saying this for a while now. This just opens up a whole new can of worms. You'll have people wanting the status of marriage changed for all kinds of things. What really disgusts me is the idea someone is a bigot just beacuse they believe that a marriage is between 2 people of the opposite sex. Man you'll have people wanting to marry 4 and 5 folks at a time. Why if they can marry the same sex, why can't folks be married to more than one person. I'm telling you next you'll have folks wanting the right to marry pets, cars, and trains. This ain't going to ever end.
Funny you say that, it wasn't that long ago that marraige between a man and a women of different races were frowned upon by a large portion of the American Public

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Funny you say that, it wasn't that long ago that marraige between a man and a women of different races were frowned upon by a large portion of the American Public
still is .

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

I been saying this for a while now. This just opens up a whole new can of worms. You'll have people wanting the status of marriage changed for all kinds of things.

To put it plainly....bullsh*t.

What really disgusts me is the idea someone is a bigot just beacuse they believe that a marriage is between 2 people of the opposite sex.

No one is calling you a bigot for believing marriage is between two people of the opposite sex, but for denying rights to people who don't fit your definition of marriage.

Man you'll have people wanting to marry 4 and 5 folks at a time. Why if they can marry the same sex, why can't folks be married to more than one person. I'm telling you next you'll have folks wanting the right to marry pets, cars, and trains. This ain't going to ever end.

This is the most common argument against gay marriage, and it's, quite plainly a load of crap. I'm sure there is a big human/inanimate object marriage movement just waiting right? Two people wanting to be married is not some weird fringe thing, it's the same as what you are defending...two people in love. You just don't like it because it is two people of the same sex. You make it sound like this is some giant leap from what we have now, when in reality, it's very similar.

Feel free to keep spreading the same baseless argument though....don't let reason stop you.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Marraige should be change to an agrment to give 50% of your income to who, or what, ever it is your marrying for life and nothing else

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Classy:

Shaddup. Yer married to yer computer. :)

What's that vibrating mouth shaped port over there? :)

I just hope you didn't cross the line and do "it" with a P4. <cringes>

-Robert
-

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

Red, that may true and guess what still is, but its getting smaller. I think Strom Thurmond broke down some more walls. LOL :D Its better now than say even 9 years ago when I first married my wife. But her body was still made for for mine. She is a woman and I am a man. Period. You can try to reduce this to some apples to oranges comparison but there is none. Being gay is a choice.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Red, that may true and guess what still is, but its getting smaller. I think Strom Thurmond broke down some more walls. LOL :D Its better now than say even 9 years ago when I first married my wife. But her body was still made for for mine. She is a woman and I am a man. Period. You can try to reduce this to some apples to oranges comparison but there is none. Being gay is a choice.
Why would anyone choose to be Gay?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Being gay is a choice.

Did you read my post above? What if it was proven to be a biological trait that was set @ birth. Would you still feel the same way?

Edit:

Here is what I asked...

One thing I have noticed in this debate is that generally the people who oppose gay marriage seem to feel that the "gay lifestyle" is a choice. While I would agree there are gays who act extremely irresponsible, you can say the same about heterosexuals. I personally feel being gay is a strictly biological thing, in most cases, and not something that people choose to do.

Just for a second, think about this. Let's say you are a "normal" heterosexual male, and obviosly, are attracted to women. Do you think you could suddenly change the sex you are attracted to? Do you actually think you could decide one day that you prefer men sexually? IMO, something like attraction and sexual preference are purely biological. When you are attracted to someone, it is something that happens totally naturally without thinking. You have a physical reaction like raised heart rate among other things. These involuntary responses are not something that can just be switched to the opposite sex by choice...it just makes no sense.

Now, that being said, if you are currently against gay marriage/civil unions, and you feel being gay is a choice, not a biological "condition", and it was proven to be something that a person is born with, would you still object? If so, why?

