Bump Keys

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
In this video you can see how a ?bump? key can open up any door lock with ease.
The worst part is that it doesn?t leave any evidence of a break-in. So if someone uses this to get in your house and steals all your stuff, your insurance probably won?t cover it because there is no evidence of a break-in.
Video

Anyone can get these keys made at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc?
You can even get a set off of ebay!!!
ebay

Here?s a document that shows how it works.
PDF

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Wow, scary stuff.

I guess having an alarm system might be one of the better ways to protect your house.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Get one of those chains and then I'm sure you'd be fine.

A deadbolt with only the inside mechanism would work well, too. But these are only solutions for when you're home. How do you lock them while you're gone?

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Everything ever invented for the purposes of the govt/law enforcement always ends up in the hands of criminals... no surprise.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Get one of those chains and then I'm sure you'd be fine.

A deadbolt with only the inside mechanism would work well, too. But these are only solutions for when you're home. How do you lock them while you're gone?

Obviously, you never leave the house ;)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
note to self, if thief steals my stuff using this technique, calmly back out of the apartment, look left, look right, then kick the door down. Then call cops and insurance company.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Tiamat
note to self, if thief steals my stuff using this technique, calmly back out of the apartment, look left, look right, then kick the door down. Then call cops and insurance company.

and/or replace said stolen merchandice from neighbors house using similar key :p

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
pretty tempted on the ebay auction, but i wonder if FBI would be watching the bidders... *tin foil ON*

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
How 'bout using built in combination locks on the doors.

Some cars in the past used touch pads to unlock thier doors.

This is scary stuff, 5 keys for $10 on eBay. Sheesh!

...Galvanized

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
How 'bout using built in combination locks on the doors.

Some cars in the past used touch pads to unlock thier doors.

This is scary stuff, 5 keys for $10 on eBay. Sheesh!

...Galvanized

I'm sure there would be a factory override that would get out and make certain models useless. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to call a locksmith/someone from the company and open the door, you'd have to either find another way in or bust the door down.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
your insurance probably won?t cover it because there is no evidence of a break-in.

You are so full of sh!t. Show me in your policy or any other policy where it says there must be evidence of a break-in for them to cover the loss.

fvcking dumbass.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
If you had a key cutting machine, you could make a fortune selling sets of these on Ebay. Especially right now while there are only a handful of people selling them on there.

And like the guy in the video said, it would be nearly impossible to make it illegal since virtually any type of tool could be considered a break-in accessory.

Pretty scary stuff but yet further reason why I have two large dogs in my home.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Tiamat

thats what i was thinking, bust a window or break the lock.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i saw bump keys used at a lockpicking convention (downloaded the video)... was quite impressive - the demostrator defeated several locks of varying pricing within 30 seconds

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So does anyone have a good list of locks that are immune to this attack:

General classes of locks that are immune are: Lever type mortice locks and Wafer/disc locks

Replaceable cylinder locks that are immune include:
Abloy: Disklock (pro) and Protec
Evva: DPI, 3KS and MCS
Gege: pExtra
Chubb/Medeco: Biaxial
Kaba: Penta