Bump Keys

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I want to try this out and the the keys, but what do they mean by "tips and shoulders are NOT modified"

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Mark R
So does anyone have a good list of locks that are immune to this attack:

General classes of locks that are immune are: Lever type mortice locks and Wafer/disc locks

Replaceable cylinder locks that are immune include:
Abloy: Disklock (pro) and Protec
Evva: DPI, 3KS and MCS
Gege: pExtra
Chubb/Medeco: Biaxial
Kaba: Penta

saved

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Hammerhead
In this video you can see how a ?bump? key can open up any door lock with ease.
The worst part is that it doesn?t leave any evidence of a break-in. So if someone uses this to get in your house and steals all your stuff, your insurance probably won?t cover it because there is no evidence of a break-in.
Video

Anyone can get these keys made at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc?
You can even get a set off of ebay!!!
ebay

Here?s a document that shows how it works.
PDF

"basic trick to open a lock by making the second pin jump away from the first,"

I dont get it. a tumbler in the lock has like 5+ pins. Why do you just need to knock the 2nd from the 1st?!

and what do u mean by knocking the 2nd pin away from the 1st? All pins are vertical and equal spaced apart.

Esplain pls

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDI
I dont get it. a tumbler in the lock has like 5+ pins. Why do you just need to knock the 2nd from the 1st?!

and what do u mean by knocking the 2nd pin away from the 1st? All pins are vertical and equal spaced apart.

Esplain pls

It means knocking the top 'half-pin' away from the bottom 'half-pin'.

See here.

Normally, the 'halves' are different lengths, so the key needs to have a different height for each pin - in order that the point where the pin splits lines up with the point where the lock barrel turns..

With a bump key, the idea is to apply a sudden upwards force, simultaneously to all the pins. Due to conservation of momentum, the bottom half tends to move relatively slowly, while the top half flies up. This should therefore, create a very brief period where there are no pins blocking the turning of the lock barrel.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
an ebay auction with 100+ sets got canceled, and there's no traces left. naturally this happens after i get paid. WINNAR!!!!

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
"your insurance probably won?t cover it because there is no evidence of a break-in. "

Either you have no clue what you are talking about or you have the world's worst insurance.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006

It means knocking the top 'half-pin' away from the bottom 'half-pin'.

See here.

Normally, the 'halves' are different lengths, so the key needs to have a different height for each pin - in order that the point where the pin splits lines up with the point where the lock barrel turns..

With a bump key, the idea is to apply a sudden upwards force, simultaneously to all the pins. Due to conservation of momentum, the bottom half tends to move relatively slowly, while the top half flies up. This should therefore, create a very brief period where there are no pins blocking the turning of the lock barrel.

Over time, would the top edge of the pin between the pin and the driver, wear down to a more curved surface? Possibly increasing the error and making the lock easier to open?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Door locks in general are pretty easy to defeat...but the easiest way into a home that is non-alarmed or guarded is to break a back window.

Going through the front door is the very visible and harder path.

Fortunately a lot of thieves are stupid and will sit and work at something until they are reported.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: AkumaX
an ebay auction with 100+ sets got canceled, and there's no traces left. naturally this happens after i get paid. WINNAR!!!!

huh? you put up an auction for 100 sets knowing it will get cancelled. and then scammed 100 buyers of their money? do you have any intention of returning the money?

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
yeah looks like Ebay pulled off all bump keys from their site. All I find are intructions on how to do it, but no sets.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
So does anyone have a good list of locks that are immune to this attack:

General classes of locks that are immune are: Lever type mortice locks and Wafer/disc locks

Replaceable cylinder locks that are immune include:
Abloy: Disklock (pro) and Protec
Evva: DPI, 3KS and MCS
Gege: pExtra
Chubb/Medeco: Biaxial
Kaba: Penta

good to know...

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Now all you would have to do would be to construct a small handheld device that has swappable bumpkey blades, and inside the device is a motor that sends strong, rapid vibrations into the key in variable pulses. This removes the need for the hammer and incorporates the twisting motion by just turning the device manually. Quick and efficient. You could also make a setting that would open biaxial tumblers, by just making it send vibration pulses down the key both vertically and horizontally.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Now all you would have to do would be to construct a small handheld device that has swappable bumpkey blades, and inside the device is a motor that sends strong, rapid vibrations into the key in variable pulses. This removes the need for the hammer and incorporates the twisting motion by just turning the device manually. Quick and efficient. You could also make a setting that would open biaxial tumblers, by just making it send vibration pulses down the key both vertically and horizontally.

If you could do that, you could probably figure out how to pick a lock old-school.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
Originally posted by: AkumaX

huh? you put up an auction for 100 sets knowing it will get cancelled. and then scammed 100 buyers of their money? do you have any intention of returning the money?

whoops! haha, i meant after i paid the guy :eek:

this sucks though.. i know some of you bought them too, do you think they'll send out their sets? (9.99 + 2.50)

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: mobobuff

If you could do that, you could probably figure out how to pick a lock old-school.

Well yeah, but the device would be much quicker and require less tools.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I can't imagine that lock on your door handle is really the biggest challenge posed to would-be house robbers.