Also, one more point. If being gay was indeed a choice, why would anyone choose it? What is there to look forward to? Being shunned by society? Having to hide your sexual orientation for fear of backlash or violence from homophobes? Not having several basic rights that "normal" couples have? Where is the upside that is making these people "choose" to be gay?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

Must be all the great perks...

rolleye.gif

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

The number reason among most lesbians who have been with men is because they got hurt by men so they dislike men now. That is a very common reason you hear among gay women. Men I am not sure. But thats like why would anyone choose to be Catholic or be a dentist. There is no one reason, but a multitude.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Men I am not sure. But thats like why would anyone choose to be Catholic or be a dentist.

Riiiight... choosing to be Cathloic or a dentist is the same as choosing to be gay...uh huh. You make so much sense in your posts....so logical.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Men I am not sure. But thats like why would anyone choose to be Catholic or be a dentist.

Riiiight... choosing to be Cathloic or a dentist is the same as choosing to be gay...uh huh. You make so much sense in your posts....so logical.

Look, we choose who we go to bed with. Period. So stop with the nonsense.
Being married is bewteen a MAN & a WOMAN. End of discussion.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

Sure you choose who, but what sex you are attracted to is purely biological. When you see a beautiful woman and your heart rate increases...is that a choice? As for stopping the nonsense, I would ask the same of you.

Regardless, you still avoided the question. If it was scientifically proven that being gay was purely biological and not a choice, would you feel the same way regardless??

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Classy:

Do you have one scientific, peer-reviewed study that proves that homosexuality is a choice?

Just one will do.

Thanks!

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Moonbeam was a bit perturbed by Dari's half-stepping. Understandable, but Dari is starting to show signs of being able to see shades of gray. In a couple of years we may him up to 16 color mode. :)

-Robert

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Mo

Ron

Say it with me now..

Mo

Ron

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Bush is going to put sexual orientation in our country's most sacred document.

THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE!

Can things get any more ridiculous?

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Bush is going to put sexual orientation in our country's most sacred document.

THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE!

Can things get any more ridiculous?

Dont you know that all gays are terrorists ?

;)

I dont know why bush is making such a big deal about this its not like they can reproduce and take over the world.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: chess9
Moonbeam was a bit perturbed by Dari's half-stepping. Understandable, but Dari is starting to show signs of being able to see shades of gray. In a couple of years we may him up to 16 color mode. :)

-Robert

Dari is an ubermench, chess, and doesn't believe in religion. Religious types are just grist for the neocon mill, stooges to be used and controlled. They get uppity occasionally as with a ban on gay marriage and have to be put back in their box. Similarly they can be annoying, the real religious types, who think Jesus was serious about love and that PNAC is immoral. Religious types, while marginally useful against the left, need to evolve and get up to speed with the Age of Liberation. Free that mind of God. Onward non-Christian soldiers......

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Wow.

"We choose who we go to bed with", because all smart people know this! If you don't believe this or have scientific or logical evidence to the contrary, you're an idiot, or a pagan, or a communist.
"So stop with the nonsense," because in furthering debate you're muddying the truth and simply trying to confuse all of us right-thinkers.
"Being married is between a MAN and a WOMAN" - if we were arguing in person, Classy, is this where you would start screaming and maybe start belittling the other side? Just shout louder, and it somehow further validates your "point"?
"End of discussion" - I can't really explain my point any further, so I'm going to limit my exposure to controversial ideas or thoughts by proclaiming that the subject is over. That's right, it's over. It's 1910 and we know everything we need to about physics and psychology. The moon is made of cheese and Mars has canals. We may as well stop debating and go back to living our happy little lives.

You're the worst kind of politico, Classy, ignorant and a bad debater all rolled into one. Either open your eyes to the light and have the guts to respond with logic and self-examination, or crawl back into your stuffy little hole. Don't waste our time with your childish behavior.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Does gay marriage hurt anyone? No.
So why is Bush against it? Simple. As pointed out on SNL last night, gay marriage = fabulous economy. :)