Bush: "No President has ever done more for human rights than I have."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
I can't think of ANYTHING Bush has done for human rights

so freeing 25,000,000 people from a totalitarian dictator who gassed his own people, had his own son-in-laws shot (rumor is he shot at least one of them himself) doesn't count? man..this is a tough crowd to please.

I think the people of Iraq may very well be better off in a couple of years than they were under Saddam. However, I don't believe Bush went to war for "Iraqi Freedom" or human rights. He never mentioned the Iraqis until he realized people weren't buying the other reasons.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I don't believe Bush went to war for "Iraqi Freedom" or human rights

typical liberal b.s.
you would have just let the iraqi's rot under saddam,
but since you are a liberal, you obviously hold the high ground on human rights.

Do you agree with Bush?

that's a bizarre question..of course i agree.
the more unbelievable thing is that you actually think Dean or any of the other nine dwarfs can win...

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBDB

I think the people of Iraq may very well be better off in a couple of years than they were under Saddam. However, I don't believe Bush went to war for "Iraqi Freedom" or human rights. He never mentioned the Iraqis until he realized people weren't buying the other reasons.

This is assuming Ahmed Chalabi doesn't loot the Iraqi treasury and the Shiites don't declare majority rule and wipe out the Sunnis!

Cheers!
Nate

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

typical liberal b.s.
but since you are a liberal, you obviously hold the high ground on human rights.

Dari must be a liberal then. Straighten him out, will ya Dari? Of course Dari won't publically disagree, nor will any other prowar member who disagrees. Like I said before, none of the prowar members EVER disagree with each other about the reasons for going to war. It's like a silent rule or something.

Do you agree with Bush?

that's a bizarre question..of course i agree. I think what he meant was if you agree with Bush that he's done more for human rights than any previous president. How is that a bizarre question?
the more unbelievable thing is that you actually think Dean or any of the other nine dwarfs can win...

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Abe didnt set out to free the slaves. Also while we went after hitler we turned a blind eye to the slaughtering that Stalin did, which was worse than what Hitler did. Stalin and the Soviets slaughtered more people than Hitler, and they got away with it.

You don't know what Abe set out to do, you are just guessing. And it is irrelevant because he freed more people than any other President, except possibly FDR depending on how you define his role in winning WW2 which freed everybody either in reality or from potential loss of human rights, no matter what he "set out" to do.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002

typical liberal b.s.

Typical moronic assumption on your part. I WOULD have supported Bush had he made that be his primary goal in the beginning, and at the time I wondered why he wasn't making that case. It is just because he didn't mention it until the other reasons failed to convince people that I became cynical about his motives.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: tallest1
Heres a simple question for the Bush-supporters: Do you agree with Bush?

Greatest President of all, greatest Economy, most jobs, highest wages, elimination of WMD and Dictators, no child left behind, flys onto Carrier Decks... a hell of a lot better than a guy getting some snooky under the desk right?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Gaard

typical liberal b.s.

Dari must be a liberal then. Straighten him out, will ya Dari? Of course Dari won't publically disagree, nor will any other prowar member who disagrees. Like I said before, none of the prowar members EVER disagree with each other about the reasons for going to war. It's like a silent rule or something.

Do you agree with Bush?

that's a bizarre question..of course i agree. I think what he meant was if you agree with Bush that he's done more for human rights than any previous president. How is that a bizarre question?

C'mon Dari. You going to let heartsurgeon get away with calling you a liberal like that? Doesn't it irk you just a little bit that he doesn't know the difference between an eventuality and a reason?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

typical liberal b.s.

Do you agree with Bush?

C'mon Dari. You going to let heartsurgeon get away with calling you a liberal like that? Doesn't it irk you just a little bit that he doesn't know the difference between an eventuality and a reason?

Divide and conquer won't work on me, Pinko.;)

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

I rest my case.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

typical liberal b.s.

Do you agree with Bush?

Is there ANY prowar member here who is willing to prove me wrong. Any of you members who believe the war was justified, but disagree with heartsurgeon that we went in for humanitarian reasons. I know there are those who believe this, I've spoken to you. Do you have what Dari lacks, the character to defend your beliefs? If a liberal (instead of heartsurgeon) had called you a liberal, would it make a difference?

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I can't think of ANYTHING Bush has done for human rights

so freeing 25,000,000 people from a totalitarian dictator who gassed his own people, had his own son-in-laws shot (rumor is he shot at least one of them himself) doesn't count? man..this is a tough crowd to please.

Well last time i checked Bush is the President of the US not Iraq. He should take care of the US people first then anybody else.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000

typical liberal b.s.

Today's conservative is just yesterday's liberal, you are a step behind!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I like how the neo-cons all of a sudden are concerned about the welfare of the Iraqi people when it became so obvious that there were no WMD's to be found ;)

Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBDB
Hmmm...as I am thinking back over the past couple years, I can't think of ANYTHING Bush has done for human rights. He should let people know all the amazing things he is doing!
rolleye.gif

The only thing I can think of that he's done FOR the cause of human rights (which is better described as Natural Rights, since most Human Rights organizations don't give a *damn* about the rights of humans...) is the war in Iraq. Other than that he's done a lot of government expansion (bad) giving more money to those goddamn farmers' subsidies (BAD) and of course, the HomeLand Security department (REALLY bad).

I think he's cracked ;)

Jason

EDIT: Oh, I guess helping topple the Taliban rule in Afghanistan IS a good Natural Rights effort, I had forgotten that until someone above pointed it out ;)

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Bump - for Gaard's straightforward & clarified questions. Should take only 3 letters to answer my question at least. *knock on wood*

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
but disagree with heartsurgeon that we went in for humanitarian reasons
do you honestly believe that there was no consideration whatsoever about humanitarian reasons for deposing Saddam...that's a really cold prespective to take.
why are we rebuilding iraqi schools, hospitals, museums and infrastructure if all we wanted was the oil? why don't we just "mow'em all down" or kill saddam outright and take the oil if that's what we're about.

why did Bush send troops into Liberia (we haven't ANY strategic reasons to go to that forsaken place), other than to save Liberian lives.
why did Bush pledge 15 billion to help fight AIDS in africa...Liberals have paid lip service to AIDS in Africa, he has actually committed cash.

have you ever heard bush speak about n. korea, and how he despises Kim Jong Il's rule because of how it impoverishes n. korean people...

why are you so convinced that Bush has no humanitarian motives?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
but disagree with heartsurgeon that we went in for humanitarian reasons
do you honestly believe that there was no consideration whatsoever about humanitarian reasons for deposing Saddam...that's a really cold prespective to take.
why are we rebuilding iraqi schools, hospitals, museums and infrastructure if all we wanted was the oil? why don't we just "mow'em all down" or kill saddam outright and take the oil if that's what we're about.

why did Bush send troops into Liberia (we haven't ANY strategic reasons to go to that forsaken place), other than to save Liberian lives.
why did Bush pledge 15 billion to help fight AIDS in africa...Liberals have paid lip service to AIDS in Africa, he has actually committed cash.

have you ever heard bush speak about n. korea, and how he despises Kim Jong Il's rule because of how it impoverishes n. korean people...

why are you so convinced that Bush has no humanitarian motives?

Because I'm convinced that without the threat of WMD (real or false) we wouldn't have gone to war. Do you disagree?

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

depends on the topic.

Iraq and the war on terror, yes
stem cell research/cloning, no
steel tarrifs, no
that we need to drill for oil in Alaska, yes
space exploration, yes
tax cuts, yes
stupid immigration policy, no
healthcare bill, no
education policy, no

but the sum of the yes's outweigh the sum of the no's in my opinion. we need to present a strong face and go after thos that wronged us, we need to be safe so we can pursue happiness.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Genesys

depends on the topic.

Iraq and the war on terror, yes
stem cell research/cloning, no
steel tarrifs, no
that we need to drill for oil in Alaska, yes
space exploration, yes
tax cuts, yes
stupid immigration policy, no
healthcare bill, no
education policy, no

but the sum of the yes's outweigh the sum of the no's in my opinion. we need to present a strong face and go after thos that wronged us, we need to be safe so we can pursue happiness.

I think he meant when Bush said he has done the most for human rights than any previous prez.